Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Slug Precision

For me, Micro-Aimpoint allows A zone hits out to about 100yds with 1 oz Brenneke slugs...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Apologies to OP for the thread drift, but how do the 500s work for you? I'm thinking about a 590a1 or a 500, and the main driver for the 590 is the tube magazine set up and how much easier it is to change springs and followers on the 590. I can't decide if that's worth ~$150 to me yet or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not much of a fan. They're rough, but they're the "military" grade that DOD buys in bulk. Finish rusts pretty easily, action is VERY rough, compared to a decent 870 (I still remember what those feel like!). I don't have any experience with the 590A1, so I can't comment, but I think you'd be better spending a little more if you're looking for something a little more refined.

Frankly, if barrel changes weren't an issue, the only pump shotgun I'd own nowadays would be the Benelli Nova/Supernova - but that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    -- so sights matter.
    Agreed. I'm MUCH more accurate with my rifle-sighted M2 than anything with a bead. If I can find someone I trust to mount a piece of rail on the reciever of my M2, I'll be mounting a T1 or M4 - in the meantime, I just "dance with the girl that brung me."

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Agreed. I'm MUCH more accurate with my rifle-sighted M2 than anything with a bead. If I can find someone I trust to mount a piece of rail on the reciever of my M2, I'll be mounting a T1 or M4 - in the meantime, I just "dance with the girl that brung me."
    Look at the Scalarworks mount for the Micro, and H2/T2 for beefier connections for heavy shotgun loads.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I very much like the fiber optic bead on the vent rib of my 1187 Premier, more so than the rifle sights on my 1187P. I can usually hit an 8" plate at 40 - 50 yards from a standing position with Federal LE127RS.

This is a 2 round slug drill I did from low ready offhand at 50 yards with Federal Premium Vital-Shok PB127RS and a 20 inch Mossberg 500 equipped with factory ghost ring sights.

I didn't measure the group, but it looks pretty good to me. I was able to replicate the 2 round drill at 50 yards multiple times with no slugs impacting outside the A-Zone.

My thought process at this point is that GJM might be on to something with ghost rings sights lacking precision at distance, because my groups expand drastically at 75 and 100 yards.

Name:  slugs.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  23.1 KB
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 09-12-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    I'm pretty new to firing shotgun slugs. I've always been more of a rifle guy.

What are reasonable precision expectations/standards for slugs out of a smooth-bore shotgun with:

Brenneke slugs?
    Foster style slugs?
    Federal TruBall Deep Penetrator slugs?

At what distances do they no longer provide acceptable precision?

Thanks.
    This is the result of zeroing my Benelli Super Nova Tactical, today. This one shot pretty well, but 3" CTC is my cut-off at 50 yards for "acceptable" with a shotgun using Remington Sluggers and/or Brenneke Classic Magnums. I have not yet had one that was that inaccurate yet, so it's just an arbitrary personal standard for me. I use 3 shot groups with a 12ga, although many, I am sure, will be up in arms over not using 5 or 10 shot groups.

With EVERY weapon I own, I always also use a single cold-bore shot to gauge things. Off the square range, you don't get "best out of 3" or "but the average was...". You get ONE SHOT. Period. No do-overs.

Here is a 50 yard 3 shot group, and a 75 yard single cold-bore shot (last shot before leaving the range and zeroing, after letting the weapon fully cool to ambient to check for any POI shifts.). Remington lists drop at 75 yards with a 50 yard zero as 1.4". CBS says this weapon is zeroed. (I adjusted the sights 1 more click right after the 3 shot group was fired).

OEM Ghost rings were used. I fired from the seated, resting my forearm which held the slide, on a sand-bag, holding the weapon without it touching anything environmental. The only modification to the Benelli SNT was the swapping of the OEM recoil pad for a Limbsaver.

Shotgun function was 100%, although when ejecting shells, I was trying not to sling them (public range didn't want to chase them under benches, etc), so I would rack it reeeeeaalllly slowly, Don't do that, lol, they flip right back into the receiver sometimes. When I pumped the action with even remotely appropriate vigor, it would launch them flying.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 09-12-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Perfect illustration of the difference between a 50 yard and 25/75 yard zero.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Perfect illustration of the difference between a 50 yard and 25/75 yard zero.
    At 25 yards, elevation was only 1" or so off. I prefer a 50 yard zero, as it puts me +- 1.5" out to 75 yards, and about 5" low at 100 (if the ballistic tables are accurate, which based on my shooting...they are). Honestly, being 1.5" off with a 3/4" projectile falls under "trivial" in my book. It's not a sniper rifle...although mine seems to shoot a bit better than 1 MOA out to 50 yards with irons, ROFL!

A zero is just a matter of personal preference. I zero handgun, shotgun and PCC at 25 yards, so it keeps things simple for me. I am also more interested in a muzzle to 25 yard envelope for my use of slugs, since I don't hunt with slugs.

User Tag List