Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Flite Control Always the Best Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I'd wager it's more of a shotgun problem than a shell problem. I am astounded at how shitty the finish is on Mossberg chambers in particular. I also have thousands of shells downrange from benelli shotguns with literally zero stuck shells. I would bet it you smoothed out the chambers in shotguns that required special ammo to function, they would cease to need special ammo to function.
    I bet you are right. I've tried a couple of different ways to accomplish this and it has helped.

The difference in chamber finish between new Mossbergs and my 12 year old Mossberg is astounding. The new ones are pretty awful. Remington is in about the same boat from the last sample gun I had.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 09-14-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    I bet you are right. I've tried a couple of different ways to accomplish this and it has helped.

The difference in chamber finish between new Mossbergs and my 12 year old Mossberg is astounding. The new ones are pretty awful. Remington is in about the same boat from the last sample gun I had.
    I have not looked in a Remington chamber made "recently", but have on Mossberg. I was astounded. For a comparison, here is the chamber of my Benelli Supernova Tactical (about the cheapest gun they make).

Last edited by Unobtanium; 09-14-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    If you get a one hole group, why not just use slugs or a rifle?
    I'm far from a scientist, but watch a few deer hunting videos. If all the pellets hit with buckshot? 4 hooves in the air right there on the spot. Slugs? I see them run off a ways and then die.

My uneducated thought is that the multiple wound channels have a harder hitting effect on the nervous system than a single (although quite large) slug.

And, you get the best of both worlds, slug (or better) performance up close with shot performance at distance.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I think for many the answer is to use a rifle. I think there's a trend that way in patrol cars. When I came on, shotguns were THE long gun. Today a lot of guys have turned them in and rely on the AR. I still have both, but if I had to give one up it would be the shotgun.

However, one real big hole is tough for the body to deal with, as DB points out:

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    For me, I like rat holes if possible. Lot of air in, fluid out, and hard to fix. I use controlled buckshot with red dots. Dot, press, large hole.
    I guess I sorta-kinda-if-I-squint see the higher hit probability argument, but then you have to ask is a real big hole in a peripheral hit better than a few pellets that hit and a few that miss? I'm not seeing that as a gain, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I guess I sorta-kinda-if-I-squint see the higher hit probability argument, but then you have to ask is a real big hole in a peripheral hit better than a few pellets that hit and a few that miss? I'm not seeing that as a gain, honestly.
    I guess it depends on your environment. What's going to happen to the pellets that miss? Are they going out into the back 40, or into the neighbor's house?

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    Steve Fisher is who inspired my question. The direct quote regarding FLITECONTROL is: "often for home defense, it's too tight."
    One man's opinion!

Range mentality vs. real world. Just because it will make a single hole in a range target at 10 yards or less does not mean it is the same thing as a slug or a rifle round. When the "package" arrives the fun begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I'd wager it's more of a shotgun problem than a shell problem. I am astounded at how shitty the finish is on Mossberg chambers in particular. I also have thousands of shells downrange from benelli shotguns with literally zero stuck shells. I would bet it you smoothed out the chambers in shotguns that required special ammo to function, they would cease to need special ammo to function.
    Stuck shells in chambers are a pretty common occurrence with the Nova line. Not as common as with Remington or Mossberg, and polishing up the chambers takes care of most of the stuck shell issues.

No doubt that the Italian guns are better finished than the American made pumps. I think semi autos are just better at ripping shells out of chambers than a pump gun, Mossberg and Remington semi autos have crappy chambers and don't have stuck shell issues. There's no screwing around with the semi auto, the extraction is sudden and forceful. I'm not sure there's much of a distinction if you don't have function issues, but the gun being able to deal with sticky chambers and shells not sticking are two different things.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Stuck shells in chambers are a pretty common occurrence with the Nova line. Not as common as with Remington or Mossberg, and polishing up the chambers takes care of most of the stuck shell issues.

No doubt that the Italian guns are better finished than the American made pumps. I think semi autos are just better at ripping shells out of chambers than a pump gun, Mossberg and Remington semi autos have crappy chambers and don't have stuck shell issues. There's no screwing around with the semi auto, the extraction is sudden and forceful. I'm not sure there's much of a distinction if you don't have function issues, but the gun being able to deal with sticky chambers and shells not sticking are two different things.
    TO be fair, most of my experience is with the M4S90.

I'm sticking with DocGKR's thinking on this:

The new Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes.

User Tag List