Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is Flite Control Always the Best Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I took multiple shotgun classes with him. In one, guys were comparing ten yard patterns from their Vang modified barrels, boasting as to which pattern was smallest. The smallest looked about like a slug. Louis announced that the reason for shooting buck and not slugs was to get some spread, and make the hitting part easier.
    I'm not sure I agree with his assessment. In this case, unless you're to take it that hitting someone with some buck is better than missing them with all of it. See my point?

In my, relatively uninformed opinion, the reason we shoot buckshot over slugs at close range has more to do with over-penetration than it does spread. Buckshot is extremely effective as close range, once it spreads out it becomes increasingly less effective, we know this, because physics. At <25 yards, a shotgun delivers, simultaneously, the equivalent of multiple handgun rounds into a moderate grouping size and as it delivers that energy it leaves it virtually entirely within a soft target.

In essence, I think of buckshot patterns like I do handgun groupings. I want ~2" group size at 25 yards with a handgun, when shooting, I'll accept 4-6" as "okay". Buckshot is the same way, you're delivering multiple handgun bullet sized projectiles simultaneously, I still want them to go where I want. Accurate is better, in the case of a shotgun with buckshot, to guarantee accurate, tighter patterns are generally better.

BUT - I could be wrong - I know Louis Awerbuck easily forgot more about shooting shotguns than I've ever known.

ETA: Thinking further. I suppose I can see the idea that its easier to hit a target with a fist than it is to hit it with a pebble. - But simultaneously, one must hit the target, right? And if the fist and pebble have the same mass and same energy which is more effective on target the fist or the pebble?

His comments had nothing to do with wounding people in Africa.
    Fair enough.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-02-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    I would also like to know if the LEB127 DPRS shell base is magnetic?
    It's brass. I ground the head of one down from the side to the primer cup and it's brass all the way through.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List