Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a med kit if you don't already have one...

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The 24" tail will be a bit short for more complex wraps, like if you have to dress a junctional wound with a harness-style wrap on a larger person (think a wound in the armpit, and wrapping round the shoulder and across the back to the opposite shoulder for an anchor....almost looks like you're making a shoulder holster).

With that said, the OLAES is obnoxiously large and I find its components to be gimmicky with a weak bandage. The NAR is my favorite due to the very robust ACE-quality bandage, with the Israeli being really useful because of the loop in the short end that most people don't even realize is there (it makes stump and junctional dressings REALLY easy). I also have the same CLEER EDC bandage as you for use in the BFG Micro Trauma Kit.

If the OLAES barely fits, the NAR will fit quite nicely without busting your seams and still giving you a "full size" wrap. Keep the CLEER one for more size constrained options where it's your only choice (I use the very marginal H&H mini bandage for this purpose, too).
    Experienced and reasoned response. For those not familiar with the OLAES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joKzsp4_ow0

The thing I like most about the OLAES is its additional length of gauze without needing a second package for it. I find packaging quirks in any dressing tend to be more about shape than overall size, and depend on compatibility with the intended pouch and preferred packing arrangement. In some, I can carry an OLAES and a package of QC in the same space other dressings and a QC take up, leaving me with extra gauze. I also like the OLAES for issue, as its simpler for troop to manage and be accountable for only one package instead of two. I can take or leave the sheet of plastic intended for occlusive, as the packaging serves the same purpose. I have yet to use the pressure cup for eye application, but know of credible accounts of same.

I share the opinion the OLAES elastic is not as robust as the ETD or IBD. In training kits, I get fewer reps out of the OLAES. In patient use, I've found it quite adequate. Complex junctional dressings of any manufacturer often benefit from an additional roll of ACE/control wrap.

An additional option for true minimalist carry is the SWAT-T, theraband, or esmark with a package of hemo or regular gauze.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Bit of a necro bump...didn’t feel this was worth an entire new thread but just echoes how important it is to carry a med/trauma kit with you. I went to a local range today with a buddy to help him sight in a new scope and to shoot my precision rifle a little bit. We weren’t there 10 minutes before the gentleman in the shooting lane to my immediate left had a catastrophic gun failure which blew off half of his left hand. We’re still not sure whether it was a squib followed by a life round, or a double charged round; at any rate his .300 Winchester Short Mag became a frag grenade.

I happened to be retrieving some tools from my truck in the parking lot when the incident occurred. My buddy ran out to get his med kit from his truck and we both ran back to the gentleman to render aid. The other range patrons, range owner included, were in various states of disbelief. The gentleman was in a state of shock by this point and was bleeding pretty badly from what was left of his injured hand. I grabbed the tourniquet from my buddy and stuck it pretty high on the gentleman’s left arm (“Go High Or Die”) and cranked on it until the blood flow stopped and until the guy started complaining of how tight it was...adrenaline was really flowing by this point and my hands were pretty shakey as I worked to secure the tourniquet.

Once it was secured I had the lucidity to look at my watch to write down the time it was applied. At this point it was probably 60-90 seconds post incident. I then walked the gentleman to a chair and had him sit down and elevate his arm slightly. I then took some combat gauze and stuffed it inside the hand/stump and then wrapped regular gauze around what remained of his hand. All things considered the gentleman handled it pretty well. Better than some of the eyewitnesses...

It took EMS 13-15 minutes to arrive on scene and start rendering aid. At that point I backed away and let them do their thing. They had a LifeFlight chopper en route at that point to fly him to the nearest trauma center (solid hour & 20 drive from our location). Once EMS rolled away it all kind of started to sink in...police documented the scene, bagged the many pieces of the blown up rifle and rolled out.

I had EMS, Police and the eyewitnesses ask if I had any medical training or if I was EMS or a Corpsman in the military. The only “medical” brief I’ve ever received was in a DeFoor class during one of the lunch breaks. He covered the basics of how to apply a tourniquet, combat gauze, etc. I never really thought much of it beyond that but going forward I will be taking a TCCC course in the near future. I have 2 D.A.R.K. kits on order that will go with me at all times from now on.

Couple things in hindsight...I will *ALWAYS* bring a kit with me whenever I go shooting or hunting from now on. And it will either be on my person or in a range bag. I probably should have used trauma shears to cut his jacket sleeve off so I could apply the tourniquet closer to bare skin, but admittedly I was quite jittery and wanted to stop the blood flow ASAP. I did get it quite high and tight and it did stop the blood flow. It was a CAT tourniquet for those curious.

