Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Get a med kit if you don't already have one...

I bought one of the ankle kits a while back (Dark Angel Medical) and think its awesome. I was already having belt and pocket space issues and putting medical equipment weight (modest) on the ankle vs. gun weight (more) is much betterer. The only issue I have is in duty uniform where my pants are tucked into my boots. For that, I have a small pocket on the calf of each leg. I keep a TQ in one and a pocket DARK mini in the other.

We also have an IFAK and CPR mask in each car. My teacher spouse has a similar kit in her classroom (CPR mask +IFAK with three of everything (TQs, chest seals, dressings, hemostatic ribbon guaze). Oh, I also have my military IFAK attached to my range bag when I dont need it on my gear for work.

We have taken a two day trauma course twice in the last three years. We need to do more informal practice.
    Last edited by Chemsoldier; 12-08-2018 at 10:13 AM.

My city is in the middle of a gang war right now. Between myself and and my squad we've probably had 20 TQ applications in the last 6 months and about that many chest seals applied.

Pretty much all of them have been applied to trigger pullers that will be shooting someone else as soon as they get out of the hospital. The dept doesn't reimburse me for med supplies and CAT tourniquets aren't cheap.

I used my last tourniquet two nights ago when a gang member accidentally shot himself in the thigh while he was at a candlelight vigil for another blood that was killed the prior week. He was carrying appendix and put a round through his thigh and into his foot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I used my last tourniquet two nights ago...
    A single TQ on your body is for you, not other people.

This is doctrinal and IMO legally defensible.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A single TQ on your body is for you, not other people.

This is doctrinal and IMO legally defensible.
    I realize that, but Cappo (of the Go Getta Money Team) got my last one that night. Got a couple more en route. I went 15 years without having a TQ on my belt, I'll take my chances on a few more nights without one.

What they might start getting is a strip of denim from some old jeans and a stick.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andre3k; 12-08-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    When one of our officers TQs someone, I do my best to replace the TQ with one off of the ambulance before I take off with the patient.

Over the past year or two, I've gotten more patients pre-TQd by LE than I've actually applied myself. I think it's awesome.

PS: I hope you're not paying full price. North American Rescue has discounts available for responders, if you buy direct from them.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

User Tag List