Page 99 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P 2.0 Compact - S&W's G19 ?

Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    And I may do that at some point, but I want to try to work with it mostly OEM. If that doesn't work out Apex will be getting some of my money. Nothing ventured nothing gained....
    Leaving aside some of your choices on the Glock .45, I am curious why you are changing the RSA to an after market setup and your thoughts on Big Dits?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    My "feelings" means I can reach and manipulate all the operating control's with shifting my firing grip, when actually firing it. I also tried firing the M&P with each of the supplied backstraps, to find the one that fit my hand and POA best. That's what I mean by "feels good in the hand".

I also don't particularly care which Glock you think is the "most accurate and reliable" ever, as my "feelings and money" go where I want it too, not where you think I should spend it, unless your buying me a Glock.

But thanks for your "feelings" on the matter.....
    There are plenty of reasons to chose an M&P 2.0 vs a G19 and I agree with what you posted above but words mean things. Saying a gun doesn't work right for you without modification and saying a gun doesn't work right without modification are not the same thing.

What I care about is accurate information. Glocks don't feel good to anyone but they function fine.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-11-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I agree with what you posted above but words mean things. Saying a gun doesn't fit you or work for you without modification and saying a gun doesn't work without modification are not the same thing.

What I care about is accurate information. Glocks don't feel good to anyone but they function fine.
    If you want accurate information to suit yourself, please just ask for what you feel is missing from mine or any other post. I don't need or nor did I ask for a lecture on Glocks, Grips, Triggers or Feelings.

I never said my Glocks (G19, G23, and G30S, all Gen 3's) didn't function. I said they didn't function as they should for me, without modifications that on the whole I find unacceptable in a firearm that's now exceeding $600. in most places NIB for a Gen5 G19. Yes, I can buy Glock Blue Label, because I'm a veteran, but none the less the new prices are a bit outrageous for how much still needs to be done to "assuage my feelings". I got the M&P for less than $500. tax included.

And the first iterations if the G5 G19 were and are terrible, with the front mag cutout and lack of forward serrations. I shot one and did not like one bit. And the fact that Glock in it's infinite wisdom has decided we peasants don't need a manual safety even though they fully R&D'd one for the US Military contract that they lost.

I want, what I want, and if Glock or any other maker doesn't deliver, I'll just move on to one who will. "I want a manual safety, I need a manual safety" (cue "A Few Good Men voice over" )......

Maybe the M&P will also need some mods., but I don't know quite enough yet. I do know that the out the box the trigger is better feeling than that serrated monstrosity that Glock peddles, IMHO. The stock sights on the M&P are also useable, unlike Glocks where you have to bury half of the front dot to hit anything. I prefer night sights after all is said and done, so that cost is a wash between most Glocks (G19X being the exception) and the M&P.

So is all that "accurate enough information" or would need some more??

Please advise

[QUOTE=BobinNC;1242512]I just bought a M&P 2.0 Compact 4" to replace my Glock Gen 3 G30S. I didn't want to have to rebuild a Glock Gen5 G19 just to make it work right, so the M&P seemed like a no brainer. I got the M&P for $470. plus tax out the door from a local gun shop.

The 2.0 Compact 4", looks good, feels good in the hand, and the trigger is worlds better than the serrated stock Glock triggers the G30S 45 ACP came with, that ate my trigger finger up.

I had to add a smooth trigger, a Ghost Connector, a Tango Down Vickers extended mag release, Ghost Bullet Forward Slide Release, Ameriglo Cap Night Sights, and a Grip Force 123 backstrap to the G30S just make it shoot-able for me.

I'm ordering some XS DXT2 Big Dot Yellows for the M&P, and a Frank Proctor SS Guide rod and spring. Leaving the trigger stock as it is for now, until I get a few hundred rounds down the barrel. The only negative is that slide stop/release is a ridiculous mother bear.[/QUOT

You can youtube the fix for the slidestop.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Leaving aside some of your choices on the Glock .45, I am curious why you are changing the RSA to an after market setup and your thoughts on Big Dits?
    I shot a friends Big Dot equipped Glock G19 some years ago. I liked them then, but they didn't have a night sight version at the time. So I went with Ameriglo's CAP Lime Green Tritium Fronts and Hackathorn Rears on my Glocks and called them good enough, and didn't want to switch them out when XS added the Big Dot Nights Sights to their offerings.

Now I have a new pistol the M&P compact, and Big Dots can now Glow in the Dark, so I'm going to give them a try. I'm also 70 years old and bigger front sights is mo' better, if you catch my drift.

As far as the RSA, a friend of a friend & former student of Frank Proctor spoke highly of them. And for $50, I thought I give them a try, as I feel the M&P 9 is over sprung to beat the band. Again IMHO and YMMV. It may be a bust or it may be a pearl, and I've wasted more money on stupider things over a 52 year shooting career.

As far as my Glocks, I have 3 Gen 3's, all configured the same and to my liking, thank you. I don't ask that anybody to conform to what I think is best, on any firearm.

You can all make your own mistakes, as I make and will continue to make plenty.

You can youtube the fix for the slidestop.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I saw that, thank you. I'm not quite ready to do surgery on the offending "do hickey" I want to try the new RSA (might put less pressure on the dingus) and shoot at least 500 more rounds thru the pistol while I contemplate how I want to adjust, file, remove, or just sell the whole thing off, call it a failure and try something else.

Right now I can slingshot it with aplomb, so I'm content to wait a bit. Not my preferred method, but I can adapt as needed, until a quality solution either presents it's self or doesn't.
    Last edited by BobinNC; 07-11-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Lets see some pics of that mo fo , Bob.

