Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP101 Match Champion

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

SP101 Match Champion

Did not know they had released this. I think it is cool. That is all.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101M...eets/5782.html

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  25.8 KB
    Image from Ruger site being used to discuss Ruger product...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I thought it was cool as hell too. I mean, I've got a GP100 Match Champion, and a Wiley Clapp GP100, and a Wiley Clapp SP101, so why not this SP to "complete the set".....

I guess I don't understand the appeal of a 4" 5-shot revolver.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    I would rather have a three inch Wiley clapp

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I never got that either. My brother has a 4" SP101 and, although it's svelte and balances well, I wish he would have gotten the GP100...mainly so I could have access to one without having to fork out the cash to actually buy one (yeah, it's all about me ��). Seriously, a 3" I can understand, but that 4" tube reminds me of a toucan's beak; however, it does shoot very well.

Site Supporter
    I'm 95% sure I saw one of these at the range last week. A guy and his teenage son got there a few minutes after I did and unpacked a bunch of revolvers. The dad had a couple of single actions of some sort and a 1911, but the son's revolver is what caught my eye. Given the barrel length, size of the revolver, and how much the muzzle jumped, I really thought it was a .327 Federal SP101 (LINK). Finally I was curious enough to ask what he was shooting, and I was really surprised when they told me it was a .357. It looked like a nice pistol, but as GreggW pointed out, having the 4" 5-shot revolver is a bit of an odd bird.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    The dimensions would appeal to me as a hunting secondary. Like in the old time gun writer tales of rifle hunting but with a sidearm loaded some .38 wadcutters for small game targets of opportunity. A rabbit or grouse for the camp's dinner. The kind of hunting I romanticize but have never actually done.

I've always thought one of 4" "Kit Gun" format J frames in .357 would be pretty slick too. They even had a short run of 5" ones I'm pretty sure.
    Last edited by JHC; 09-13-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The dimensions would appeal to me as a hunting secondary. Like in the old time gun writer tales of rifle hunting but with a sidearm loaded some .38 wadcutters for small game targets of opportunity. A rabbit or grouse for the camp's dinner. The kind of hunting I romanticize but have never actually done.

I've always thought one of 4" "Kit Gun" format J frames in .357 would be pretty slick too. They even had a short run of 5" ones I'm pretty sure.
    Actually, that sounds like a lot of fun. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted something to shoot rabbits with while pheasant hunting. #4 is a little to effective on bunnies.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

That is a super nice "kit gun" for lowland fishing and woods bummin in this part of Idaho. Plenty of venomous snakes and varmints to deal with here in the "outdoors". Stronger than a Smith and just as easy to carry.

I have a 3" SP in 357 and if I didn't, I would buy one.

Is there a "Match" where this SP101 is a viable competitor?

This has been bothering me for two days. I'm racking my brain trying to think of a single competition where a 4" SP101 is a viable gun. Nothing in ICORE, not USPSA Revolver, nothing in IDPA.

User Tag List