Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Slug Precision

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    He kindof dragged himself in a half circle, then shakily dragged himself upright, and all the time I was thinking "He's done. Just got some pressure back because he was supine, you took out the pump-house...."
    That's when you should have shot him again.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's when you should have shot him again.
    Knowing what I know now, 100% agree. I thought he was done, though. Live and learn, he was the 3rd deer I've shot.

ALERT. Rambling post ahead. Read with caution, or just skip it.

My shotgun options are:

Remington 870P with Trijicon rifle sights
    Remington 870P with MMC ghost rings
    Remington 870 Tactical with XS ghost rings
    Mossberg 590A1 with Mossy's ghost rings
    Benelli M1 Super 90 with Benelli ghost rings

Of the above, the best performer with slugs is the 590A1. It loves the Federal Tactical slugs and will cloverleaf at 50 yards if I do my job. I've always been an 870 guy, but this particular 590A1 is winning me over.

The 870P with MMCs is acceptable with the Federal slugs. This gun previously was a bead/pedestal gun, and it threw good buckshot patters but slugs at 50 yards required KY windage. I got the MMCs for a good price, and while they give me acceptable performance, I am not wild about them and still consider this a buckshot gun and not a slug gun.

The Trijicon sighted 870P gives acceptable performance with the Federal slugs and throws good patterns. I prefer the sight picture that I get with the open rifle sights to the ghost rings, and I am much faster with it.

The M1 is acceptable with slugs, but front sight is too wide to truly be precise.

Finally, the 870 with the XS sights... sucks. This is an issued gun that we bought when I was going to the FBI firearms instructor class. At the time, the only only one of the above shotguns that I had was the 870P that then only had the bead sight. The FBI course calls for slug shots at 50 yards. I went to the local cop shop, and the only shotgun they had in stock with adjustable sights was this 870. I managed to get it somewhat sighted in with Fiochi slugs as they were the only thing available locally as this was during one of the ammo shortages. I passed the class. Later, I stocked up on Federal slugs and found that there was not enough adjustment in the sights to sight it in with them. Everything hits high.

I called XS and was told that this was common. They told me to bottom out the rear sight and then take it up 1.5 turns and shoot a group at 25 yards, measure the distance between POA/POI and call them back, and they would send me a different height front sight. I did this yesterday with some Brenneke. It groups 4" high at 25 yards. Another 870 with these sights grouped similarly.

The other issue with these sights is that the aperture is small and the front sight is huge. The sight picture just... sucks to me. I like the V-rear with the XS bead for fast work, but this ghost ring setup sucks.

I have a milsurp RMR; so, I put it on along with a Magpul check riser and sighted in at 50 yards. The dot is too big (6.5 MOA) for truly precise work, but I'm now shooting with good enough groups that I feel comfortable with it. It's stoked with Brenneke slugs and is in the truck for the exclusive purpose of putting a slug in an engine block if needed.

__________________________________________________ _____

Opinion time:

For my purposes, Flite Control buckshot has practically eliminated slugs from my shotgun usage. I sighted mine in with the Federal slugs previously, but I'm not even putting any slugs in my side saddle, and I'm not even bothering to sight them in with the Brennekes that I bought for the Office.

If I truly needed precision with slugs, I'd go with a red dot that I could dial in properly. As it is, the 2-3" groups that i am getting with my available sighting systems are good enough for me.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    but my first deer? I was "wtf" about how far he went, and when we gutted him, well, I was very non-plussed about the lack of trauma to organs.
    On medium sized game like deer the good old fashioned soft lead Foster slug's shortcomings (tendency to pancake and/or fragment) become a plus.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    On medium sized game like deer the good old fashioned soft lead Foster slug's shortcomings (tendency to pancake and/or fragment) become a plus.
    That is my conclusion.

They were both heart/lung shots. The first one hit a little farther back than I'd like, but still hit the heart and lungs. It barely nipped a touch of gut. I was shooting directly into the sun in the early morning, and the deer was slowly walking, so I forgive myself. He ran a good ways. I did not pace it off, but I'd estimate it at about 100ish yards, in sortof an "L" shape, first taking off down the spine of the mountain, and then hard right down the side, where he piled up mid-way toward the bottom.

The second deer went a minimum of several hundred yards. We never found him, literally looked 8 hours, and we saw no buzzards the next day, or the next. He left blood at the scene, and like I said, he dropped like hit by lightning, literally all 4 feet in the air. I am new to hunting and have HEARD that deer can run off after seeming dead, but...well, now I have seen it.
    Was the deer quartering away/towards you? How'd you hit the stomach and the heart?

That is my conclusion.
    Given similar shot placement I still prefer the federal DP. The sluggers are good too

I have been using Mossbergs a long time and prefer them over Remington's but I do like the older 870s and my 11-48.

I'm pretty comfortable with GRS out to 100-125 yards. Past that they drop to much for me to bother.

I've carried/shot the m1014 a lot when I was in and got real comfortable with what the slug can do inside 100 yards. Now I use my 590a1 for hunting/competing. RDS are much better, just like on carbines but I'm comfortable with GRS.

Like the above poster said, flight control buck has almost eliminated slugs from my use. I've used both federals 00 and Hornadys versatight#4 buck on deer out to 50 yards with very impressive results. I also routinely pattern my guns at that distance.

Generally if I think I'll be shooting past 50 yards I'll grab a rifle but I am pretty happy plunking slugs as well.

Empty propane tanks make great gongs for slugs at 100 yards

Not that these are using slugs but I do like shooting shotguns
    Attachment 22050
    Last edited by 03RN; 12-02-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Was the deer quartering away/towards you? How'd you hit the stomach and the heart?
    It was quartering away

User Tag List