Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkoff MDC Lights

Malkoff MDC Lights

I've been carrying a small-but-capable light for a number of years now and have come to appreciate the benefits of doing so. From typical utilitarian purposes to defensive use in conjunction with a pistol, I now find myself lost without having one of these compact lights clipped inside my front pants pocket.

Much like selecting a handgun for EDC, finding a light that best serves your needs can be a daunting task. Like handguns, they range in size from tiny (and useless for serious defensive purposes) to large, heavy and powerful. For me, a Walther PPS 9mm is my EDC pistol, which fits my hands well and I can shoot effectively. For an EDC light, I want something that can ride in my pocket without being noticed, but yet fits my hand well, is durable and has an adequately powerful beam. Another consideration for an EDC light is run time, which for a light small enough to comfortably carry is a matter of striking a balance between output (in lumens) and run time for the cell it uses.

The Malkoff MDC (Malkoff Daily Carry)

Having become a huge proponent of Malkoff lights since my first purchase of one about a year ago, I recently purchased the pieces to assemble a MDC light as my new EDC. Malkoff offers their lights as individual components so you can mix-n-match and assemble one to your own needs/specs, as well as offering complete ready-to-go "turn key" lights. My new MDC is comprised of the following components;

MDC HA 1CR123 Body

VME Malkoff Valiant Concepts Head

P60 style M61N 300 Lumen Drop-in

A Lithium-Maganese IMR 16340 700mah cell is used to power this particular drop-in which provides about 30 minutes of run time

As I always do, I installed a DIY finger lanyard for easier handling and retention of the light;

Along with the Malkoff components, the VME's acrylic front lens was replaced with a float glass multi-layer broadband AR lens;

As expected, the build quality of the Malkoff MDC is beyond reproach. At 4.0 ounces, it is 40% heavier than the Foursevens Quark that I've carried for a few years, much of the additional weight is due to the Malkoff drop-in module: the LED and circuit board are housed in a heavy brass casing (that also serves as a heat sink) and are embedded in epoxy. The Quark's LED and circuit board are housed directly in the thin-wall aluminum bezel with no epoxy "potting" to protect them. While I've have not experienced any failures with the Quark, its construction is fragile compared to the Malkoff and gets hot-to-the-touch very quickly. At roughly the same size as the Quark, I have not noticed the MDC's extra 1.6 ounces riding in my pocket;

Selecting the Drop-in

The VME head is adapts the larger M31, M61 and even M91 Malkoff drop-ins to the MDC bodies. This is a huge advantage to those who wish to assemble a MDC light to their own needs or specifications, and have the time and inclination to use Li-ion rechargeable cells for those combinations that require them (like the one I just assembled). Just about all of the Malkoff drop-ins can be run with standard CR123A lithium batteries, providing the drop-in voltage requirements are matched to a body that can house the appropriate number of CR123A batteries.

One of the choices in this selection process is the use of a single output or multi-output drop-in. Malkoff offers several Low-Medium-High drop-ins where the mode is selected by multiple activations of the switch, which are ideal for utilitarian uses. The lowest setting allows for long run times while the highest allows for impressive output but for much shorter run times.

Single output drop-ins are favored for WMLs or for hand held lights that are intended for use with a pistol. The advantage is that the light always comes on its highest setting and does not require multiple presses of the tail switch to get to the highest setting, something that would be tough to do under the stress of an self-defense encounter.

Turn Key MDC

For those who wish to simply purchase a complete light to run on CR123A batteries, there are many choices including the larger MDX series, Hound Dog and Wildcat lights. My Hound Dog 18650;

MDC Observations

So far my new "Lego" Malkoff MDC has more than met my expectations. The quality of the beam pattern, tint and robust construction of the light itself are impressive. While the Quark worked well, the MDC is a big step up in quality and durability. For those looking for a quality, made in the U.S.A EDC light from folks who take great pride in their products and service, the Malkoff Devices MDC lights are highly recommended.

Love Malkoff's. I have seven including drop-ins: Wildcat, Hound Dog, and three MDC's in 2xAA, AA and 16650 flavors.

Here's a not quite up to date image...missing the MDC AA and the body for the Hound Dog:

Name:  malkoff.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  50.3 KB
    Last edited by blues; 09-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Love Malkoff's. I have seven including drop-ins:
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I've been carrying a small-but-capable light for a number of years now and have come to appreciate the benefits of doing so. From typical utilitarian purposes to defensive use in conjunction with a pistol, I now find myself lost without having one of these compact lights clipped inside my front pants pocket.

Much like selecting a handgun for EDC, finding a light that best serves your needs can be a daunting task. Like handguns, they range in size from tiny (and useless for serious defensive purposes) to large, heavy and powerful. For me, a Walther PPS 9mm is my EDC pistol, which fits my hands well and I can shoot effectively. For an EDC light, I want something that can ride in my pocket without being noticed, but yet fits my hand well, is durable and has an adequately powerful beam. Another consideration for an EDC light is run time, which for a light small enough to comfortably carry is a matter of striking a balance between output (in lumens) and run time for the cell
    Stand by boys. They have a new controller coming soon that is going to be a doozie.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-10-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Yeah, I pretty much have my lighting needs met at this point...but if I were looking to expand I'd probably be interested.

Site Supporter
    I need to try your lanyard on my Malkoff. Good little lights.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I need to try your lanyard on my Malkoff.
    The finger lanyard is now indispensable for me on EDC lights. Some paracord, break-away couplers and a constrictor knot is what you need.

Flip to back to free hand;

The support hand grip I use (bottom three fingers in the normal spot on front of the PPS grip);

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Stand by boys. They have a new controller coming soon that is going to be a doozie.
    Looking forward to learning more about it!

I really like the MDC. My preference is 16650 body with Malkoff E2 head.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 09-10-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I really like the MDC. My preference is 16650 body with Malkoff E2 head.
    I have the E2 head on my Surefire E2e. Agree it's a good one.

Also a Malkoff fan... I have their drop-in for the Streamlight SL-20X and one for my Surefire E2e. I also have an Elzetta with a Malkoff engine. I have total confidence in all three lights.

User Tag List