Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use the Mantis X to refine your grip etc? Thoughts on it

I picked up a Mantis X back in March and have a few thousand dry fires with it. I have had some minor issues with it not detecting shots on my P10C but these happened less with setting the sensitivity to high. I also have some issues with a shot being detected when racking the slide which are not a lot but a few times very annoying. Racing the slide pointing down helps but is not foolproof. It really sucks when you have a great run going in the benchmark drill and have it happen as they cannot be deleted.

I am finding it sensitive to transitions and not always picking up shots without time stabilizing.

Overall I like it for giving feedback, graphing movement, documenting sessions and progress and general fun comparing sessions to each other and to others in dry fire group. I think once Mantis allows for the recording of muzzle movement as Patrick suggests it will be even better for more stuff and in live fire. They have playback now with new version but I haven't shot it live fire yet since the update.

I'm still curious how one resolves the hit/miss vs what one saw with their sights. Holding the gun super still is awesome but I wonder what one of these would look like if Rob Leathem used one for a bit.

Perhaps the info is out there and I've missed it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'm still curious how one resolves the hit/miss vs what one saw with their sights. Holding the gun super still is awesome but I wonder what one of these would look like if Rob Leathem used one for a bit.

The MantisX as far as my experiences take me (I haven't taken it to the range, just use it for dry fire due to a lot of work hours), it is more for trigger control. The laser I use with it is more for the sights.
    I received an inexpensive webcam to be able to set up some open source shooting software, which I think would be better on the visual end.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

The mantis basically assigns a percentage value to your shot. When Les was trying mine out it was rarely below 95% and he was shooting tiny groups.

Granted he has a background in bullseye, is a GM in USPSA and shoots PPC matches and such, but I suspect if someone like Rob Leatham used one, it would look similar.

I look at it is a way to refine shot calling and trigger press above all else. The app has a set of timed drills, which would be interesting to try out on the range this summer, but I still pretty much only break it out when I'm trying to refine my trigger control.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've been using the Mantis to help me learn how to aim the RMR/1911. There's so much happening in the window of the RMR, that it's unnerving and distracting. the Mantis has helped me to determine what visual clues I should be paying attention to, and what I should be discarding. For example, It's taught me so far, that a brighter dot produced better scores. It's also the "stenographer" of the dry-fire session, as I can go back to any shot, and compare what I remember seeing to what was actually happening using the graphs playback feature.

Also, I had some problems with the unit missing shots, or recording me taking the safety off, and "reported" it, through the app. The app had me go through a diagnostic series of reps, and a developer emailed me the next day to discuss what he thought was happening. That tells me they are really trying to improve the product. And since the unit is only a sensor, they can keep updating the app for better accuracy, or more functionality

The MantisX has definitely been getting more accurate over time, I've noticed. I used to have at least one false positive per string, but now I rarely ever get them.

Additionally, a friend of mine bought one to practice with his G43 and decided to make his own floorplate adapter rather than paying $20 from the company to get one. He ended up having some minor issues with getting it to register, and despite the fact that he rolled his own adapter instead of buying theirs, Mantis helped him sort through the issues and it works great now. Personally, that was a huge plus in my book - my experience has always been that situations like that usually end with the manufacturer going "buy our authorized part instead, then we'll help you."

I bought a MantisX a couple months or so ago. It’s definitely something that’s great for really wringing out trigger control in dry practice. It’s also helped me close the gap on “prototyping” grip or trigger finger changes. Before I’d change something with my grip or whatever, practice that for a bit, then test in live fire. Now I just make the change and see if it’s worth sticking with or not.

It’s definitely handy for getting feedback with irons. I see way more movement in the graph than I do the front sight. It’s also particularly handy for it’s Compressed Time Drill. Helps with understanding how much wobble you can get away with and still get a clean trigger press.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Our last issued gun was the SIG P229, and everyone who sucked at shooting complained and said it was a shitty gun and that Glocks were the answer.

We transitioned to the Glock 19, and the same people are complaining that the Glock 19 is a shitty gun. They still suck at shooting, but obviously the gun is the issue.

Enter the Mantis. Hook it up and have them dry fire, then show the results after you dry fire. Compare the movement and consistency. WOW. What an amusingly great way to break someone's spirit and make them shut the fuck up, permanently, about the gun being the reason they suck at shooting. No....you just suck.

I have virtually nothing to contribute otherwise regarding the Mantis. There's probably some really productive use, but this is more amusing.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-18-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There's probably some really productive use, but this is more amusing.
    Saw one for sale on another forum. Seller said it was only two weeks old. He probably couldn't handle the truth

User Tag List