Page 110 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1129

Thread: M&P 2.0 Compact - S&W's G19 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Gotcha. I wondered if that was the case.
    Smith makes a factory model with 15 round grip and 3.6" slide. They are in the wild and at distributors.S&W sku 13571
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Some more anecdotal evidence that has already been discussed:

- ergonomics are damn near perfect for me. I have short fingers and thick hands. Back strap swells into the meat of my hand and grip is small enough for me to wrap fingers around it. Feels closer to my old hellcat instead of the xdm elite which it compares size wise too.

The stippling is great. It still slipped a little after an hour and a gallon of sweat in the Missippi heat. I work on computers, so I don't have the most robust hands. Regardless, it didn't tear my hands up like some reviews mentioned. I appreciated the grip. Doesn't feel too tough on the stomach for aiwb (granted few hours so far here)

- limited snap. I'm not a comp shooter. Once I clamped my grip and dialed it in a bit, I was able to keep the dot inside the holosun 507c pretty easily. Keeping it on target needs some more work .

- my safety feels very 1911 like. Has a real good click to it. Honestly, it felt better to me than my buddy's worn in 1911. It's still a bit higher than it should be IMO...Seems like these are hit or miss like m&p barrels.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCoachKlein View Post

- my safety feels very 1911 like. Has a real good click to it. Honestly, it felt better to me than my buddy's worn in 1911. It's still a bit higher than it should be IMO...Seems like these are hit or miss like m&p barrels.
    The levers themselves are made of a steel stamping. The positive "click" of the safety comes from the interaction of the angles stamped on the safety lever itself and the detent in the sear block. If the detent can move freely (sometimes molding lines might need to be smoothed out a bit) and the spring isn't kinked, just replacing the safety lever can be sufficient to clear up a mushy safety engagement. Sometimes simply taking it apart and putting it back together more carefully can solve the problem as it's easy to not get things assembled exactly right when you're trying to keep everything aligned to drive the sear housing pin through.
    3/15/2016

For those of you who have mounted an RMR to the CORE slides, how robust have you found the included plate (uses screws supplied by Trijicon, in my case, an SRO)?

Sample of one but never used the CORE plastic supplied & bought a CHPWS metal one for my SRO. GTG after 3K rds. but be advised CHPWS quality can def. be hit & miss.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Sample of one but never used the CORE plastic supplied & bought a CHPWS metal one for my SRO. GTG after 3K rds. but be advised CHPWS quality can def. be hit & miss.
    Thanks. CHPWS is my plan when they are back in stock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    A little birdie told me that in a fixture some of the gunsmith fit barrels shoot width of the projectile.

They don't guarantee sub 1" from their semi drop-in barrels, but every one I've seen that has been fitted properly has shot less than an inch at 25. I've just never seen one shoot less than 3/4" before...much less sub 1/2 inch from a sandbag rest. I imagine it's more accurate than even that as I didn't execute a completely perfect hold and trigger press with each shot.
    Long ago I corresponded with the gentleman who developed Bar-Sto barrels. Mr Stone told me the same thing, and the statement applied to the various pistols for which he sold barrels. The however part was that a skilled person had to fit it. He also said that his chambers were on the smaller side of the spec designation. My guess is that he was the pioneer in custom barrels. When Ruger first developed a 9mm pistol, they had accuracy problems and consulted Irv Stone who suggested that they increase dwell time. Often I have wondered why S&W and FN did not consult experts such as Irv Stone. Finally, Smith may have got it right after many fumbles.

I aways thought this video with Randy Lee explaining the development process was interesting:

Sounds like the factory barrels start unlocking almost immediately (after only ~0.008"). The block is MIM and the plastic is injection molded and if both of those two components vary by only 0.002" in the wrong direction that example would unlock in ~0.004". That sure seems like how some might shoot acceptably and other very poorly.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It isn't so much unlocking as it is that with any rearward movement of the slide...or in some cases even pressure applied to the front of the slide...the barrel becomes unsupported. Instead of being locked together with the slide as the slide begins to move rearward, the barrel is free to flop around.

You can test a gun to see if it is likely to have this problem by applying rearward pressure and then rearward movement of the slide by the tiniest amount and pushing the muzzle around to see if it moves. On some guns it doesn't. On some guns it moves a little bit. I had one 1.0 specimen that even rearward pressure on the slide was enough to allow the barrel to flop around pretty good.

In this video (1:35 mark) you can see that the slide begins to move to the rear before the bullet is completely clear of the barrel. It's not by much...but in that very tiny amount of movement if the barrel is unsupported then the accuracy becomes unpredictable. (And keep in mind that the slide actually stretches under pressure, which also causes movement just imperceptible to the naked eye) Apex used even higher level high speed video and caught a couple of frames that showed what was happening. That led to producing their barrels which allow you to fit various parts of the barrel so that they stay in their original relationship with the slide until the barrel actually unlocks at the proper place in the cycle.

With a properly fitted Apex barrel the barrel doesn't move around in the slide until the locking surface at the front of the chamber has been dropped to allow the slide to begin extraction and ejection.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It isn't so much unlocking as it is that with any rearward movement of the slide...or in some cases even pressure applied to the front of the slide...the barrel becomes unsupported. Instead of being locked together with the slide as the slide begins to move rearward, the barrel is free to flop around.

You can test a gun to see if it is likely to have this problem by applying rearward pressure and then rearward movement of the slide by the tiniest amount and pushing the muzzle around to see if it moves. On some guns it doesn't. On some guns it moves a little bit. I had one 1.0 specimen that even rearward pressure on the slide was enough to allow the barrel to flop around pretty good.

Cheebus that grip is sketchier than Oj in a pair of gloves that fit.

User Tag List