Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry Ammo Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    With a Glock, I wouldn't.
    My daily carry is an M&P 9c and I wouldn't do it on that gun, either.

Maybe a beretta 21a. Can't think of any other semiauto that I'd do that to.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Maybe a beretta 21a.
    I don't know about the small guns, but it'd be OK on a 92. From the manual:

2. DIRECT CHAMBER LOADING
    * Check that the manual safety is engaged (FS models only -Fig. 6a/6b)
    * Pull open the slide. The slide remains open when an empty magazine is inserted or the slide catch is pressed upwards.
    * Insert a round into the chamber. (Fig. 28)
    * Press the slide catch to close the slide. (Fig. 30)
    It's probably more stressful on the extractor than loading from a mag, but it's not like a Glock or 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    How does bullet setback from rechambering rounds factor into EDC ammo life cycle? Lots of discussion on that, e.g. here.

I've recently switched from carrying Federal 9BPLE @ $0.40 /round to Federal P9HST3 @ $0.62 /round. With the 9BPLEs, I'd rotate the chambered rounds down farther into the magazine in the pistol when unloading/reloading for dry fire practice, to minimize the number of times I re-chamber the round. Then I'd shoot up the 15 round G19 mag on my first drills at the range, which happened about twice a week. With the cost of my EDC ammo now up by 50%, I'm rethinking that practice.

ToddG's point in the long discussion I referenced above, to the effect that shooting the one chambered EDC round at the range is an insignificant part of the total cost of ownership (range fees, practice ammo, transportation, etc), is well put. Now I'm thinking that with soft rechambering (lock slide back, insert round, ease slide forward and press closed), I will just rechamber the same top round a few times between range trips and then shoot it on the first drill. I'll check the cartridge height on the soft-rechambered round using a straight edge comparison to some new rounds, at least a few times, to convince myself first-hand that this practice isn't leading to risking a KaBoom. One box of EDC ammo per 50 range trips is a small slice of the pie. Plus, this strategy keeps the EDC ammo from getting too old, with a low cost of one round per range trip.

***EDIT: Subject should have read "Wear and tear from rechambering EDC ammo".
    I'm sorry if I confused you all but I am not talking about wear and tear from rechambering EDC ammo. If i rack a round out from dry fire (which I rarely do because I dry fire other glocks I own), I replace the round and put the previously chambered round in box for range use. I am simply asking, does ammo go "bad" from being carried around in magazines when carrying in a holster and mag pouches. And if so, how often do you change it out. thanks to you all for helping with the question.

I typically change my carry ammo once per year.

I prefer to always chamber my round in the normal fashion...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I typically change my carry ammo once per year.
    Thanks DocGKR. Most appreciated. is there a reason you feel you need to change it...such as, mags and gun have been out in the world/environment and exposed to dust/humidity etc.?

I shoot the carry ammo to verify function and POI/POA.

Thank you Doc!

Site Supporter
    Once a year, during the week of my birthday.

David

User Tag List