Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handling the phone

Logically speaking, if you are going to gun because you heard a noise (glass break or otherwise) you taking the time to make a 911 call is not going to be the first thing on your mind. Getting your gun up and either finding the noise or waiting for whoever to come up your way is going to be your priority. Not calling the police.

If you are go looking for someone talking on the phone isnt a priority, shooting someone or looking for targets is the top priority.

If you have a spouse, they should be making a call for you, calmly and quietly, making sure you tell your spouse the right things to say.

If you have kids your spouse should be getting them into a safe area and arming up. If it's just you then your priority are the kids and getting armed up, holding in a safe spot. Then and only then calling 911.

There is absolutely zero legal liability or issues which may arise from not calling the police until after a situation is over. If you wake up to glass break, or five dudes banging down your door and you go to the stairs with a firearm only to see them and start shooting there isn't anything illegal about that or not calling the police.

List of responsibilities during such an occurrence:

Get a gun up
    Take a position of dominance
    Secure assets (kids wife etc)
    Use whatever reasonable force required to effectively stop the threat if one arises
    ???
    Call the police.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    List of responsibilities during such an occurrence:

Get a gun up
    Take a position of dominance
    Secure assets (kids wife etc)
    Use whatever reasonable force required to effectively stop the threat if one arises
    ???
    Call the police.
    Pilots have a saying: "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate." It is a simple prioritization of how to handle a crisis.

Keep the plane flying, figure out where you are and where you're going, then tell somebody what's going on. In that order.

I see common theme between that and what you've posted.
    Last edited by Edster; 09-09-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Pilots have a saying: "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate." It is a simple prioritization of how to handle a crisis.

Keep the plane flying, figure out where you are and where you're going, then tell somebody what's going on. In that order.

I see common theme between that and what you've posted.
    We call those "universal truths."
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I agree with JHC's post on the issue. Everything must be taken in context. I don't think anyone reasonable is suggesting to make a call or work the phone while the situation dictates other priorities are more important. However the length of a handgun vs a long gun,one hand ease of use vs long gun when opening doors.turning lights on,handheld light,holding/carrying or moving children or spouse etc.. favor the handgun in many such situations. Using a phone is eventually going to be one of those so even if shots are fired and badguy is down the idea to call 911,call as soon as reasonably possible and possibly with a suspect down but maybe not dead but no longer a lethal threat makes one handed use of a phone a possibility if not a high probability. There are also plenty of people who may be alone and have to call eventually by themselves.

Nothing is perfect and getting priorities mixed up isn't good in a home defense situation but there is some reasonableness in going with a handgun for one hand use including making the call to 911 even if it isn't one of the first things to do on the list in every scenario.

Site Supporter
    I've mentioned it before in another thread, but it seems relevant here too. Touch screen phones don't work when your hands are covered in sweat, water or blood. Plan accordingly.

Was this discussion with the well known instructor about long gun vs handgun or priorities of phone use during an incident? As usual there's a lot of "maybe's" involved such as what I would like to do vs what I can do depending on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Was this discussion with the well known instructor about long gun vs handgun or priorities of phone use during an incident? As usual there's a lot of "maybe's" involved such as what I would like to do vs what I can do depending on the situation.
    Long gun vs handgun for home defense. Needing a hand for the phone was only one reason given for choosing a handgun. The other reasons were similar to octagon's post -- children, doors, etc.

Holding the phone was the only thing in the list that struck me as questionable. I've seen the same reason given before in a similar context and it seems like it should be low on the priority list.
    Last edited by Edster; 09-10-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    My biggest reasons for relying primarily on handguns for home defense are:

If I am dressed, I am very likely carrying one already.

They are easy to secure in a rapidly accessible place.

If I am answering the door at night, it can be concealed on my person, to avoid a bad misunderstanding with the police who may have come to tell me they recovered the car that I did not yet know was stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    When I teach Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events we discuss how low on the totem pole calling 911 is...WAAAAY at the bottom of the list.

When the call is made I tell people to use a bluetooth, or to place the phone on speaker and set it on the barricade that that they are hiding behind, in a shirt pocket, or in an around the neck ID lanyard/case. I am OK with a phone you can walk away from, or a less than perfect hearing/talking to 911 if you need both hand free to deal with a rapidly evolving situation. Communicating is important, but very much not the most important. Avoiding the danger, Denying access of the attackers, and Defending are the priorities.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    When I teach Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events we discuss how low on the totem pole calling 911 is...WAAAAY at the bottom of the list.

When the call is made I tell people to use a bluetooth, or to place the phone on speaker and set it on the barricade that that they are hiding behind, in a shirt pocket, or in an around the neck ID lanyard/case. I am OK with a phone you can walk away from, or a less than perfect hearing/talking to 911 if you need both hand free to deal with a rapidly evolving situation. Communicating is important, but very much not the most important. Avoiding the danger, Denying access of the attackers, and Defending are the priorities.

pat
    This is one of those weird situations, active shooters, that requires any and all information to be made available as fast as possible.

Obviously saving life and fortifying is more important than making a call, but LE cannot help if LE doesn't get there and active shooters would be, in my opinion, the exception to the rule. The faster that 911 call is placed the sooner the machine starts working.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List