In short, if you don’t have a blowout kit...GET ONE. At the very least throw a tourniquet and some combat (hemostatic) gauze and compression gauze in your range bag or vehicle. It could save your or someone else’s life.
    Shoot more, post less...

WOW...

Great work thinking fast and acting faster when others were standing around staring in disbelief; you may well have saved that man's life.

Do you bychance know what kind of rifle he was using? It was my understanding that R700 type actions safely vent out the excess gas in an over pressure situation.

I believe it was a Savage rifle. Didn’t get the model though.

Managed to snag a few pics..none of the actual hand though. It was pretty gruesome. The pics don’t do the amount of blood justice...there was a LOT lost in a short amount of time:

Attachment 32793

Attachment 32794

Attachment 32796
    Last edited by MSparks909; 11-27-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    //snip//.
    Great work!

I would blur his face in that photo though unless he told you it was okay to post.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Once it was secured I had the lucidity to look at my watch to write down the time it was applied.
    No harm in that, but not necessary. It's not even taught in some curriculums anymore.

I then took some combat gauze and stuffed it inside the hand/stump and then wrapped regular gauze around what remained of his hand.
    Pressure dressing stumps and deforms isn't taught or practiced as much as it should be. Great video here: http://www.traumamonkeys.com/stump-dressing/

All things considered the gentleman handled it pretty well. Better than some of the eyewitnesses...
    Normal.

It took EMS 13-15 minutes to arrive on scene and start rendering aid.
    That's pretty good.

I had EMS, Police and the eyewitnesses ask if I had any medical training or if I was EMS or a Corpsman in the military. The only “medical” brief I’ve ever received was in a DeFoor class during one of the lunch breaks. He covered the basics of how to apply a tourniquet, combat gauze, etc. I never really thought much of it beyond that but going forward I will be taking a TCCC course in the near future. I have 2 D.A.R.K. kits on order that will go with me at all times from now on.
    It takes so little time, to make people so useful. Good on you.

Couple things in hindsight...I will *ALWAYS* bring a kit with me whenever I go shooting or hunting from now on. And it will either be on my person or in a range bag.
    Yes. Range bag, LBE, on your body, whatever. Have it immediately available.

I probably should have used trauma shears to cut his jacket sleeve off so I could apply the tourniquet closer to bare skin, but admittedly I was quite jittery and wanted to stop the blood flow ASAP. I did get it quite high and tight and it did stop the blood flow. It was a CAT tourniquet for those curious.
    Unless you're dealing with heavyweight garments/coveralls, bunker gear, stuff like that, don't waste time removing clothing. Get the first TQ on and get the best effect you can. Then, get your field clear and apply any additional TQs you need in more optimal fashion. Depending on your needs/wounds, you can then clear the first TQ (some will disagree), or convert to dressing if indicated and situation appropriate (more training/experience helpful).

In short, if you don’t have a blowout kit...GET ONE. At the very least throw a tourniquet and some combat (hemostatic) gauze and compression gauze in your range bag or vehicle. It could save your or someone else’s life.
    Preach it. Good job.
    Last edited by ST911; 11-27-2018 at 09:58 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Great job M!!! Fantastic effort. You might have saved his life.

I will get my IFAKs sorted out tomorrow. I’ve grown lax on this and need to remedy that ASAFP.

BZ MSparks909!
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post

Do you bychance know what kind of rifle he was using? It was my understanding that R700 type actions safely vent out the excess gas in an over pressure situation.
    The quality bolt action rifle designs that I am aware of have some provision for venting gas away from the shooter in the case of a failure. This can be helpful in the case of a case rupture or something similar. So if you stuff a few grains too many of a an apropriate powder into a case and it fails, those vents can be a life saver, however there is a point where those safety systems can't compensate for what is going on.

I obviously can't defnitively diagnose the cause of this rifle's failure, but in the past failures that were that comprehensive that I am aware of involved a caseful of entirely the wrong powder. Often it's a pistol powder that has been loaded into a rifle case by mistake.

ETA: Here is an example of a case head failure, with resultant gas venting. Clearly this was a fundamentally different event than the one that led to the follow losing his hand.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 11-27-2018 at 11:23 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Well done Sparks. Let us know if you find anything else out.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List