Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
The 24" tail will be a bit short for more complex wraps, like if you have to dress a junctional wound with a harness-style wrap on a larger person (think a wound in the armpit, and wrapping round the shoulder and across the back to the opposite shoulder for an anchor....almost looks like you're making a shoulder holster).

With that said, the OLAES is obnoxiously large and I find its components to be gimmicky with a weak bandage. The NAR is my favorite due to the very robust ACE-quality bandage, with the Israeli being really useful because of the loop in the short end that most people don't even realize is there (it makes stump and junctional dressings REALLY easy). I also have the same CLEER EDC bandage as you for use in the BFG Micro Trauma Kit.

If the OLAES barely fits, the NAR will fit quite nicely without busting your seams and still giving you a "full size" wrap. Keep the CLEER one for more size constrained options where it's your only choice (I use the very marginal H&H mini bandage for this purpose, too).
Experienced and reasoned response. For those not familiar with the OLAES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joKzsp4_ow0

The thing I like most about the OLAES is its additional length of gauze without needing a second package for it. I find packaging quirks in any dressing tend to be more about shape than overall size, and depend on compatibility with the intended pouch and preferred packing arrangement. In some, I can carry an OLAES and a package of QC in the same space other dressings and a QC take up, leaving me with extra gauze. I also like the OLAES for issue, as its simpler for troop to manage and be accountable for only one package instead of two. I can take or leave the sheet of plastic intended for occlusive, as the packaging serves the same purpose. I have yet to use the pressure cup for eye application, but know of credible accounts of same.

I share the opinion the OLAES elastic is not as robust as the ETD or IBD. In training kits, I get fewer reps out of the OLAES. In patient use, I've found it quite adequate. Complex junctional dressings of any manufacturer often benefit from an additional roll of ACE/control wrap.

An additional option for true minimalist carry is the SWAT-T, theraband, or esmark with a package of hemo or regular gauze.