Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane bug-out/in lessons

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I just heard on a podcast that these may be eligible for purchase with HSA (health savings account) money. I hadn't really thought about it before but it does make sense.
    Can confirm. Bought a lot of med stuff with my HSA. One year I priced out what I wanted and included that in my election, but it's also a great way to pick up something with leftover funds before they expire and slowly fill out additional kits.

ETA - looks like serious student beat me to it
    Last edited by scw2; 09-18-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    ...how I made a problematic Champion genny into a two pull to start on 14 month old gas, ultra reliable genny.
    While my fifteen plus year old Coleman 8750 gets little use since the small fleet of inverter generators came on scene, I would be interested. Always like to have a back up for the back ups.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    While my fifteen plus year old Coleman 8750 gets little use since the small fleet of inverter generators came on scene, I would be interested. Always like to have a back up for the back ups.
    and that would be why even when I upgrade to a bigger generator I'll be keeping my current one. You never know when a rod is going to decide now is the PERFECT time to exit the block with style and gusto.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post

Firearm transport - Tool bags, golf caddys and storage totes are great for moving guns to a vehicle or trailer. Pistols and ammo go well in the Ridgid brand latching hard cases, they have a decent foam rubber gasket, are lockable and can be sat/stood/stacked on.
    I know there's a thread somewhere re. discreetly transporting long guns but my PFsearchfu is not working. Saw this GA article over the weekend for the Vertx PROFESSIONAL RIFLE GARMENT BAG which might be of interest.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    and that would be why even when I upgrade to a bigger generator I'll be keeping my current one. You never know when a rod is going to decide now is the PERFECT time to exit the block with style and gusto.
    I have a 6500W generator now that's DOA due to sitting with bad gas. Gets spark, crank pull super easy, but won't catch and run. I'm assuming gummed carb but I haven't tinkered with engines in 20 years. I was hoping to find someone in my area to un-gum it for me but obviously everyone is slammed now.

Which brings up an interesting subject: post-hurricane vendor availability.

There are quite a few things that were already on my radar as a homeowner to take care of that are now put off due to every vendor in the state being backlogged and/or prices being jacked up due to the panic.
    1) impact windows and shutters.
    2) generator repair.
    3) whole-house generator install.
    4) propane tank install & plumbing.
    5) any sort of electrical work.
    6) plumbing work (surprisingly lots of folks had plumbing issues come to a head during/after the storm)

It certainly pays to be the guy that plans for these things in the down time. Most, if not all, of the above are now put off until after the new year for me just because I don't want to pay the added cost to rush into it like everyone else.

Rob, if you have a minor amount of time to mess with the generator, draining, siphoning or cheap turkey bastering the fuel out, adding fresh fuel, and a large amount of carb and injector cleaner added then pulling it a bit, let sit, pull some more, let sit, for the stuff to get in and dissolve the crud. Trying to start it off and on over a couple days may then be productive.

Theres a web site that lists places to get gas that doesnt have alcohol mixed in. Pure gas supposedly stores better with less gunk and less carb problems. Might be worth getting some in one of your cans if you get a chance.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-18-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have a 6500W generator now that's DOA due to sitting with bad gas. Gets spark, crank pull super easy, but won't catch and run.
    Did it have a feature to reduce cylinder compression for pull starting, i.e., was it always a super easy pull start? Some engines have that feature. If it didn't have that feature I'd guess something wrong with the valvetrain (or the head or spark plug are unbolted!). Have you hit it with a bit of ether to see if it will run for a second?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Rob, if you have a minor amount of time to mess with the generator, draining, siphoning or cheap turkey bastering the fuel out, adding fresh fuel, and a large amount of carb and injector cleaner added then pulling it a bit, let sit, pull some more, let sit, for the stuff to get in and dissolve the crud. Trying to start it off and on over a couple days may then be productive.

Theres a web site that lists places to get gas that doesnt have alcohol mixed in. Pure gas supposedly stores better with less gunk and less carb problems. Might be worth getting some in one of your cans if you get a chance.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
    I did get the old gas out (still works great as a firestarter!) and I monkeyed with it a bit last year with fresh fuel (which I then drained again). I'll try the carb cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Did it have a feature to reduce cylinder compression for pull starting, i.e., was it always a super easy pull start? Some engines have that feature. If it didn't have that feature I'd guess something wrong with the valvetrain (or the head or spark plug are unbolted!). Have you hit it with a bit of ether to see if it will run for a second?
    I don't know. It's not originally my generator as I wouldn't have left the gas sit in it. I don't think it had such a feature. I know the plug is getting spark because (a) I can see it and (b) I shocked myself last year.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

There are quite a few things that were already on my radar as a homeowner to take care of that are now put off due to every vendor in the state being backlogged and/or prices being jacked up due to the panic.
    1) impact windows and shutters.
    I don't know if you looked into the various roll down security shutters like these: https://www.shuttershack.com/product...y-shutters.htm. I would be interested in hearing your opinion of them and opinions of people who live in Hurricane zones.

Ive used the STP injector cleaner in the black bottle in my vehicles periodically to help the fuel system cleaned out. Seems to help if they get balky in cold weather or whenever. Probably any of the additive type cleaners will help though.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-18-2017 at 04:28 PM.

User Tag List