Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a med kit if you don't already have one...

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Is there another name for the Trauma First Response Class? The NAEMT site doesn't list that one:

Attachment 23652
    The new version is being called TCC-LEFR (Law Enforcement First Responder).

They canned the old version and reworked the class, the new one is only starting to roll out now.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Is there another name for the Trauma First Response Class? The NAEMT site doesn't list that one:

Attachment 23652
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The new version is being called TCC-LEFR (Law Enforcement First Responder).

They canned the old version and reworked the class, the new one is only starting to roll out now.
    I looked at it again.......the Trauma First Response is an 8 hour version of the PHTLS course, now called PHTLS For First Responders. It is still offered according to the NAEMT website.

The TCC-LEFR has been around for a few years.......according to the NAEMT website a new version is in development, called TECC-LEO. I know for a fact the LEFR class is still being taught.

Either should be good 8 hour courses, the latter focusing on emergency care under fire as opposed to traditional pre-hospital care.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks, man.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Also dont put your cart before the horse - basic CPR is something you should feel you have 100% mastered before you worry about trauma care

Site Supporter
    Fuck yeah dude great work!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bringing this back up because North American Rescue has a screaming deal on a basic medical kit available until May 1.

https://www.narescue.com/national-st...ng-control-kit

CAT Gen 7 TQ, flat-packed 4" ETD bandage, gloves, 3" x 4 yd QuikClot gauze, and instructions to go with it all. Not as tacticool as some of us would like, but more than sufficient to have kicking around in the trunk or glove compartment in case of emergency.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Also dont put your cart before the horse - basic CPR is something you should feel you have 100% mastered before you worry about trauma care
    Hate to necro post but given CPR has a very poor success rate on adults, something like 10%, is it really that much a priority over basic trauama care ?

My dad and and a co- worker both saved young kids with CPR, but personally, I’m 0-2 on adults.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Hate to necro post but given CPR has a very poor success rate on adults, something like 10%, is it really that much a priority over basic trauama care ?

My dad and and a co- worker both saved young kids with CPR, but personally, I’m 0-2 on adults.
    10% unless you're in Rialto, then it's around 70%

http://www.jems.com/articles/print/v...lto-calif.html

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Yes, it's always worth doing CPR in the field, unless you think they are dead and do not want to continue care. CPR is designed to help the patient's heart and lungs perfuse and oxygenate their body when they are in cardiac and/or respiratory arrest. If you stop CPR, you have essentially pronounced your patient.

Why bother applying a tourniquet if you've already decided to stop CPR? "Basic trauma care" is 100% unhelpful if your patient's heart has stopped beating. Your heart and brain begin to die after mere minutes without blood - CPR is the only thing you can do in the field to prevent that from happening, if it isn't already too late.

If you watch a patient code being run in the hospital, you'll notice that we are always doing CPR and it takes priority over basically everything except cardioversion. CPR continues without interruption until we get return of spontaneous circulation or until we've decided to pronounce.

As for your statistics, this depends on the study you've read.Overall pre-hospital survival rates for CPR is usually very low for a couple reasons:

1. The patient is often "found down" and could have been in circulatory collapse for 30+ minutes. These patients uniformly do very poorly
    2. Some forms of cardiac arrest - i.e. traumatic cardiac arrest - have very low survival at baseline
    3. A lot of bystanders do not know how to deliver effective compressions or do proper CPR

Patients do much better if they have a witnessed event and bystanders intiate CPR immediately. This study shows a 70% survival rate or patients who had a witnessed event and got immediate CPR from bystanders. In the group that did not get immediate CPR from bystanders, survival was closer to 30%, largely for reason #1. Here is a very recent article on the subject with more stats that show the stratification of survivors.

Yes, doing CPR on dead people is very unsatisfying and kind of depressing, but it's part of your duty as a first responder to deliver the best care in the field that you can, and the cornerstone of good pre-hospital care is CPR. Cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer worldwide and you are far more likely to need CPR that you will a TQ or chest seal, and even if it doesn't feel like it, is far more likely to save someone as well.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-12-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    Apparently there is an initiative to provide small trauma kits in the Georgia schools for fast response to events with bleeding. New article discussed recent situation where one of the kits was used the day after delivery when a child fell on a playground and suffered an injury (compound fracture?) that had extensive bleeding - the school nurse grabbed the trauma kit and applied a tourniquet that made a big difference until emergency help arrived.

User Tag List