Thread: LEM Drill Suggestions

LEM Drill Suggestions

I have an advanced defensive pistol class coming up in October and I have to give myself a crash refresher in operating my HK P2000 LEM (Carry gun). Yes, I know I should keep on top of this platform, but 99+% of my shooting is with a 3 lb. 1911 match trigger. Occasionally I'll run a few steel challenge strings with the HK and do just fine, but the transition rhythm seems to aid in LEM trigger prep. When I just hammer fire a few rounds at a target I'm tending to pull the shots left.

My thought is to work single, double and triple taps from low ready the week before the class and avoid the 1911, but I'm open to drill suggestions. The draw from IWB really isn't an issue. FWIW the TPW is just a bit over 5-1/2 lbs. and very smooth.

I should add that I've recently had to switch to my left eye. I've gotten solid with the 1911, but the HK grip is different and I think one of the contributors to pulling left is my muscle memory trying to align the gun with my right eye. Lesson learned: don't neglect the HK.

Some of my favorite drills in general, and especially with the LEM, are the accelerator drill, or any type of a distance change up drills, and the Bill drill. In the accelerator, you are presented with both the opportunity and the challenge to work the trigger in a variety of ways that LEM allows for, assuming that the closest target is relatively large. Bill Drill tasks you with controlling the reset distance and being in a continuous motion with your finger, as LEM requires.

I would shoot the LEM at LEM speed, focusing on good hits,and disregard what you or others can do with other triggers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What do you consider to be LEM speed for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would shoot the LEM at LEM speed, focusing on good hits,and disregard what you or others can do with other triggers.
    Agree of course. I'm not looking to run the LEM at the same speed as my 9mm 1911. I need to do some drills to reacquaint myself with the trigger and regain the feel for what I can do consistent with good sight picture/trigger management. I do think reprogramming my mechanics consistent with using my left eye will be significant; dry fire should really help there. As things stand now even with my 1911 if I don't close my right eye my brain will revert to the old "program".

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    What do you consider to be LEM speed for you ?
    I know it when I feel it! The LEM, for me, takes longer to complete the press, and requires more concentration throughout the trigger press. That means I need to shoot it slower than other striker or DA/SA triggers, or if I try to maintain the speed, I need to give up accuracy.

Interestingly, shooting the LEM does not hurt, and maybe even helps me shoot other triggers. Shooting other triggers hurts my ability to shoot the LEM.

That doesn't make the LEM bad.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I know it when I feel it! The LEM, for me, takes longer to complete the press, and requires more concentration throughout the trigger press. That means I need to shoot it slower than other striker or DA/SA triggers, or if I try to maintain the speed, I need to give up accuracy.

Interestingly, shooting the LEM does not hurt, and maybe even helps me shoot other triggers. Shooting other triggers hurts my ability to shoot the LEM.

That doesn't make the LEM bad.
    x2 for what GJM said...
    I carried, shot, and competed with Beretta 92s for more than 20 years.
    A couple of years ago, I needed to start carrying an LEM USPc for work. So I committed to carrying and training with the LEM exclusively for at least a year. After 12 months, when I tried the 92 again, I found that my DA accuracy had improved considerably, and that my performance with the 92 on my "test" (that I shoot at the end of every practice session) was better than it had been before I started using the LEM.
    After the first year, I decided to stay with the USPc LEM for all my carry and shooting, on and off duty, so that I touched the same type of gun all the time. I still love the 92, but the HK is my "real world" gun now, so the 92s live in the safe for the foreseeable future.

For what it's worth, here's my test, which makes a decent drill, in my experience:

I use a human-sized anatomic target like this one

http://www.nationaltarget.com/produc...5?keywords=Cit

With a 5" PistolForum circle taped over the 8x10 rectangle in the torso

All stages are 2 to body, one to head, from the holster

3 yds, 3" par, 4 reps
    5 yds, 4" par, 4 reps
    7 yds, 5" par, 4 reps

36 rds total

Anything outside the 5" circle or the headbox is a miss.

The controlled pair to the torso helps work reset in rapid fire, and the head shot helps with precision and transition.
    If the par times are too generous, by all means adjust them.
    I'm certainly not a SME, but I believe that training and testing with this metric has made me more effective with the LEM.

Hope this is helpful.

Gyro

I am simple, so I just shoot dot torture while increasing distance and decreasing time allowed. The drill is varied enough that it highlights all of my weaknesses, especially with time pressure added.

User Tag List