Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is Flite Control Always the Best Choice?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Didn't DocGKR write something about multiple simultaneous pellet impacts causing the kind of tissue tearing that you normally don't see with individual impacts of similar projectiles?

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure if that sounds familiar to me. In terms of vital anatomy, let's use this as our reference. For scale, the human heart is roughly the length/width of your open hand.

As you can see, basically everything in the chest is highly vascular. If you throw a projectile into the top of the chest - especially a 1oz slug - you are going to put someone in a world of hurt.

While it is conceivable that a wider spread might put a 00 pellet into the heart where a slug or tight shot pattern might pass right by, but remember:

1) everything in that area is extremely fragile (pulm A/V/hilar structures, aortic root, thoracic aorta)
    2) as pellets spread and impact individually, they quickly lose momentum because of their rounded shape. A round, slow-moving, soft (lead) projectile is far less likely to penetrate a hard, bony structure like the ribs than something else with greater momentum.

I have never seen anyone who has been shot in the chest not go to the OR - even with just a handgun. Basically, I really don't think having a "wide enough" spread is something to worry about. If all 9 pellets of 00 buck connect with the head or torso, your target is not likely long for this world, no matter how tight the spread is or not.

To qualify, I am still very junior in my training, but I've seen probably somewhere around a few dozen GSWs. Always open to correction from others who have a bigger piece of the puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    I didn't even call it a theory, I left it at uneducated thought!

I guess I should have said it was more of an observation. I'll just chalk it up to dark voodoo magic. lol
    No worries, and I hope my reply wasn't too rude or dismissive. There are lots of ideas out there and I think most all of them are worth considering. Only adding my piece of the puzzle
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-18-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Meh. I'll stick with cycling an empty action to scare baddies away, and if that doesn't work, bird loads will do the trick.

*joking*

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    No worries, and I hope my reply wasn't too rude or dismissive. There are lots of ideas out there and I think most all of them are worth considering. Only adding my piece of the puzzle
    Not at all sir, I was just clarifying both my lack of scientific knowledge in the matter as well as my lack of confidence in my conclusion!

Slugs are fantastic and offer similar ballistics to old time Civil War era musket balls; however, plan on the projectile exiting the target.

When using multi-shot 12 ga. ammunition, no other shotgun load we have tested has surpassed the Federal Flight Control #1 buckshot load in terms of tissue trauma and ideal penetration range.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Slugs are fantastic and offer similar ballistics to old time Civil War era musket balls; however, plan on the projectile exiting the target.
    I had no idea musket balls were that potent!

Big 60-70 cal holes with high mass projectiles which crush through bone...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

correct it is and also that has been tested on movers movers in low light and while moving on movers
    and having some spread isn't a bad thing and by spread i mean max distance for most peoples roll as a home gun
    and having apex 4-5 inch spread at that distance as being acceptable
    not everyone needs flight control
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    One man's opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

When using multi-shot 12 ga. ammunition, no other shotgun load we have tested has surpassed the Federal Flight Control #1 buckshot load in terms of tissue trauma and ideal penetration range.
    Don't most slugs frag badly? I have no lab, but only brenneke and remington sluggers have made it through more than 3 jugs of water. 75gr gold dot did 4 and into the 5th. Sluggers and brenneke hold togather and penetrate. Federal and winchester frag. Gel tests mirror mine, with the truball slugs failing fbi minimum standards in bare gel. Part of why I love remington slugs. 1 hole groups at 50 yards, and they hold together.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-01-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Don't most slugs frag badly? I have no lab, but only brenneke and remington sluggers have made it through more than 3 jugs of water. 75gr gold dot did 4 and into the 5th. Sluggers and brenneke hold togather and penetrate. Federal and winchester frag. Gel tests mirror mine, with the truball slugs failing fbi minimum standards in bare gel. Part of why I love remington slugs. 1 hole groups at 50 yards, and they hold together.
    The Truball Deep Penetrating load LEB127 DPRS will hold together better than the standard Truball.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The Truball Deep Penetrating load LEB127 DPRS will hold together better than the standard Truball.
    Right, no expansion though. Brenneke seems the best of all worlds. No secondary projectiles, good expansion, good penetration. I'm just put off by docgkr saying it's loaded by a shitty 3rd party, as I understand?

User Tag List