Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P30l vs P30sk

P30l vs P30sk

Hi guys - I'm looking for others experiences with the HK P30l. I currently shoot the HK P30sk with the V1 LEM. I shoot the gun quite well and find the LEM to be my preference for concealment and edc. I'm considering investing in an identical P30l for Idpa to stay consistent with platform.

1. Do you think the larger gun will offer any material advantages over the sk (with extended base plates) in terms of shootability or accuracy?

2. Is the P30L as reliable as say the P30 or a Sig p226? Reason I ask, I see some YouTube videos of guys complaining of malfunctions but there isn't as much commentary on the L as the regular P30 in general.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm currently at the 1200-round mark of a 2k round test with a P30L V3. There have been no malfunctions of any type to report.

The gun is stupid easy to shoot well. I'd be shocked if an SK was as easy for me to run.

Name:  hkp30l1000 2.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  31.1 KB
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Hi guys - I'm looking for others experiences with the HK P30l. I currently shoot the HK P30sk with the V1 LEM. I shoot the gun quite well and find the LEM to be my preference for concealment and edc. I'm considering investing in an identical P30l for Idpa to stay consistent with platform.

1. Do you think the larger gun will offer any material advantages over the sk (with extended base plates) in terms of shootability or accuracy?

2. Is the P30L as reliable as say the P30 or a Sig p226? Reason I ask, I see some YouTube videos of guys complaining of malfunctions but there isn't as much commentary on the L as the regular P30 in general.
    Yes, the P30L will be easier to shoot at distance, on account of sight radius, and a full size P30 or L will draw and reload better with their full size grip. I would get DA/SA and set up per member BCL, if you care about performance and are willing to learn a DA.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have both guns in V1 LEM. Both have been utterly reliable. I have never had a malfuntion with either or several other P30’s for that matter. The P30L just feels better to me, the recoil is smoother than a P30 or P30sk. My L is easier to shoot than the SK, no question. I have Heine sights on both. I also prefer a G34 over a G17, so maybe I just like the longer barrel/sight radius. Accuracy wise, the L and SK are pretty close, but I think my SK shoots more loads under 2” at 20 yards off the bench than this particular L. I normally carry the L and have a threaded barrel in it now. The gun had been shooting 1.5 to 3” high with the original barrel, but hits POA/POI now so I’m a happy camper.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

P30L V1 .40 s&w with exactly 400 rounds (mostly Underwood). Zero stoppages. Smoothest running .40 I have (Bill and Dot torture drills)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes, the P30L will be easier to shoot at distance, on account of sight radius, and a full size P30 or L will draw and reload better with their full size grip. I would get DA/SA and set up per member BCL, if you care about performance and are willing to learn a DA.
    How does BCL set it up?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How does BCL set it up?
    Good feedback and thank you for the quick replies. I'm less interested in performance and more interested in keeping the Set up the same as my sk since that's my edc.
    Last edited by Tomahawk; 09-12-2017 at 08:24 PM.

P30l vs P30sk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How does BCL set it up?
    For the V3, install the nickel plated sear spring, the light firing pin block spring (209296 IIRC), and a Wolff 12lb hammer spring. It drops the DA pull from about 10-11lbs to about 8.5 and significantly smooths out the DA pull. I like the DA pull better with this setup than the DA pull on the match trigger for USPs. SA is right around 4.5lbs.

Haven't messed with the LEM P30s, but I imagine that adding the nickel plated sear spring and light firing pin block spring would be as close to the match hybrid LEM that you can go without custom work.

All depends on what type of LEM you like, some people like a stronger reset, some don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BCL; 09-12-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BCL View Post
    For the V3, install the nickel plated sear spring, the light firing pin block spring (209296 IIRC), and a Wolff 12lb hammer spring. It drops the DA pull from about 10-11lbs to about 8.5 and significantly smooths out the DA pull. I like the DA pull better with this setup than the DA pull on the match trigger for USPs. SA is right around 4.5lbs.

Haven't messed with the LEM P30s, but I imagine that adding the nickel plated sear spring and light firing pin block spring would be as close to the match hybrid LEM that you can go without custom work.

All depends on what type of LEM you like, some people like a stronger reset, some don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Good feedback and thank you for the quick replies. I'm less interested in performance and more interested in keeping the Set up the same as my sk since that's my edc.

If your less interested in performance then just run the sk.

I prefer the L over the standard p30. Some people prefer the p30 to the p30L. The p30L is pretty much a standard full size 9mm even though it is "longslide version".

All my p30s regardless of barrel length have been stellar in the reliability and accuracy department. They inspire confidence in those areas.

The only issues I have heard with p30s is that they will sometimes have some malfunctions with low powered ammo when new. Usually the first couple hundred rounds.

Excellent guns and can't go wrong by getting one.

User Tag List