Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handling the phone

It's like everything else, a set of verified protocols that are best practice should be followed. Often we would like to have a standard list of,if this happens then I should do 1 2 3, and that probably works most of the time. Self defense scenarios and emergencies in general are dynamic and vey rarley happen when and how we think they will. It is better to have a set of plans than not but most times it is not so much what to do but when to do it. The timing of when and how to react can be more important than what to do.
    Communication and preparation is the key to sucsess.

Do I try to shoot or apply a tourniquet at the same time as calling 911? No
    When is it the best time to do so? When we make that decision.

Your local 911 may be like ours: completely clogged up with "required questions" that some legal think tank came up with to try to mitigate liability.

Even our dispatchers think our current system is mind bogglingly stupid and time consuming. If your system is like ours, you won't have time to go through the bank of questions and deal with the threat at hand.

My home defense plan is to run the gun and put every threat down hard and fast. Since I am required to park a marked unit out front, the wife and son are already trained on what to do in case the worst comes through the door.

One of them will be responsible for calling 911. Assuming I survive, I'll be busy covering them until the cavalry arrives to deem it safe.

Regards.

With phone in hand, though, you can flip on your phone light to illuminate the target, or take a flash photo of the intruder to disorient him (like a flash-bang sans bang), or play one of those apps like my kids have that make gun sounds - you can make him think you are hosing him down with an M-60 for instant groveling surrender!

Handling the phone

Edster, you have a good point about concentrating on the matter at hand i.e., a gunfight. I also believe a handgun is a better weapon choice when fighting in the home because a long gun in a short space can become rather unwieldy and in an up close and personal situation a long gun can be more easily grabbed by an assailant.

However it is a good idea for a spouse or other person to practice dialing 911 and have a prepared statement for the operator. Even a simple thing like dialing three numbers can become difficult under such tremendous stress.

http://www.anamericanwithagun.com/
    Optimism is true moral courage. - Sir Ernest Shackleton

User Tag List