Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Slug Precision

That's what I used to get from Sluggers at 100 yards, which is why rifled barrels and sabots became the thing for hunting. You could expect to cut groups by at least half with a rifled barrel/sabots.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Last week, after a long time with closed ranges, me and a friend finally were able to do some target shooting. I used the oportunity and shot a little bit with my VP9 at 50m (about 55yd). I kept all shots in a 25cm circle. My friend shot his AR15 at 50m, using iron sights and keeping all of his shots in a circle of 5cm. So I guess our shooting was okay that day, by our standards and given the fact that we did mostly dryfire for about a half year.

Then my friend took out his new ATA Arms Neo tactical 2 shotgun, equipped with an UTG reddot and we shot it with slugs at 50m. He had zeroed it in at 25m the week before and kept all his shots in a circle of about 10cm. So accuracy seemed okay to us.

My first five rounds (at 50m) were in a circle about 40cm. My friend initially did better than me, but after a few shots the rounds started hitting anywhere on the target. We suspected that the reddot might not work, so we put it of the gun and used iron sights instead. The result was, that we didn`t even hit the target anymore. We fired about 30 rounds, but the point of impact got more and more unpredictable.

Now I do most of my training with handguns and I have no problems to admit, that I`m not as good with a shotgun as with a handgun. But anyway if I use the MP5 or a rifle I allways shoot tighter groups than with a handgun. So doing worse at this range with a shoulder fired weapon than with a pistol seemd strange to me. Additionally my friend is a way better shooter with a shoulder fired weapon than me. Yet he didn`t score good hits, too.

Do you have to expect this level of accuracy with slugs at this range? Is the shotgun/ammo just crap? Is there anything we just don`t know? Or are we really that incompetent?
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

@Luger, respectfully, the first thing to check with heavy recoiling guns is the shooter. It's very easy to start flinching.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Flinching is a possibility, but I would also check the barrel for leading. Some shotguns dislike slugs, and some slugs are soft and/or undersized and lead badly. If it is leading, accuracy gets worse as you shoot more.

@ Hambo: I have no problem to put my ego aside and accept, that it was just our fault. But I`ve shot heavy recoiling rifles like the G3 and the K98 at distances up to 300m, so I don`t think recoil was the issue. Anyway, we`ll check the two shooters at our next trip to the range.

@revchuck38: I told my friend to check the barrel and we`ll try other slugs next time.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The exact slug you are using, the barrel, and your sighting system make a difference.

A red dot style optic is more precise as a means of confirming aim. Irons, whichever flavor you prefer, are difficult to use with the same sort of precision at distance.

The slugs themselves make a huge difference. As an example, I have yet to find a gun that groups well with Winchester's segmented slugs. It's a lovely concept for terminal ballistics, but at 50 yards they're all over a silhouette target with every gun I've tried.

I have found Fiocchi's Aero slugs to shoot very accurately from most of my shotguns. On my 1301 using my dot I can reliably make the slug holes touch at 50 yards from a good supported position. The only problem I have is that on the 1301 those slug holes are about 16" away from my intended point of aim. They shoot closer to my buckshot POA on my Remington 870 shotguns.

I have found Federal's Tru-Ball slugs shoot accurately enough out of my guns that the holes on the paper touch.

Lower or mid-velocity slugs (1,100, - 1,300 FPS) might shoot a little more accurately for you than max velocity slugs. (1,600 FPS +) Just as higher velocities tend to make for worse buckshot patterns because of the extra violence going down the bore, it can do the same for slugs.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The exact slug you are using, the barrel, and your sighting system make a difference.

A red dot style optic is more precise as a means of confirming aim. Irons, whichever flavor you prefer, are difficult to use with the same sort of precision at distance.

The slugs themselves make a huge difference. As an example, I have yet to find a gun that groups well with Winchester's segmented slugs. It's a lovely concept for terminal ballistics, but at 50 yards they're all over a silhouette target with every gun I've tried.

