Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

Consider me the oddball because I'm fed up with Apple.

I'm sitting in my home office which has a 27" iMac and a Mac Mini (file and print server + time machine backup box for wife's Mac laptop). When my MacBook Pro had a graphics card issue I opened it up and was appalled at the crap construction of the thing. 700 dollar Dell laptops use much better hardware and they don't use freaking tape to attach ribbon cables.

I feel like I'm escaping Scientology.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I will buy one.

iPhone is to glock the way that android is to all the phaux-Glocks (aka, m&p, ups, CZ whatever, plastic beretta, p320, p99, Len, whateverthefuck)

Just like all the Glockophobes buy all that other silly shit just so they can say they have a glock without saying they have a glock, so do the a droid buyers have to make up because:reasons.

Actually, it just occurred to me that the android is apparently the phone OS of the millennial, which reveals yet another motivation glockophobes and android homos share: I-am-not-my-father.

Kind of amusing that the glock has now been around long enough that it's the old man gun. I remember when it came out and it was the young man's gun and thenold guys used 1911s. Same way the iPhone came out and the old folks were all "get away hippie! I'm fine with this here flip phone! Look, it has a button on the side and it works like a walkie talkie!"

My gun is still blued steel and walnut, in that old man caliber. And the only thing my watch does is tell me the time, and only if I shake it around. But I'll continue buying iphones for the foreseeable future

Looks like rob s has moved onto glockophobe now instead of overusing the word snowflake in every post.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 09-12-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Yeah, I was reading about it today. Not sure how I feel about that feature (or trap), but I can tell you that I am most unhappy with the inability to charge the phone and listen to the MP3 in the vehicle. I don't normally listen to music while driving around town, but on extended road trips I like the ability to charge the phone while using navigation and listen to music, but I can no longer do that with the 7. I've notified Apple, and I'm quite certain they will address this issue going forward.
    Last edited by GCBHM; 09-12-2017 at 09:17 PM.

And the only thing my watch does is tell me the time, and only if I shake it around.
    I recently got a smart watch.
    Name:  12547324_1010373735688467_2020050629_n.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  56.4 KB
    (stock photo because it's mirrored and really hard to get a picture of)
    Last edited by scott; 09-12-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    I don't see myself upgrading to the X, especially with the price tag. Maybe an 8+, but I'm probably just going to try and find a good used 256gb 7+ or 128gb 6S+ and go with that when my 6s kicks the bucket. I tend to be a generation or two behind adopting new tech (my first iPhone was a 5S after running a Blackberry Curve until it wouldn't run anymore). I hate paying to be a beta tester. To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed with what Apple has been doing. I liked my 3.5 headphone jack, I liked the fingerprint/home button setup. The 6S was probably my high water mark. Everything beyond that seems to be lost on me. Then again, I'm not really the target demographic for a lot of this stuff.

Given what I do with my computers at home, I've been sorely tempted to go Mac/Apple on everything, but I know nothing about running CAD on them. I'll probably stay with Windows machines for now on the home front with Apple mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, maybe an Apple Watch . . . maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I will buy one.

iPhone is to glock the way that android is to all the phaux-Glocks (aka, m&p, ups, CZ whatever, plastic beretta, p320, p99, Len, whateverthefuck)

Just like all the Glockophobes buy all that other silly shit just so they can say they have a glock without saying they have a glock, so do the a droid buyers have to make up because:reasons.

Actually, it just occurred to me that the android is apparently the phone OS of the millennial, which reveals yet another motivation glockophobes and android homos share: I-am-not-my-father.

Kind of amusing that the glock has now been around long enough that it's the old man gun. I remember when it came out and it was the young man's gun and thenold guys used 1911s. Same way the iPhone came out and the old folks were all "get away hippie! I'm fine with this here flip phone! Look, it has a button on the side and it works like a walkie talkie!"
    Wait...I thought iPhones were the hipster devices of choice?

I'm so confused...

If I switch to a Colt 1911 in .38 Super, do I have to buy an Android phone too?

What kind of pocket knife do I have to switch to? Something coppery, with a straight-razor esque profile?

Quote Originally Posted by ImNobody View Post
    Once again, Apple is super excited about features that have been available on Android for a while.... AR, Qi wireless charging, bezel less display, oled display, tap to wake, Siri always on, facial recognition unlock (which didn't work at first on the live steam), dual OIS cameras. Not only that, but there is no way that the facial recognition system is going to be faster or more convenient than the finger print reader. I have no doubt that Apple simply couldn't fit a reader into their design.

Still no fast charge, no SD card, no dual SIM.

The biggest new stuff: animoji and snap chat masks. Seriously Apple, this has been super underwhelming. All this at a cost that is above even the most expensive Android phone and $200-400 more than most flagship Android phones right now.
    I noticed that Face ID didn't work initially during the event today. Pretty funny. I also found the amount of time devoted to sending talking poop messages to your friends to be, well, interesting. Also that the X has the first OLED good enough for the iPhone....no mention of the manufacturer of that OLED panel though

I'm not interested in either the 8 or X; I'm an Android whore though I do have a company issued 6S. I suppose in a couple of years that I'll probably have an 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Consider me the oddball because I'm fed up with Apple.

I'm sitting in my home office which has a 27" iMac and a Mac Mini (file and print server + time machine backup box for wife's Mac laptop). When my MacBook Pro had a graphics card issue I opened it up and was appalled at the crap construction of the thing. 700 dollar Dell laptops use much better hardware and they don't use freaking tape to attach ribbon cables.

I feel like I'm escaping Scientology.
    So, how old is the Mini? Selling it?
    #RESIST

User Tag List