Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 long match grade ammo...is it worth the way more price.

.22 long match grade ammo...is it worth the way more price.

I was just looking a flyer, book from a place that sells aammo and other gun shooting supplies. They had .22 ammo of all sorts for sale and from every brand. The thing that amazed me was the price of what was labeled as match grade .22 ammo. Some of this ammo was selling for $18 to $20 dollars for a box of 50.

My question is weather or not you get that much better accuracy from this grade of ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I was just looking a flyer, book from a place that sells aammo and other gun shooting supplies. They had .22 ammo of all sorts for sale and from every brand. The thing that amazed me was the price of what was labeled as match grade .22 ammo. Some of this ammo was selling for $18 to $20 dollars for a box of 50.

My question is weather or not you get that much better accuracy from this grade of ammo?
    It is noticeably more consistent in weight and velocity. That's one less thing to control.

Site Supporter
    Define "that much better".

You're plinking with a stock 10/22 at 25 yards, you don't need it.

You want to be competitive at a small bore competition, yeah you need it. You want to practice precision shooting at 100+ yards with a .22 that matches your full size gun, yeah you need it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    It depends on the gun but yes you definitely can. At that price though I suspect mainly serious competitors use it.
    Last edited by APS-PF; 09-13-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Adam

If you are willing to hand sort by weight and rim thickness you can "approach" match grade results with standard grade ammo. You also might want to straighten and reform the bullets using a Waltz die or Paco tool. How much is your time worth as compared to the premium for the match grade ammo? Each .22 is an individual and sometimes they will shoot the cheap stuff just fine. You have to test a bunch to find out. That being said the best "bargain" match ammo I've used is Wolf Match Target and Aguila Match Rifle. I've shot the Aguila stuff out to 300 yards in a couple of match grade single shot rifles with excellent results.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I use a Marlin .22 rifle and Ruger Mk2 bull barrel pistol for small game hunting. I only take head shots on rabbits and grouse, thus accuracy is important to me.

I tend to put .22 ammo into three tiers:

1) The cheap bulk packaged promotional stuff like Remington Golden Bullet.

2) CCI

3) Expensive, target grade ammo.

There is a noticeable difference in accuracy between Tier 1 and Tier two. I often get unexplained fliers with the cheap promotional stuff. I am head of rabbit accurate with the pistol easily out to 25 yards, and further with the rifle with CCI.

In my guns at 25 and 50 yards, there is a difference between the CCI and the more expensive target ammo, but I have to shoot a pretty large number of groups, and literally bust out the calipers to see it. At 100 yards with the rifle, there match ammo is noticeably more accurate, but I don't care, because most of the places I hunt small game you can't even see 100 yards. If I routinely tried to kill small game at 100 yards, I would buy a .22 Mag.

I buy large quantities of CCI ammo. The step in performance justifies the price to me. For me, the juice isn't worth the squeeze on match grade.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

As someone who probably shoots 1,000 rounds of rimfire for every round of centerfire ammo, I have a wide variety of rimfire ammo. I break it up into five basic categories. Of course, the lines are blurry, and lots of ammo falls into more than one category.

1) Bulk ammo. This is usually only suitable for plinking using something like a 10/22, Marlin 60, or a Ruger Standard/MK-pattern pistol with fixed sights. One exception was the old Winchester Dyna-Point, which was standard velocity ammo that grouped well from many guns.
    2) High-velocity and hyper-velocity ammo that is used to make stuff blow up and make noise. Stuff tends to (but not always) group worse than bulk ammo and often has a non-standard case length. Think CCI Mini-Mags or Remington Yellow Jackets. Faster and louder.
    3) Hunting ammo. Stuff like CCI SGB. A lot more consistent than above, usually packed in plastic boxes to reduce bullet damage. CCI Standard Velocity can be used here even though it is a less expensive match ammo. Some of my most consistent ammo is standard velocity hunting stuff. When I shoot 200 yards with a .22 LR rifle, more often than not, this is what I use. Shoots well in my old Kimber 82G and in my T/C Contender Carbine.
    4) Subsonic ammo designed for use with suppressors or for quiet fun. Stuff like Remington SubSonic and CCI Quiet in .22 LR and the CCI 29-grain .22 Short target load. I frequently use Remington SubSonic in my Ruger pistols when I shoot in my backyard. I also use it for indoor Bullseye matches with one gun that groups well with it.
    5) Full-blown target ammo suitable for Bullseye and other formal competition. Everything from CCI Green Tag to Eley Tenex. Serious shooters buy lots of batches that shoot well in their guns. I have bought CCI Green Tag and some of the joint-venture Remington/Eley ammo, but I cannot justify the expense of some of the match ammo.

