Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Performance Center 642

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Why won't they make a 642 with dovetailed sights like the 640 Pro?
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C. View Post
    I can't tell if they did any re-contouring around the rear sight trench? It looks like they may have or it might just be the angle of the light in the photo. I know that the 340 models with the big dot have a rear sight groove with a different profile. Either way thanks for the pictures, I'm really liking the looks of that front sight.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    No, that's the odd thing. They did not get bent. They would accept 4 rounds and then the 5th just would not go in, using an appropriate tool. I don't think that the extractor groove (or whatever that part is) on a revolver casing are kept to the same specs as they are on autopistol rounds that rely on it for extraction. Sometimes rounds from a new box of Gold Dot just would not work with clips that previously worked with Gold Dot. It got to be too much of a hassle so I stopped using them.
    TK Custom supplies the blued OEM clips for S&W... they also make stainless clips that properly fit various types/brands of brass. Unfortunately, they are not cheap. I have personally only used the blued ones, and some brands of brass are very tight in them... and some are fairly loose. The groove dimensions vary a lot between manufacturers. The proper size clips for your particular brand of brass or ammo make make a significant difference.

I don't carry moon clips as reloads. I have not found a good solution to carrying a loaded moon clip in my pocket or on my belt, and they seem fairly fragile, so I dare not carry them loose in a pocket. I can't fathom $40 for the carrier TK sells (Del Fatti?). I use Comp 1's and/or speed strips for reloads. I do, however, have the rounds carried in the gun in a moon clip. It makes admin loading/unloading easier, and should help with more positive extraction during a reload.

In 1994, the Performance Center made 450 of the model 460's, basically a 442 with forged parts, a ported barrel, cocobolo grips and the PC skookum trigger. Even though I don't like ports on a PD gun, I picked up a used one a few years later, sent it to Bowen for his sights and TK for moon clip cut. Stupid accurate, especially for a j-frame. I still pocket carry it, and happily use the Del Fatti moon clip carriers.

Name:  460 - 1.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  460 - 1 (1).jpg
Views: 494
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  460 - 1 (2).jpg
Views: 500
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  460 - 1 (3).jpg
Views: 493
Size:  53.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Name:  460 - 1 (2).jpg
Views: 500
Size:  31.9 KB
    ]
    Why did you put a Glock factory rear site on your gun?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Why did you put a Glock factory rear site on your gun?

Chris
    Perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I can't tell if they did any re-contouring around the rear sight trench? It looks like they may have or it might just be the angle of the light in the photo. I know that the 340 models with the big dot have a rear sight groove with a different profile. Either way thanks for the pictures, I'm really liking the looks of that front sight.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"
    Yes, re contoured. Called a 1/2 ghost ring. With a standard dot front it lines up pretty nicely.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    TK Custom supplies the blued OEM clips for S&W... they also make stainless clips that properly fit various types/brands of brass. Unfortunately, they are not cheap.
    Yep, I did purchase brand specific moon clips. That's what was so maddening. They would work fine with one lot of ammo and then not work with another.
    Adam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Anyone notice S&W is making this? https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-642-0

Performance Center, tuned action, cut for moon clips, and NO LOCK. I have been wanting this to be made for years.

My local FFL has had these for about 6 months - so very tempted! The trigger is what all triggers SHOULD be, IMO.

No experience with the trigger is one of the things keeping me from ordering one blind. I have experience with the 637 Wyatt Gunsmoke PC model, and the trigger on there while improved is still not anywhere near my 65-3 which for better or worse is my baseline "good" revolver trigger. It also isn't nearly as nice as the new Colt Cobra. My current 642 has Wolff springs but is otherwise the worst of the group. What I'd love to know is if this 642 PC is better or worse than any of the guns I've described.

User Tag List