I have found Fiocchi's Aero slugs to shoot very accurately from most of my shotguns. On my 1301 using my dot I can reliably make the slug holes touch at 50 yards from a good supported position. The only problem I have is that on the 1301 those slug holes are about 16" away from my intended point of aim. They shoot closer to my buckshot POA on my Remington 870 shotguns.

I have found Federal's Tru-Ball slugs shoot accurately enough out of my guns that the holes on the paper touch.

Lower or mid-velocity slugs (1,100, - 1,300 FPS) might shoot a little more accurately for you than max velocity slugs. (1,600 FPS +) Just as higher velocities tend to make for worse buckshot patterns because of the extra violence going down the bore, it can do the same for slugs.
    I have actually found in Benelli bores that high velocity slugs are most accurate, even among same brand (Truball, Slugger, etc high velocity flavors always outshoot low).

What is everyone’s thoughts on barrel clamps and slugs. I’ve heard, but never actually seen, people complain of accuracy issues with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 Gauge smoothbores and slugs are a special kind of voodoo. Before I left my old agency, I was on a committee that was examining replacing all our weapons. We had a mix of 3rd Gen Smith 9's and .40s, MP5s with semi-auto trigger packs, and Remington 870s with a mix of bead and rifle sights made from the 1960s to the 1990s.

One question we wanted to answer is was "do we want to continue a shotgun program, and if so do we want to have slugs as a primary or optional load."

We took a bunch of different shotguns and a bunch of different slugs to the range and couldn't find a single load that performed consistently among all the guns. We could get 50 yard cloverleafs with brand X in one gun, and that ammo wouldn't be on the paper out of the gun on the rack next to it. Brand Y would perform completely different. That was before we addressed POA/POI issues with slugs.

Before we stood up the committee, everybody wanted us to buy Glocks and AR15s. We wound up recommending we buy Glocks and AR15s, but I got paid a bunch of OT to shoot guns.

I loved shotguns and was loathe to let my 14" 870 go, but as an agency it was the right decision overall. I was for it, for no other reason than the command staff was adamant about keeping 12 gauge less lethal guns, and I was of the firm opinion that having both 12 gauge lethal and 12 gauge less lethal guns in circulation was negligent, bordering on reckless. A few years later a neighboring agency found out how true that was the hard way.

For personal use, the only real solution is to buy a bunch of different slugs and see what shoots to your standard out of your gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I gave up on true "precision" with Foster- or Brenneke-type slugs out of the average shotgun, settling for a "good enough at reasonable ranges" standard that - given my eyes - gets shorter as I get older. If I were hunting deer in this state today, I would probably have to go with a sabot setup or say to hell with it and go with a large caliber muzzleloader. Scoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    For personal use, the only real solution is to buy a bunch of different slugs and see what shoots to your standard out of your gun.
    So true. When some of us were going through a phase where we were doing long range slug plinking we found out that all slugs were not created equal. By the time it became more "fun" than we could stand, we had concluded that shotgun/slug preferences were frustratingly individualistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    What is everyone’s thoughts on barrel clamps and slugs. I’ve heard, but never actually seen, people complain of accuracy issues with them.
    I suspect it might affect accuracy to some degree, but would be a chore to sort out given the larger accuracy issues slug guns have. That being said, the most consistently accurate 12 gauge old-school slug launcher I have personal knowledge of was a Winchester 37 that had nothing whatsoever touching its barrel past the forend (and even it did not shoot EVERY slug well... that gun also kicked the snot out of the operator).

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I like the V-rear with the XS bead for fast work, but this ghost ring setup sucks.
    I have the low-profile XS bead front/V rear "DEA-style" barrel on my remaining general-purpose 870P and prefer the setup to anything else because I can either use or ignore the rear. It is fast yet sufficiently helpful. My experiences with ghost rings and apertures on shotguns have been disappointing, though theoretically they made sense at the time.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List