Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a med kit if you don't already have one...

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Is the RATS TQ better for kids than a SOFTW? I have a 4YO daughter.
    SWAT-T works well for kids and can be used with a pressure dressing. Good to have on hand.

SWAT-T and RATS are good for kids/dogs/small animals.

I'd recommend the RATS over the SWAT-T as I've had it fail in real world use (too much blood).

The RATS can be applied very quickly and effectively to a small appendage, I keep a RATS in my kid's bag and one in each car.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Appropriately timed article on tq's... https://primaryandsecondary.com/buye...ry-tourniquet/

My personal thoughts re: RATS is...I don't own any and don't have immdeate plans to buy any (unless I get new info/feedback on them being used on kids), even though I have a 17 month old myself. I do have several SWAT-T's. That said, there may very well be better options out there, as the SWAT-T has it's downsides too when you consider using it as a tourniquet.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 09-08-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    Appropriately timed article on tq's... https://primaryandsecondary.com/buye...ry-tourniquet/

My personal thoughts re: RATS is...I don't own any and don't have immdeate plans to buy any (unless I get new info/feedback on them being used on kids), even though I have a 17 month old myself. I do have several SWAT-T's. That said, there may very well be better options out there, as the SWAT-T has it's downsides too when you consider using it as a tourniquet.
    Good info.

It is really hard to go wrong with a TacMed SOF-T Wide and a RATS for kids/animals (if you need it).

Just remember the TQ you have on you is for you first, any other TQ you have can/should be used for others but the one you have on you should be kept for you just in case.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post

Interesting and timely, thank you.

The comments in this article may also be of interest:
    http://soldiersystems.net/2017/09/06...ed-by-doppler/

Dark Angle sells CAT and Soft-T: Is there a practical difference between the two, or this this a ford vs chevy type question and it is best just to pick one and drive on?

Good job.

This one gets loaded in and out of my jeep every day since I'm an ERT member/NREMT first responderName:  20170831_213335.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  47.2 KB.

Luckily haven't had to use it yet for anything major.
    Last edited by Westtexasrancher; 09-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Caught in a lie, lol...ordered a RATS to play with, they're cheap enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post

Dark Angle sells CAT and Soft-T: Is there a practical difference between the two, or this this a ford vs chevy type question and it is best just to pick one and drive on?
    I've heard folks with medical experience and training (enough to teach those topics) say negative things in regards to this video. I don't know the topic well enough to bother trying to paraphrase what I've heard.

As for CAT or SOFFT-W...CAT uses a plastic windlass bar, SOFFT-W uses metal. I used a CAT gen 6 in this incident, and one thing I noticed was just how much the windlass bar was bending by the time I got it tight. It was explained to me by the folks at Dark Angel that the newer gen 7's have thickened up that bar. I also find a SOFFT-W to be a smaller overall package than a CAT, in my own experience.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post

The problems with the CAT don't end with the windlass as mentioned above.

The plastic itself will become brittle when exposed to the elements, sunlight and high heat/cold temperature swings.

If you want to apply it very quickly, the conventional fashion is to only feed the velcro through the keeper once. When you do this, the velcro will eventually migrate (loosen) and the TQ need to be reapplied. If you feed the strap through the keeper twice so that the keeper holds the tension instead of the velcro, it is definitely not as easy to tighten.......and more importantly, it's not as easy to get the strap as tight as possible before you crank the windlass.

In addition, the CAT is a very widely counterfeited product, so you might be handling one that is prone to breakage anyway no matter which generation it is.

The SOFT-W solves virtually all of these problems. There used to be a ban on CATs in certain pointy-end-of-the-spear units, no idea if it's still in place. Our operational medicine unit actively discourages their use and we issue the SOFT-W as standard.....ditto my past job in EMS. I wouldn't go as far to say that it's a piece of junk, but the CAT is surpassed in virtually every regard by the SOFT-W except price.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-08-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The new gen 7 CAT only has one keeper loop (routing buckle as they call it). http://darkangelmedical.com/cat-comb...rniquet-gen-7/

Also why I'd buy from a legitimate source, not necessarily off Amazon.

In the case of my incident (again, gen 6 CAT), I only fed it through one keeper as well. and based on what has been told to me, it did what it was supposed to do. Obviously, ones MMV based on lots of other factors...
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

What a bunch of folks above said. Nutshell:

Purpose-built mechanical windlass TQs are best.
    Elastics for peds, animals, and pressure dressings. SWAT and RATS are okay for those.
    Stuff I do buys and uses SOFTT-W's by the thousands, environmentals are not an issue, trainers last a long time, and we have saves. Newest version is best.
    CATs can be okay, newest version is best (v7), keep the quirks discussed above in mind.
    Keep it immediately available.
    Practice often.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-08-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List