The real nasty secret of rimfires is that you have to find ammo the gun shoots into the smallest groups. When I get a new .22, I usually spend several range sessions figuring out what results in the smallest groups and then logging that information for future use. The best is when a gun shoots less expensive ammo really well. I have a few guns that love the old Winchester DynaPoint, and I have several cases of it in my ammo stash.

Weird stuff that has worked for me.

1) CCI Standard Velocity is a good benchmark. If a gun does not group well with it, there is usually an issue. For me, that has been loose mount screws or a broken scope.
    2) Switching brands without cleaning the bore with a few passes of the boresnake can result in inconsistent groups. The bullet lubrication plays a role. Eley lubrication is almost a liquid and is really messy. I cannot stand the stuff for any outdoor use. CCI is great for outdoor use.
    3) Standard velocity ammo has less wind drift/deflection than high velocity ammo at most any practical range. It has something to do with the losses caused by passage through the air being proportional to velocity.
    4) Stay away from Remington ammo. Even the new SubSonic is very inconsistent in both priming (failure to fire) and velocity distribution. Buy CCI.
    Last edited by farscott; 09-13-2017 at 07:16 PM.

I've been shooting some long range rimfire matches with small targets from 25 yards out to 200 yards. I checked the results for the last three matches. Wolf Match Target was used by 10 of 10 in one match and 8 out of 10 for the other two matches. The matches have a price limit of $8 a box of 50. Wolf MT is $6 a box.

I agree with Bill. I shoot Wolf or SKS match ammo when I want to use a .22 as a precision rifle trainer out to 250 yds.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    As someone who probably shoots 1,000 rounds of rimfire for every round of centerfire ammo, I have a wide variety of rimfire ammo. I break it up into five basic categories. Of course, the lines are blurry, and lots of ammo falls into more than one category.

1) Bulk ammo. This is usually only suitable for plinking using something like a 10/22, Marlin 60, or a Ruger Standard/MK-pattern pistol with fixed sights. One exception was the old Winchester Dyna-Point, which was standard velocity ammo that grouped well from many guns.
    2) High-velocity and hyper-velocity ammo that is used to make stuff blow up and make noise. Stuff tends to (but not always) group worse than bulk ammo and often has a non-standard case length. Think CCI Mini-Mags or Remington Yellow Jackets. Faster and louder.
    3) Hunting ammo. Stuff like CCI SGB. A lot more consistent than above, usually packed in plastic boxes to reduce bullet damage. CCI Standard Velocity can be used here even though it is a less expensive match ammo. Some of my most consistent ammo is standard velocity hunting stuff. When I shoot 200 yards with a .22 LR rifle, more often than not, this is what I use. Shoots well in my old Kimber 82G and in my T/C Contender Carbine.
    4) Subsonic ammo designed for use with suppressors or for quiet fun. Stuff like Remington SubSonic and CCI Quiet in .22 LR and the CCI 29-grain .22 Short target load. I frequently use Remington SubSonic in my Ruger pistols when I shoot in my backyard. I also use it for indoor Bullseye matches with one gun that groups well with it.
    5) Full-blown target ammo suitable for Bullseye and other formal competition. Everything from CCI Green Tag to Eley Tenex. Serious shooters buy lots of batches that shoot well in their guns. I have bought CCI Green Tag and some of the joint-venture Remington/Eley ammo, but I cannot justify the expense of some of the match ammo.

The real nasty secret of rimfires is that you have to find ammo the gun shoots into the smallest groups. When I get a new .22, I usually spend several range sessions figuring out what results in the smallest groups and then logging that information for future use. The best is when a gun shoots less expensive ammo really well. I have a few guns that love the old Winchester DynaPoint, and I have several cases of it in my ammo stash.

Weird stuff that has worked for me.

1) CCI Standard Velocity is a good benchmark. If a gun does not group well with it, there is usually an issue. For me, that has been loose mount screws or a broken scope.
    2) Switching brands without cleaning the bore with a few passes of the boresnake can result in inconsistent groups. The bullet lubrication plays a role. Eley lubrication is almost a liquid and is really messy. I cannot stand the stuff for any outdoor use. CCI is great for outdoor use.
    3) Standard velocity ammo has less wind drift/deflection than high velocity ammo at most any practical range. It has something to do with the losses caused by passage through the air being proportional to velocity.
    4) Stay away from Remington ammo. Even the new SubSonic is very inconsistent in both priming (failure to fire) and velocity distribution. Buy CCI.
    I've also found that old Winchester Dynapoint was extremely accurate in several different .22 rifles. I've lost track of the number of starlings that the Lord "called home" courtesy of that load all the way out to ~90 yards. And, CCI is some of the best .22 ammo made. One other load that I've stocked up as it shoots so well (accuracy) and is very good terminally on small game is the Winchester Power Point load. It parallels CCI as a good control load and it was widely available.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 09-14-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List