Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handling the phone

Handling the phone

I just read an interview with a well-known instructor. The instructor noted his most likely home defense weapon would be a handgun. One reason he gave was the need to be on the phone with the police. It's hard to work a long gun and a phone at the same time.

This is not the first time I've read or been told one-handed manipulation is a factor because of the phone.

I question this.

If one is in a fight, it seems one really needs both hands. Phones, clipboards, or Ming vases need to get dropped until things are safe again.

Just so I'm not misunderstood: Absolutely call for help. Stay on the phone as long as possible. But recognize holding on to the phone may become unimportant very suddenly. Be prepared to drop it and use that hand for something more important.

Should hands-free communication technology be part of the plan?

Other thoughts and guidance on this? Am I completely off-base?
    Last edited by Edster; 09-09-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Speakerphone? Leaves both hands free for weapon/light and you can still communicate with 911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    My plan is for the wife to call 911, I only have one important job.

Site Supporter
    You're probably not going to be in a fight for an extended period, and even if you are, you may want to be on the phone before add/or after it.

This is one that might be due up for a bit of a rehashing at this point. The old wisdom about leaving the line to 911 open to have a recording documenting your side of things sounds really great, and I have no doubt that it's played a part in sorting out the courtroom aftermath at some point, for someone. But... it's now illegal to use any phone–even hands-free–in my state (among others) while driving, and I'd submit that fighting for one's life is more complex than one-handing the old town car down a residential street.

At any rate, between the fucked up vision I have left over from eye surgery, along with my general disdain for any product from the 21st-c that uses electricity, my ability to work a cell phone quickly and efficiently is legendary–and not in the good way. Using one hand to keep a phone online will definitely get *me* killed in da streetz. OMMV, IANAL, SNAFU, TARFU, FUBAR, et al.

The question is: can you go from a dead sleep to grabbing your phone, dialing 911, then handle both items competently, safely, and simultaneously? Back when I had a hardwired phone and my address showed up in CAD software, all I had to do was hit three buttons, then yell, "Send the boys right fucking now!" That didn't seem so daunting. My iPhone requires a 4 digit code or fingerprints that it frequently fails to ID. Even if I shut that off I have to hit a button to wake it up, another to get to phone, then hit 911, then go through the dispatch decision tree: police or fire?...what's your address?...what's your problem?...what's your name? Fuck it, I'll be dead. I could always ask my phone to call 911, but then it will say, "There is no contact for Carl Nine Oneone. Would you like me to look that up?"
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    But... it's now illegal to use any phone–even hands-free–in my state (among others) while driving .....
    At least as far as legality, in Washington, you're okay if you're calling 911. And, even if you weren't, if you were needing to call the cops because you're worried about a threat to your life or safety, and a cop happens to pull you over for a traffic infraction; hey, problem solved, right?

But I do agree, the modern smart phones are sort of hard to dial 911 on.

RCW 46.61.672
    (1) A person who uses a personal electronic device while driving a motor vehicle on a public highway is guilty of a traffic infraction and must pay a fine as provided in RCW 46.63.110(3).
    (2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
    (a) A driver who is using a personal electronic device to contact emergency services;

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.672

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Absolutely call for help. Stay on the phone as long as possible. But recognize holding on to the phone may become unimportant very suddenly.
    This. This is settled as far as I'm concerned, and I settled it for myself long ago. If the fight starts or is imminent, the fight has the undivided attention of both hands; with the firearm and possibly a light. It's not like I drill with a headset and comms operating operationally et al.

Now the authors that put the handgun in this context still have a point to consider about movement, managing lights and coordination in the lead up to.
    Last edited by JHC; 09-09-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter

Handling the phone

My iPhone phone is rarely far away, and I keep a Jabra Bluetooth earpiece nearby. One reason for the iPhone as opposed to a Samsung is the ability to use the earpiece to make a call hands free using voice dialing while the phone remains locked. That solves a lot of problems while driving as well as during an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 09-09-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    At least as far as legality, in Washington, you're okay if you're calling 911. And, even if you weren't, if you were needing to call the cops because you're worried about a threat to your life or safety, and a cop happens to pull you over for a traffic infraction; hey, problem solved, right?

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.672
    I failed to make my point clearly: I have no problem whatsoever calling 911 from my car when the situation warrants it–I have, and I would gladly do it again, So I am totally with you on that. Rather, I brought the comparison up because the obvious legislative intent of these "distracted driving" type of laws is to acknowledge the fact that many people cannot walk and chew at the same time, let alone work a smartphone, and the burgeoning crop of such laws reflect that. Straight up: I am a lot better at wheeling my old town car around while tired than fighting for my life: driving misanthropist and myself to and from ECQC blocks over the course of a weekend cemented that into my mind beyond any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The question is: can you go from a dead sleep to grabbing your phone, dialing 911, then handle both items competently, safely, and simultaneously? Back when I had a hardwired phone and my address showed up in CAD software, all I had to do was hit three buttons, then yell, "Send the boys right fucking now!" That didn't seem so daunting. My iPhone requires a 4 digit code or fingerprints that it frequently fails to ID. Even if I shut that off I have to hit a button to wake it up, another to get to phone, then hit 911, then go through the dispatch decision tree: police or fire?...what's your address?...what's your problem?...what's your name? Fuck it, I'll be dead. I could always ask my phone to call 911, but then it will say, "There is no contact for Carl Nine Oneone. Would you like me to look that up?"
    ^^^QFMFT. Nailed it.

User Tag List