Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carry Ammo Cycle

Once a year, during the week of David's birthday.

Srsly, I empty all my mags when I go to the range except for 2x hardball. Those get me home, and I re-stock after the wipedown.

Site Supporter
    For your consideration if you are still carrying the same mag full of Black Talons you acquired at the start of the Clinton adminstration:

THE FOLLOWING TRAINING ADVISORY WAS FORWARDED FROM GWINETT COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT - LAWRENCEVILLE, GA

In September of this year a GCPD officer was involved in a situation which
    quickly became a use of deadly force incident. When the officer made the decision to use deadly force, the chambered round in his duty pistol did not
    fire. Fortunately, the officer used good tactics, remembered his training and cleared the malfunction, successfully ending the encounter.

The misfired round, which had a full firing pin strike, was collected and was later sent to the manufacturer for analysis. Their analysis showed the following: "...the cause of the misfire was determined to be from the primer
    mix being knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the
    firearm multiple times". We also sent an additional 2,000 rounds of the Winchester 9mm duty ammunition to the manufacturer. All 2,000 rounds were successfully fired.

In discussions with the officer, we discovered that since he has small children at home, he unloads his duty weapon daily. His routine is to eject the
    chambered round to store the weapon. Prior to returning to duty he chambers the top round in his primary magazine, then takes the previously ejected round and puts in back in the magazine. Those two rounds were repeatedly cycled and had been since duty ammunition was issued in February or March of 2011, resulting in as many as 100 chambering and extracting cycles. This caused an internal failure of the primer, not discernible by external inspection.

This advisory is to inform all sworn personnel that repeated cycling of duty rounds is to be avoided. As a reminder, when loading the weapon, load from the magazine and do not drop the round directly into the chamber. If an officer's only method of safe home storage is to unload the weapon, the Firearms Training Unit suggests that you unload an entire magazine and rotate those rounds. In addition, you should also rotate through all 3 duty magazines, so that all 52 duty rounds are cycled, not just a few rounds. A more practical method of home storage is probably to use a trigger lock or a locked storage box.

FURTHER GUIDANCE:

The primer compound separation is a risk of repeatedly chambering the same
    round. The more common issue is bullet setback, which increases the chamber pressures often resulting in more negative effects.

RECOMMENDATION:

In addition to following the guidance provided above of constantly rotating
    duty ammunition that is removed during the unloading/reloading of the weapon, training ammunition utilized during firearm sustainment and weapon manipulation drills, should also be discarded if it has been inserted into the chamber more than twice. This practice lessens the likelihood of a failure
    to fire or more catastrophic results

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If an officer's only method of safe home storage is to unload the weapon, the Firearms Training Unit suggests that you unload an entire magazine and rotate those rounds. In addition, you should also rotate through all 3 duty magazines, so that all 52 duty rounds are cycled, not just a few rounds. A more practical method of home storage is probably to use a trigger lock or a locked storage box.
    Totally picking nits here, but this part of the advisory makes it sound like one of the recommendations is to put a trigger lock on a loaded gun. That is a really bad idea.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Totally picking nits here, but this part of the advisory makes it sound like one of the recommendations is to put a trigger lock on a loaded gun. That is a really bad idea.
    Agreed - we issue / recommend lock boxes exclusively. load it, leave it loaded, lock up as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Once a year, during the week of David's birthday.

Srsly, I empty all my mags when I go to the range except for 2x hardball. Those get me home, and I re-stock after the wipedown.

Mag dump event, that actually sounds like a fun birthday party.

That is awesome information about the primer separating. Thank you for informing us! I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    How does bullet setback from rechambering rounds factor into EDC ammo life cycle? Lots of discussion on that, e.g. here.

I've recently switched from carrying Federal 9BPLE @ $0.40 /round to Federal P9HST3 @ $0.62 /round. With the 9BPLEs, I'd rotate the chambered rounds down farther into the magazine in the pistol when unloading/reloading for dry fire practice, to minimize the number of times I re-chamber the round. Then I'd shoot up the 15 round G19 mag on my first drills at the range, which happened about twice a week. With the cost of my EDC ammo now up by 50%, I'm rethinking that practice.

ToddG's point in the long discussion I referenced above, to the effect that shooting the one chaImbered EDC round at the range is an insignificant part of the total cost of ownership (range fees, practice ammo, transportation, etc), is well put. Now I'm thinking that with soft rechambering (lock slide back, insert round, ease slide forward and press closed), I will just rechamber the same top round a few times between range trips and then shoot it on the first drill. I'll check the cartridge height on the soft-rechambered round using a straight edge comparison to some new rounds, at least a few times, to convince myself first-hand that this practice isn't leading to risking a KaBoom. One box of EDC ammo per 50 range trips is a small slice of the pie. Plus, this strategy keeps the EDC ammo from getting too old, with a low cost of one round per range trip.

***EDIT: Subject should have read "Wear and tear from rechambering EDC ammo".
    If I recall correctly, "soft-chambering" would not be a good idea. I remember it being said in my Hk manual and a magpul clip about prepping before you leave the house.

I think the viability of direct-chamber loading (or "soft chambering") should be handled on a firearm-by-firearm basis. Some manufacturers say it's OK; others (like 1911-variants) make it clear the practice is strictly verboten.

User Tag List