Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff MDC Lights

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Or, alternatively, one of these batteries with a protection circuit.
    Good cell, I have several of them.

In my example above the 800-lumen M91 drop-in requires a minimum of 5.5 volts, thus two 16340 cells to fit a stock 6P body. Run time would be around 30 minutes.

From http://flashlightguide.com/2014/09/r...m91b-led-drop/

Recently dipped my toes into the Malkoff waters, I bought one of their conversions for a 2 cell Mag light...WOW! Talk about improvement! I'd guess this thing is putting out at least 300 lumens.The nice thing about this is that it saves me from burning up my cr123 batteries in my surefire lights,and gives me a light with some decent power, plus, D cells are cheap especially when bought in bulk at places like Sam's club. I'm liking this conversion so much, that I,ll probably get another for my other 2 cell Mag light.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The real fun begins when you become familiar with and start using rechargeable cells. For example with your 6P host, one of these and two of these.
    So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the M91 head for the 9P works in the 6P with no other modifications so long as I use those rechargeable batteries?

Second question, what charger are you using?

Thanks!

Help me out guys.

I'm familiar with Malkoff Devices but mostly back when Surefire was pre-LED. Malkoff offered a quantum leap in output at the time with their high output drop in LED heads.

What is the benefit today or what sets Malkoff apart from the numerous vendors offering high output compact LED lights with up to 1000 lumens (or more) and multiple features?

I'm not one of those Flashaholics who frequents the candle power forums so I'm relatively clueless on where the cutting edge resides.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Help me out guys.

I'm familiar with Malkoff Devices but mostly back when Surefire was pre-LED. Malkoff offered a quantum leap in output at the time with their high output drop in LED heads.

What is the benefit today or what sets Malkoff apart from the numerous vendors offering high output compact LED lights with up to 1000 lumens (or more) and multiple features?

I'm not one of those Flashaholics who frequents the candle power forums so I'm relatively clueless on where the cutting edge resides.
    Here are my reasons for spending the extra to buy Malkoff:

Their gear is built like a tank and meant to last.

They stand behind their products unequivocally.

They are a small family run American business in Enterprise, AL

Their customer service and accessibility for questions or info is unmatched.

I trust them and their products to do what they are supposed to do, rain, shine or bump in the night.
    Last edited by blues; 09-18-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: needed more coffee to notice typos
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the M91 head for the 9P works in the 6P with no other modifications so long as I use those rechargeable batteries?
    Correct! The M91B drop-in is rated to be used with an input voltage of 5.5 to 12 volts. Most Li-ion batteries are rated at 3.7 volts, coming off the charger at 4.2 volts and in need of recharging by around 3.6 volts. Two of these batteries in series - as in two 16340 cells - will supply the necessary voltage.

The M61 drop-in I am using needs an input voltage of 3.4 to 9 volts, so a single Li-ion cell will power it.

Of note, regardless of the size of the Li-ion rechargeable cell, most are rated at 3.7 volts. The larger cells simply allow for longer run time.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Second question, what charger are you using?
    I am using an Xtar VP2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Blues covered well in his post above. I will add the following points;

• The vast majority of "Chinese lights" are of lower quality - their build quality is fragile compared to a Malkoff and failures are more frequent.
    • The higher output is often over stated. Additionally, most will only hold their advertised output for a very short period of time before the circuitry dials them back to prevent over heating.
    • They are generally gimmicky with many (and mostly useless) programming options.

These lights can be fun to play with but for the ruggedness and reliability professional use requires, they are not in the same league as a Malkoff.

@NH Shooter and @blues summed up Malkoff very well.
    They are the best.

I have a MDC in my pocket now and will walk Mac after while using a Malkoff Wildcat,

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Correct! The M91B drop-in is rated to be used with an input voltage of 5.5 to 12 volts. Most Li-ion batteries are rated at 3.7 volts, coming off the charger at 4.2 volts and in need of recharging by around 3.6 volts. Two of these batteries in series - as in two 16340 cells - will supply the necessary voltage.

The M61 drop-in I am using needs an input voltage of 3.4 to 9 volts, so a single Li-ion cell will power it.

Of note, regardless of the size of the Li-ion rechargeable cell, most are rated at 3.7 volts. The larger cells simply allow for longer run time.

I am using an Xtar VP2

Thanks. That was some good info & I was unaware of any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    I have a MDC in my pocket now and will walk Mac after while using a Malkoff Wildcat,
    The Wildcats and Hound Dogs are awesome - I use a Hound Dog 18650 for taking our two for their evening walks. With the high/low switch installed, low is more than adequate and a 18650 cell will provide around 100 hours of run time. With a twist of the head to high, 900 lumens/29,000 lux with the quality Malkoff puts into the reflector is magical.

FWIW, in my collection I also own a Surefire PR1 and 6PX Pro, a Streamlight PolyTac that rides in the glove box of my car, and a small collection of Foursevens lights. For handheld lights Malkoff is all I buy now.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 09-19-2017 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo

User Tag List