Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Flite Control Always the Best Choice?

Is Flite Control Always the Best Choice?

I love FLITECONTROL buckshot theoretically. Reading a lot of shotgun training AAR's has left me wondering... If your engagement distances are nearly certain to be inside of 10-12 yards... is a pattern the size of a clenched fist at that distance the best choice?
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 09-12-2017 at 06:51 PM.

I would think that if you do not live alone, it would be a good thing.

I have family and friends stay over at Rancho Serious periodically. I'd really like to be very assured I know exactly where every single one of those nine 32-caliber lead pellets flying at 1600 feet per second end up.

I am responsible for every projectile I launch. Every single one.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 09-12-2017 at 07:23 PM.

What's your backstop?

You are responsible for every pellet you send downrange. Having them more widely scattered increases the chance of strays.

It's worth patterning different loads in your gun. In mine I found that the Remington reduced recoil produced tighter patterns than most other buckshot loads -- not as tight as Flitecontrol, but it's my first alternate.

I don't think the tight patterns of Flitecontrol are a liability at short range. Precision is good.
    Last edited by peterb; 09-12-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Depends on what you use it for. I like about an open hand size group for a given distance when practical.

El-cheapo buck shot patterns well for in the home distances/ under 15 yards. Start pushing beyond that in outdoor environments is where FC shines.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    I love FLITECONTROL buckshot theoretically. Reading a lot of shotgun training AAR's has left me wondering... If your engagement distances are nearly certain to be inside of 10-12 yards... is a pattern the size of a clenched fist at that distance the best choice?
    A clenched fist sized hole in a bad guy is a good thing.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Steve Fisher is who inspired my question. The direct quote regarding FLITECONTROL is: "often for home defense, it's too tight."

I don't believe there's such a thing as "too tight" a shot dispersion. Good COM hit is likely to immediately destroy things that will "switch off" your attacker near instantly. Peripheral hit will incapacitate whatever limb you happen to hit.

Flitecontrol seems to make buckshot a defacto slug at close ranges, and keep dispersion past "normal" shot ranges (which I consider anything past 10 yards, frankly, with "normal" buckshot, ESPECIALLY in shorter barrels) in the "I can confidently say I know where all 9 pellets are going" category.

So, yes, for me, it's Flitecontrol every time I load one of my "serious" use shotguns.

Fisher's take is 4-6 inches with consistent distribution at max distance inside your home.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    Fisher's take is 4-6 inches with consistent distribution at max distance inside your home.
    Got it. I think we're counting angels on the heads of pins here, though. "Fist size group" to me (using my fist) is 3 3/4" - which, in my scientifically challenged world, is just about close enough to 4" to be "good enough." I also know at 15 yards, if I don't have time or presence of mind to swap to a slug, that Flitecontrol is still going to be in a 6-8" group.

Also depends on what your engagement ranges are. Longest range for me in the house is likely 10-12 yards, and I'm sure Flitecontrol is going to be in the 4-6" dispersion range there (patterned at 25 yards, it's about 8-10" from my M2). If the longest shot in your house is 5 yards or so, yes, Flightcontrol is likely going to act like a slug (without as much penetration, of course). I still don't see how that's a bad thing - but I'm just a no-name-guy on the Interwebz.

With the 8 pellet low recoil 00 FLITECONTROL... my pellets are still in the wad from 7-10 yards.

I'm getting about 5-6 inch spreads at 20 - 25 yards!!!
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 09-13-2017 at 12:32 PM.

User Tag List