Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a med kit if you don't already have one...

Excellent work, Mr Martin. Proof that you don't have to be picture-perfect with everything, just there, prepared, and willing. Way to jump in there and make a colossal difference in a bunch of people's lives. And thanks for the detailed post, it's a tremendous reminder/reinforcer.

RESPECT!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    RESPECT!
    Amen to that!

Well done.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Appreciate the story and great work. Reminder for me to keep the SOFTW around. Most of my kits have moved to RATS due to have little kids around, need to keep packing the full size stuff.

Congrats on the good work, even good results can have a bunch of stress and processing so talk to good people or seek out what you need to carry on.

I've religiously carried a similar kit for years. Had an opportunity to pull it out twice in less than a week. The pictures are from the worst of the two accidents. Unfortunately, I couldn't do much for the driver or the passenger. They tried to pass on the left as two lanes merged, hit the gravel on the shoulder, and spun around several times before slamming into the retaining wall. The driver had a broken and crushed leg from where the driver's door ad slammed into the retaining wall and pushed the exterior of the car into the dashboard and trapped them. The passenger had bleeding on the brain and was bleeding from every orifice in his head. Thankfully, both lived without serious injury.

I told another passerby to call 9-1-1 while I assessed both occupants. Gave the fire department a hand by shining my flashlight inside the car and holding the passenger door open. None of our local FDs carry lights on their gear... what's up with that?!

Even though I couldn't actively use anything that was in the kit, I know that things definitely could have been different and I'm grateful that I had it. Friends and family stopped making fun of me for carrying it as well!
    Last edited by iWander; 09-07-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Martin_j001 -- That's intense. Nice work.

I have a couple of TQs but they're in different IFAKs and I may or may not be able to grab one at short notice. Guess I'll rectify that issue asap.

Site Supporter
    After reading this thread I bought another SOFT-W to keep in the glove box.
    The one I keep in the gear bag in the trunk doesn't seem accessible enough any more.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Nice work!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Great work! I took a trauma treatment class a few months ago and now carry and IFAK in car and range bag. Doesn't take too much training to correctly apply the basics and the life you save could be your own. Despite the amount of shooting I do I suspect I'm more likely to need the CAT in exactly the situation you encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Most of my kits have moved to RATS due to have little kids around...
    Is the RATS TQ better for kids than a SOFTW? I have a 4YO daughter.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List