Page 84 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P 2.0 Compact - S&W's G19 ?

While I thought that the 19 was just about the ideal carry piece, I could never warm up the grip of the 19,vs the 17.
    The 2.0 compact handles better for me and there's no "rear hump" issue with the grip.

It has become my EDC, and the only other gun I occasionally carry is the 642.
    For me, Smith nailed it.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I’ve shot 4400 rounds through my 2.0 Compact since I bought it in Febuary 2017.
    No issues. I still carry a G19 though. I was considering carrying the compact, but now that I know I’ll need to replace so many parts so often, I would need to buy another compact, one to carry and one to practice with as I shoot 6,000-8,000 rounds a year.

I think I’m going to replace the recommended parts and give it to a family member who doesn’t shoot as much as I do and continue carrying the G19. I have an aunt who is considering getting a gun for home defense. I think it would be a good fit. I don’t shoot the Compact 2.0 any better than the 19 anyway, though it does feel better in hand FWIW.

I have two 1.0 M&P45s that are tack drivers. I never carried them due to repeated magazine spring failure. I stayed away from the 1.0 9mm due to the accuracy issues.

After good reports from people I trust, I picked up a 2.0 9mm. I ran it in one class. In moderate rate fire, I shoot it well, but once I start to push things, it opens up more than it should. I used it in the last half of a class I was teaching this past week, and again had issues with it at speed.

I like a lot of things about the gun, and I could probably adapt to it if I went back to 0 with it and worked my up to speed, but seeing these recent posts here (and elsewhere) about parts breakage at relatively low round counts, I'll probably relegate it to loaner pistol status.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have two 1.0 M&P45s that are tack drivers. I never carried them due to repeated magazine spring failure. I stayed away from the 1.0 9mm due to the accuracy issues.

After good reports from people I trust, I picked up a 2.0 9mm. I ran it in one class. In moderate rate fire, I shoot it well, but once I start to push things, it opens up more than it should. I used it in the last half of a class I was teaching this past week, and again had issues with it at speed.

I like a lot of things about the gun, and I could probably adapt to it if I went back to 0 with it and worked my up to speed, but seeing these recent posts here (and elsewhere) about parts breakage at relatively low round counts, I'll probably relegate it to loaner pistol status.
    For what’s its worth they fixed the 45 mag spring issue a while back (I had the same concern before buying my 2.0 but was corrected by a few guys and gals here). Grab a few new mags and you should be sitting pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    For what’s its worth they fixed the 45 mag spring issue a while back (I had the same concern before buying my 2.0 but was corrected by a few guys and gals here). Grab a few new mags and you should be sitting pretty.

What was the fix?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Mag springs. Mine is an early one and the first run of magazines was good, they can be identified by orange-painted springs. There were a couple of production runs after those that were problematic. From what I understand, current springs are good.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    What was the fix?
    The mag springs are color coded. Make sure you do not have green or black magazine springs. S&W made a new follower and a blue magazine spring combo that fixed an issue of improperly tempered springs. Contact S&W - they will likely send you the new springs and followers for free. If not Speed Shooter Specialties in beautiful Brunswick, GA should have them.

The other option is buying Wolff replacement springs,

Bumping this thread.

My brother picked up one of these, and it's really turned him from a run of the mill gun owner to someone informed or at least trying to be.

It's a good size. It offers a safety he felt was important. Its easy to shoot accurately which has helped him to shoot often. Its really basic, does what he needs, is similar to his wife's sheild which helps with family shooting. Aftermarket support.

He followed my recomendation (it took some time) and picked up a JMCK IWB3 for it. He's really glad it will activate the safety if he manages to screw up on a reholster.

This is going to become my stock answer to "What gun should I get?" in the future. Unless i missed something glaringly obvious in this thread.

Name:  20190316_181008.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  78.7 KBName:  20190316_181200.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  73.0 KB

-Cory

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Bumping this thread.

This is going to become my stock answer to "What gun should I get?" in the future. Unless i missed something glaringly obvious in this thread.
    I’ve done the same. Have turned two new shooter friends on to this gun. The single possible downside is the rough grip, which I live. If a shooter likes the grip, there is very little to critique.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Rubber Talon grips make carrying the 2.0 a lot more comfortable.

User Tag List