Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 .308, what should I look for

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Remington 700 .308, what should I look for

I may trade into a Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308. It has this stock: https://www.stockysstocks.com/manner...r-xcr-xhr.html

I know nothing about bolt action rifles, so type slow.

Is there anything in particular I should inspect on the rifle? What's a reasonable price (assuming it's in good condition) for the rifle and stock (original stock is gone)?

If I just wanted to punch paper at the range and maybe hunt with it, is this a good choice?

Remington quality is hit and miss nowadays. The finish on my .308 AAC-SD is also not great.

However, mine shoots sub MOA with the right loads. It is a good foundation to build into something better as well since the Remington 700 is the Chevy 350 of bolt guns. Get it if it's a good deal over Gunbroker prices and you want a bolt gun. If it's not a good deal, wait and get a Tikka bolt gun.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 09-08-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    #RESIST

Remington has a $75 rebate on new ones. Just something to factor into your price calculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine bought one of that model. He had some strange issues with it. First the X-Mark-Pro trigger broke, he sent it to be repaired, Remington sent it back with a new trigger, and then he broke the stock. I would not have believed the latter except I was there to see it happen. He was shooting from the bench and the stock fractured at the recoil lug. No clue as to why it happened as nothing seemed odd. No sudden opening of groups, and that gun was fairly repeatable with 168-grain BTHP prior to the stock failure. I am no rifleman, and I could hit golf balls at 200 yards with it more often than not.

Not sure how to look for a trigger or stock that would break. I guess ensure the action screws are properly torqued.

The original stock (if it was the Hogue offering) was less than worthless. Remington should have paid it's customers to take those atrocities.

OK, Bud's lists the 700 AAC-SD for $600.00+/- with the original POS Hogue Gumby stock and factory crap trigger.

The Manners stock has a retail price of $570.0+/- for a grand total of $1170.00 full retail.

You're looking at a used action? Does it have the factory trigger? Is the action glass bedded?

I found a factory original 700 AAC-SD, lightly used for around $350.00. By lightly used I mean it was unboxed. I don't think it had been fired at all. I got a B&C Medalist 2 stock from Stocky's Stocks on sale for around $250.00 and a Timney 510 trigger for about $120.00.

After my labor and materials to bed the action and replace the trigger, I have a solid, sub MOA rifle for about $800.00.

Granted this was several years ago.

I've heard stories about how hit or miss the 700 action/barrels are. I got lucky with mine. It wasn't in dire need of anything more than a decent stock and trigger.

The manners stock is arguably a better stock than the B&C. It's certainly more pricey.

What are you bring to the table? Is there any valid evidence of the accuracy of the Remy?

ETA: Does the 700 have scope rings and or glass? if so what mfg?

All things to ask and tally up when looking for value of trade.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 09-08-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Remington quality is hit and miss nowadays. The finish on my .308 AAC-SD is also not great.

However, mine shoots sub MOA with the right loads. It is a good foundation to build into something better as well since the Remington 700 is the Chevy 350 of bolt guns. Get it if it's a good deal over Gunbroker prices and you want a bolt gun. If it's not a good deal, wait and get a Tikka bolt gun.
    Exactly.

Rich has a good point about glass, rings and trade value. Something to think about, it can be fun to build up a 700 but they can end up being a serious money pit, you will never recoup close to anything you will put into it. I would look at where your going with with the gun/use, etc. and make some decisions before hand so things don't spire rapidly out of control. Don't ask me how I know.
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-08-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Looking at what scopes cost, and realistically how much I'd shoot the rifle, I think you guys have already talked me out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I may trade into a Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308. It has this stock: https://www.stockysstocks.com/manner...r-xcr-xhr.html

I know nothing about bolt action rifles, so type slow.

Is there anything in particular I should inspect on the rifle? What's a reasonable price (assuming it's in good condition) for the rifle and stock (original stock is gone)?

If I just wanted to punch paper at the range and maybe hunt with it, is this a good choice?
    I have that exact rifle. I traded a spare BCM upper that I had laying around for it. Considering I built the upper for about $350, I was not unhappy with the deal.

If you get near Texas, you are welcome to borrow mine and shoot it.

And agreeing with LL, the first thing I look for in a newer Remington 700 is a Tikka T3.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 09-08-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Everyone has opinions. Mine are different. Ive owned several 700s and have had good luck. Currently Im running a 700 5R Milspec with the factory HS stock, Witt clamp on brake, and a Vortex HLSR 6-24 ffp scope. I can keep all the rounds in a palm sized group at 600yds, and this was the first gun that took me to 1K with repeatability. Yes, I reload for it and took the time to tune it to good load. Like all off the shelf guns, you'll get lemons. Some require a bit of TLC to group really well. Some barrels are bored when the reamer is new. There is always the last one cut before its replaced too.

As to glass...lots of opinions there too. I have a lot of Vortex. Ive visited the factory, talked to the reps up there (Im semi-local-ish) and have had excellent results. Theyve taken time to get me what was BEST for me (not the priciest or newest) and have an LE discount program that is beyond awesome. My buddy...???? Hes a big Schmidt-Bender guy.

Oh yea... .308 is about as versitile as you can get. Everything from varmint, big game up thru match ammo is easily available. Exceedingly straight forward to reload as well if you ever go that route. There are numerous combinations of bullet and powder that work exceptionally well in just about anything.
    Last edited by entropy; 09-08-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And agreeing with LL, the first thing I look for in a newer Remington 700 is a Tikka T3.
    This.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List