Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 long match grade ammo...is it worth the way more price.

Site Supporter
    Our club buys SK Standard in bulk. It's excellent ammo. We sell it to members for $60/500. Virtually all our 50 and 100 yard match shooters use it with good results.
    Last edited by Wyoming Shooter; 09-14-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Our club buys SK Standard in bulk. It's excellent ammo. We sell it to members for $60/500. Virtually all our 50 and 100 yard match shooters use it with good results.
    IIRC SK Standard is the same as Wolf Match Target. SK Standard Plus is equivalent to Wolf Match Extra.
    And I also had better than expected results with the old Winchester Dynapoints
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The real nasty secret of rimfires is that you have to find ammo the gun shoots into the smallest groups. When I get a new .22, I usually spend several range sessions figuring out what results in the smallest groups and then logging that information for future use. The best is when a gun shoots less expensive ammo really well.

CCI Standard Velocity is a good benchmark. If a gun does not group well with it, there is usually an issue. For me, that has been loose mount screws or a broken scope.
    Agree. I recently spent an afternoon trying a variety of ammo in an inexpensive Marlin XT-22 bolt action rifle, and was delighted to find that it did best with CCI Standard Velocity.

Given the reliability of CCI .22LR compared with the bargain bulk stuff, it's my brand of choice for general use -- Standard Velocity for the bolt-action rifles and MiniMags or AR for the semiauto rifles and pistols.

What the consensus on Federal .22 offerings? Specifically the Auto Match, 40 gr solid.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    IIRC SK Standard is the same as Wolf Match Target. SK Standard Plus is equivalent to Wolf Match Extra.
    And I also had better than expected results with the old Winchester Dynapoints
    I need to correct my earlier post. We are using SK Standard Plus. It's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    What the consensus on Federal .22 offerings? Specifically the Auto Match, 40 gr solid.
    A lot of local guys used to shoot the Auto Match in our long range silhouette matches with good results. I never got great results with it myself, and found Aguila Match Rifle performed better at a slight price premium. IMHO good for general use unless you want to sort it by rim thickness and/or weight. I like the Federal 810 and 710 high velocity stuff, it seems on a par with CCI MiniMag as far as quality goes. The really high end Federal match stuff shoots really well but at a steep price premium. The mid range match stuff seems good, but I've had better results with other, less expensive match ammo like the Aguila or Wolf.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

That has been my main learning round. I can consistently get groups in the 1.25"-2" range at 100 yds with my 3-9 scoped 452. I want to get to 1" consistently, so I am looking at better ammo. I bought a bunch of norma match (eley) at a good price, but it doesn't seem to group any better in my rifle. I think I'll try the SK/Wolf plus next, or the Aguila.

Site Supporter
    Much better than other bulk ammo, not as good as real match ammo.

Just bought a supply of CCI Standard Velocity.
    Largely because it has been so reliable for the local Speed Steel match I just started going to. Three matches plus practice 100% in M41.

Aquila is quite good and cheap, too.

I have some leftover salvage Wolf MT, ME, and SK Std+. It is accurate in a bolt action rifle but is very mild and does not cycle MY autos very well.

I have a 10-22 that when new was very accurate with Winchester Super X. It lost the gilt edge and is pretty ordinary with about anything now.

I had some early Dynapoint - the shallow hollowpoint supposedly developed for Australians to shoot large pest rabbits with - that was very accurate.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Here is a bit of a funny story as I like .22 Short more than I can reasonably justify. So after Sandy Hook, during the Great Ammo Vacuum, most anything Long Rifle became unobtanium. Centerfire ammo was scarce, but rimfire was just not available. I was compulsively haunting a few ammo web sites, including grafs.com, looking for "in stock" ammo. During one of my fruitless searches, I saw that Grafs had some .22 Short target loads that were supposedly used by or made for an Olympic shooting team. Sounded like a line, but ammo was not to be found in 2013, especially .22 Short. And the price was not too bad, especially compared to my usual CCI load. So I bought as much as I could justify. Desperation breeds its own form of stupidity.

When I got the ammo, I opened a plain cardboard box to find the end label says, "Made in Poland" and has the date, "26 Listop 1987", which translates to 26-NOV-1987. In other words, this stuff was made when I was in college, and the Berlin Wall was still a real thing. So I had bought cases of twenty-six year old Polish .22 Short ammo that may have been stored in unconditioned space for more than twenty years. Things were not looking promising, and I wondered if I had really made a mistake. The boxes looked good, the black plastic trays holding the rounds were nice, and the rounds looked fairly uniform, but this stuff was old and of unknown storage history. So I did not know what to think.

I decided to give it a try in a dedicated Bullberry .22 Short barrel wearing a Leupold 4X EER scope for my Contender pistol. After the first box, I was really impressed by two things. This stuff was quiet, and it was insanely consistent. I was shooting slow fire fifty-foot smallbore targets at about 100', and my groups were really small. After finishing the shooting session and wiping down the gun, I went back to Grafs and ordered all I could. I was so happy to find a consistent target ammo that worked for me.

A couple of days later, Grafs sent me an email that said they could not fill my order. That was the reality of the aftermath of Sandy Hook.

User Tag List