Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Current state of 12 gauge pump actions

A year or two back, I was at a local shotgun match and a competitor had a brand-new, out-of-the-box 590A1 with horked-up shell latches. He'd run the action, and it would feed a shell into the chamber and spit another one out the loading port onto the sand..

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    A year or two back, I was at a local shotgun match and a competitor had a brand-new, out-of-the-box 590A1 with horked-up shell latches. He'd run the action, and it would feed a shell into the chamber and spit another one out the loading port onto the sand..
    That's the select-slug feature.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

WTF would someone bring a gun to a match without shooting it in first?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    WTF would someone bring a gun to a match without shooting it in first?
    If only that were rare…

We used to get guys straight from the gun show.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I've had several brand new 590A1 shotguns come to class only to have to go back to Mossberg because the internals were so rough the action locked up.

I had a private client Friday who brought a new-in-box 590A1 that functioned superbly.

So, crapshoot.
    Unfortunately, what you describe is not a new event. I have owned three 590 series shotguns, and two were broken out of the box. I learned not to order one sight unseen. My lgs a couple years back had 10 new ones in stock at one time. For the privilege of examining these weapons, I agreed to clean each. Of course, I checked each. All were tiptop. My explanation for the crapshoot in many cases is that Mossberg outsources some parts. When these are out of spec, the guns don't work. Shell latches or interrupters are the most frequent offenders. My opinion is that if you buy a Mossberg, then you should polish the chamber with 0000 steel wool.

Manufacturers make guns in runs. I think that quality varies from one run to the next. Tool wear is a factor, and whether or not outsourced parts are in spec is another. I have noticed that Mossberg bores and chambers have small pits which must be a type of tool mark. Usually I remove most of these by judicious polishing. Why? I'm obsessive about such.

I love shotguns and highly recommend one for HD. I would go with a 500/590/590A1 or Remington 870 just for the ease of mounting a light or a light mounted fore-end. I have a TL racker on my 870 and love it. That being said, I don't have any experience with the newer Mossbergs or Remingtons. Someone mentioned a Benelli Nova. I have a Benelli Nova for hunting and they are rock solid! You can get a Benelli Nova Tactical 18.5 inch with a bead, rifle sights or ghost ring for under $500, ( just looked and found them for under $400). Only issue with the Nova is accessories, they aren't as easy to find as a Rem or Moss. Also, because of the pump design it's hard to mount a shell card on the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    I have a Benelli Nova for hunting and they are rock solid! You can get a Benelli Nova Tactical 18.5 inch with a bead, rifle sights or ghost ring for under $500, ( just looked and found them for under $400). Only issue with the Nova is accessories, they aren't as easy to find as a Rem or Moss. Also, because of the pump design it's hard to mount a shell card on the receiver.
    I've been a diehard 870 guy, but I bought a Super Nova Tactical this year, and I really like it. The pattern with Flite Control buck and my own Lyman slugs look identical, meaning one large hole. The mag cutoff button works, but I have my doubts about how easy it would be to find while under pressure. It's heavier than an 870, but I wanted that for slug shooting. Single reloads into the ejection port are easy because it's so long (for 3.5" shells). As you say, accessories are limited. I added a Nordic extension and a HPG buttstock ammo carrier. I bought a 26" barrel as well, and tried some 3.5" buckshot loads. There will be no more 3.5" shell testing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    and tried some 3.5" buckshot loads. There will be no more 3.5" shell testing.
    I shot some 3.5” buckshot in a mossberg 835 once. And by some I mean however many pellets were contained in a single shell. That was enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I shot some 3.5” buckshot in a mossberg 835 once. And by some I mean however many pellets were contained in a single shell. That was enough for me
    It doesn't seem as brutal out of my SBE2, but I noticed most of the boxes of 3.5" shells I have still have four shells in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I bought a Super Nova Tactical this year…
    …accessories are limited.
    Given gun-owners’ propensity for gluing whatever whiz-bang they can find onto their boom-stick, that fact alone might make it a worthwhile recommendation.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List