Site Supporter
    If you want accurate information to suit yourself, please just ask for what you feel is missing from mine or any other post. I don't need or nor did I ask for a lecture on Glocks, Grips, Triggers or Feelings.

I never said my Glocks (G19, G23, and G30S, all Gen 3's) didn't function. I said they didn't function as they should for me, without modifications that on the whole I find unacceptable in a firearm that's now exceeding $600. in most places NIB for a Gen5 G19. Yes, I can buy Glock Blue Label, because I'm a veteran, but none the less the new prices are a bit outrageous for how much still needs to be done to "assuage my feelings". I got the M&P for less than $500. tax included.

And the first iterations if the G5 G19 were and are terrible, with the front mag cutout and lack of forward serrations. I shot one and did not like one bit. And the fact that Glock in it's infinite wisdom has decided we peasants don't need a manual safety even though they fully R&D'd one for the US Military contract that they lost.

I want, what I want, and if Glock or any other maker doesn't deliver, I'll just move on to one who will. "I want a manual safety, I need a manual safety" (cue "A Few Good Men voice over" )......

Maybe the M&P will also need some mods., but I don't know quite enough yet. I do know that the out the box the trigger is better feeling than that serrated monstrosity that Glock peddles, IMHO. The stock sights on the M&P are also useable, unlike Glocks where you have to bury half of the front dot to hit anything. I prefer night sights after all is said and done, so that cost is a wash between most Glocks (G19X being the exception) and the M&P.

So is all that "accurate enough information" or would need some more??

Please advise
    In case it wasn't clear I accept that your initial post did not convey what you actually meant due to inaccurate language. It happens to all of us.

Nor am I a "Glocks are only the True Grail" fan boy having followed my Agency into SIG striker guns. Like the prior Berettas, HKs SIGs (and Ruger GP100) I was required to use, I take the John Lennon approach: I'm an artist, you can give me a tuba and I'll get you something out of it.

I prefer the smooth Glock trigger too but it's only a preference. It doesn't affect the function or mechanical accuracy of the gun. Same with Front cocking serrations (yes on optics guns, agnostic otherwise) and the front strap cut out (agnostic) though both were changed in 2020. The Front strap cut out in particular seems to be an I don't care or hate it position. I also may have put squares of sandpaper type grip tape right where front cocking serrations usually go. because I'm ghetto like that.

If it makes you feel better, the Glock serrated trigger is an artifact of US Import regulations (it adds points for the GCA '68 sporting purposes test). Glock put them into G19/26 to facilitate import, not because they thought they were a good idea.

Glock did finally fix the sight picture of their "ball in bucket" sights in the gen 5s but they're plastic so it's a bit of a pyric victory.

Glock's made at least four manual safety variants for the MHS and Foreign military and police contract, two thumb lever and two crossbolt types - they all suck. There is also a U.S. aftermarket thumb safety which also sucks. If I wanted a striker fired polymer gun with a safety I would absolutely buy a S&W or a SIG even if Glock offered a manual safety. Which might be why I started this thread a couple years ago.

I’m not so sure where the idea that a M&P 2.0 is over sprung to the point it needs an aftermarket RSA is coming from.

My agency has used M&P9’s so long that the first M&P 9mm T&E Guns we received were pre-production prototypes that came with an attorney bearing NDA’s. We are now on our third issue, which is the 2.0’s.

The RSA has never been an issue that I am aware of. Any manufacturer can have a part go bad on ONE particular pistol. Maintaining ONE personally owned pistol doesn’t effectively show if there is a problem with a gun’s design. Maintaining 1,100 + guns over a period of years tends to show if there’s a problem with a gun’s design. As I said, I’m not sure where the alleged issue with the OEM RSA is coming from. We have never seen an issue with that.

I’ve put just a few rounds through M&P9’s over the years. I’ve got a few rounds through my latest 2.0. The 2.0 isn’t a bad pistol. I personally own a 4” 2.0 compact. Only because I talked so much crap to our sales reps saying if S&W EVER made a Glock 19 size M&P, I’d buy one. So I did.

With that said, my off duty carry gun, and shortly my retirement carry gun is a Gen5 Glock 19. Both the Glock 19.5 and the M&P 2.0 Compact are good guns. At some point the deciding factor becomes personal preference.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 07-12-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    The RSA has never been an issue that I am aware of. Any manufacturer can have a part go bad on ONE particular pistol. Maintaining ONE personally owned pistol doesn’t effectively show if there is a problem with a gun’s design. Maintaining 1,100 + guns over a period of years tends to show if there’s a problem with a gun’s design. As I said, I’m not sure where the alleged issue with the OEM RSA is coming from. We have never seen an issue with that.
    I agree, I currently have seven of them, but probably have had a dozen or so over time. I put a lot of Apex parts in a lot of them, but the most recent one is a plain 5" 2.0 (#11989) that I intentionally left stock except the Dawson sights (fiber optic is pretty much not optional these days). This one has seen steady use, 50-100 rounds pretty much every week since Jan2019, and it gobbled up anything that fit in the magazine. A few months ago (when experimenting with rifle primers I got a few understandable misfires) I realized it was still using the original springs, and the striker had never been out of the slide. I wanted a fresh striker spring, and after doing the math that says it probably had 12k through it I figured $14 for another factory RSA was a reasonable spend. But at no point did it not work, including working my way through some loads that should not have worked.

ETA: Many of those loads that shouldn't have worked were some wimpier 115g loads that sure would not have worked if the RSA was too heavy.

User Tag List