Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet gear performance test

Wet gear performance test

Last week, I was assigned to do hurricane Harvey flood rescues. as a result of this, I spend almost 36 hours wearing a duty belt that was submerged in flood water over and over again. During this period, I was carrying a gun I keep around entirely for these sorts of operations, namely and early Gen 3 Glock 19. The weapon and spare magazines were loaded with 124 +P 9mm Federal HST's. The water I was in was not salty, but was contaminated with a variety of substances I prefer not to spend too much time thinking about (think required tetanus shot and prophylactic antibiotics this week). Here is a summary of my observations from this:

1 The ammo held up well. After this, I assumed at lease some of it was compromised, so I stopped by the range and shot all of it out of a Beretta 92F this week. Every single one of the 46 rounds I was carrying fired exactly as designed, with no apparent loss of accuracy of velocity.

2. My TLR-1 still worked and was dry inside when I changed the batteries

3. The Glock had some very light surface rust on the slide, inside and out, the barrel looked like it sustained no damage, There was some brown stuff in the striker channel (I assume rust from the striker spring) and the sights had some light surface corrosion (Ameriglo Spartan operator sights). Other than that, it was in pretty good shape.

3. My Safariland 6280 (STX size 832) shows no effects. dried out overnight after I was finally able to get home, the hood functions fine, the suede didn't de-laminate and it doesn't even stink.

All of my clothes received a Viking funeral. My Waders were abandoned early on as they kept filling up due to excessive water depth

1. Thanks for what you do.

2. I'm glad to hear that your ammo fired reliably after being submerged. I would think that's a legitimate concern.

3. I've seen Glock maritime spring cups and I always assumed (don't know) they are designed to shed water to not impede striker travel. I'm curious how reliably the Glock would fire after being submerged and having the striker channel completely fill.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Thank you for your service.

How did you de-contaminate your duty gear? What magazine carriers were you using? Did these drain at all?

Now that you've had this experience, would you make any changes or modifications to you gear setup? Would you wear/carry more or different gear?

Were you wearing a ballistic vest? How did that work out?

What sort of clothes/uniform were you wearing? Any changes you would make? I'm sure that viking funeral was satisfying.

How come you didn't fire the ammo through the Glock you were carrying? Wouldn't that have been a better function test of both the ammo and the gun?

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

excellent info. thanks, could you inspect & update in a month?

Hey man, good work getting it done out there. I hope you're well.

I've taken some swims, both anticipated and unanticipated with Glocks. You may have already thought of this, but in case you haven't, I very much recommend disassembling and inspecting your magazines. I've found the springs were prone to rust.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hey man, good work getting it done out there. I hope you're well.

I've taken some swims, both anticipated and unanticipated with Glocks. You may have already thought of this, but in case you haven't, I very much recommend disassembling and inspecting your magazines. I've found the springs were prone to rust.
    I've found a good protective treatment is wiping the springs down with Dri-Slide, a molybdenum disulfide dry-film lubricant/anti-corrosive. It doesn't attract GSR, etc. Another alternative, probably equally good, would be to use Sentry Solutions' Tuff-Cloth.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Thank you for your service.

How did you de-contaminate your duty gear? What magazine carriers were you using? Did these drain at all?

Now that you've had this experience, would you make any changes or modifications to you gear setup? Would you wear/carry more or different gear?

Were you wearing a ballistic vest? How did that work out?

What sort of clothes/uniform were you wearing? Any changes you would make? I'm sure that viking funeral was satisfying.
    I cleaned the carriers, etc in hot water and dawn, the were all stx safariland stuff and 2 hsgi Tacos (1 for the baton, 1 for my Strion) the strion did well, the baton, taser, and second pair of cuffs were left in the car. My radio was in a heavy duty ziplock bag when not in use (either on the high water truck or boat, whichever we were using so it wasnt submerged). My I phone was in a waterproof case and except for a little condensation seems ok and worked well throughout.

Mag carrier was a Safariland 777 open top. they have a drain hole at the bottom and drain well and the magazines were retained even climbing in and out of a boat a bunch of times

I threw out the duty belt and put my stuff on a new one

The amount of gear was sufficient, if I did this again I might dispense with the spare magazines. and just bring a gun, a pair of cuffs and a radio. I didnt wear my vest, i put a type III PFD on under my raincoat instead, drowning seemed like a more immediate threat to manage. Everyone who didn't take their vest off will be discarding it as soon as they get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    How come you didn't fire the ammo through the Glock you were carrying? Wouldn't that have been a better function test of both the ammo and the gun?
    Yes, the glock would have been a better test, but I had a required qualification session, and the Beretta was due, so it got the call.

I've never, thankfully, had to work in a flooded environment but I'm curious what kinda precautions you take with portable radios and all the water?

Be safe out there!

User Tag List