Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC fixed blade - Clinch Pick vs Bastinelli PiKa?

Question EDC fixed blade - Clinch Pick vs Bastinelli PiKa?

Hi all

I'm a long time lurker, who's finally stepping out the shadows and into the light, and would very much appreciate some advice from those of you in the know

I'm looking to get a small fixed blade for edc / self defence, and I'm looking at the SouthNarc Clinch Pick and the Bastinelli PiKa (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BG....g-kydex-sheath).

Does anyone have experience with either one, or perhaps both even?

I always have a folder on me (Tenacious, Endura, PM2, RajahIII) but looking to add a fixed blade to my daily carry. I'll look to carry it weak side appendix.

Thanks in advance!

Marshy

Your link goes to an item that is discontinued and has no photo.

Did you mean this?

If you did then the Bastinelli knife is very different from the CP in its purpose. That Pika looks to be, essentially, a karambit and thus requires you to use it as either, if you have not acquired specific training and techniques with a karambit, as you would a claw, or, if you do have karambit specific training, as you were then trained. The CP on the other hand is a straightforward stabbing knife whose reverse edge enables you to do some ripping as well.

I don't have anything against karambits (I carry a Spyderco folding one daily as it serves my daily cutting needs very well -packages fear me!) but if you have little to no training in the defensive use of a knife, the CP is the better knife for you. Southnarc described its use once, I believe, as that of a monkey with a screwdriver, in other words: "thrust it in something important, rip out, lather-rinse-repeat".

I suggest, though, that you familiarize yourself with your local laws first. Something like a CP might be considered something like an illegal dirk, while a karambit might not, or vice versa.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Just found this video with Bastinelli showing the Pika in a bit of use:

That first cut shows what I mean by using the karambit as a claw
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Ringed knives are more often than not silly and a pain in the ass to deploy, and that's before looking into issues with actually using the thing. The Clinch Pick was designed for the location you intend to carry and doesn't have the deployment issues or grip issues. It's rather elegant in the simplicity and in practice with limited technique people are vastly more functional. With the current availability I think it becomes a G19 kinda thing, use a CP and train with it until you know enough and have the experience to intelligently choose otherwise.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

^^^Tom pretty much said what I would say, only better. Short answer: CP all the way. For what it is, and what it's designed for, it's genius.

Clinch Pick.

I have four karambits designed by Steve Tarani. I would very very very very strongly recommend that if you want to carry one you get trained by Steve or someone of his caliber.

It's different. Frankly, it's not an intuitive pokey-stabby thing, in my very humble opinion. With correct training, it's got definite retention benefits.

I love my Clinch Pick, and carry it a lot. The phrase I always think of when I practice with it is "Elegant Simplicity".

I love simple. Simple works under pressure, is difficult to break, and easier to understand with my primitive reptile brain.

Anybody who has met me knows I'm basically a simple reptile at heart anyway.

I love and carry a Karambit weak side. It's a very specific tool that lacks the ease of use of any straight blade. It requires training and drilling. Once you have training and drilling down it's excellent depending on your use case and how you roll. If you live near Plano I'll happily show you practical Karambit.

Hi all!

Thanks so much for the feedback! Sorry, I forgot to say I live in sunny South Africa, otherwise would take you up on the offer Oukaapie Also, sorry for the funky link, not too sure why the hyper link was to a defunkt page, but thanks for the correction Wondering Beard

I currently alternate between a Spydie Tenacious, Endura, PM2, and a CS Rajah3 amd Emerson Horseman for EDC carriers, so thought the idea of a small fixed blade would complement the current carry.

Unfortunately, we are blessed to have the multitude of SD trainers like you do in the States, but the little blade training I have had, I did lean towards / find the CP the easiest, so thanks to everyone for the help and guidance! A CP it shall be!

Marshy, my handle oukaapie should be telling. Ek is n ou kaapie!

Find Mark Human in Cape Town or one of his instructors across SA.

http://multidimensionalwarrior.co.za/

I would put Mark up there with any blade trainer on the planet. He is extremely no nonsense and has a breadth of practical experience most other blade masters lack. His students see more shit than you could dream possible.

I've shown a couple of the PF group stuff I got from him and they all love it. PM me if you have questions.

User Tag List