Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a med kit if you don't already have one...

Martin - I'm impressed with how well you kept your head in that situation. Well done.

A question for everyone - for someone who is not in LE, nor an EMT, where can one get quality "First Responder" type training? CPR, tourniquet use, etc.? What are some avenues to pursue? Not for going into that field, but for this same kind of situation - accidents, family emergency, etc.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Martin - I'm impressed with how well you kept your head in that situation. Well done.

A question for everyone - for someone who is not in LE, nor an EMT, where can one get quality "First Responder" type training? CPR, tourniquet use, etc.? What are some avenues to pursue? Not for going into that field, but for this same kind of situation - accidents, family emergency, etc.

Thanks.
    The Red Cross give basic first aid/CPR/AED training, but they don't touch TQ's.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Thanks.
    Search for NAEMT (National Association of EMTs) courses. NAEMT has a 1 day (or at least used to have) course called Trauma First Response specifically for lay persons.

If you can't find one, you could also do the "BCon" class, which stands for Bleeding Control. It's an abbreviated class for a few hours specifically structured for the DHS "Stop the Bleed" active shooter outreach program, trying to teach office workers and whatnot how to stop/slow massive hemorrhaging. I think they teach TQ use, but if I'm mistaken then someone please correct me.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any course offered by a large teaching organization. There's lots of small instructor shops out there teaching TCCC stuff that may come through your area....you have to search for them.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Just a plug for what is probably my favorite trauma-specific medical kit out there:

https://www.narescue.com/m-fak-mini-first-aid-kit-5135

Has everything you need, nothing you don't. I would go with the Basic kit. If you really think the Quikclot gauze is worth the money (and the American College of Surgeons is pretty equivocal on whether or not it's any better than plain gauze), you can buy it separately and throw it in there. If you do insist on getting the Advanced kit, please throw away the decompression needle unless you are a professional.

Re: Training, I think every adult should be CPR certified and re-cert at least every other year; ideally, annually. Classes are abundant, cheap, very standardized, and teach you the basics of medical emergency first response. American Red Cross is where I'd go for that.

Trauma first response classes I am not as familiar but I would go with TGS' recommendation above.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-08-2017 at 02:48 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Also, jmartin, I wanted to add that from your description of the injury it sounds like the victim suffered a LE fracture that violated the popliteal A. which is definitely limb threatening and can very much be life threatening too. Strong work my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    ....right up until the officer spit out that the family wanted me to know, that according to the doctor, this mans life and leg were saved by the application of a tourniquet that I put on. It's still hard to type that without almost losing my shit...that's probably the best and coolest phone call I have ever received.
    That's a high I've been chasing since my first day in the ER. I'll never forget the first time I did compressions on someone who survived. Absolutely the best feeing in the world and the very best to be prepared in case of an emergency. Certainly a sunnier motivator than imagining being on scene empty handed.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-08-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Good to hear you could help I have a kit in each vehicle house range bag and my bike I was looking forward to riding...... I hate hearing stories like this but it is reality
    Last edited by BJXDS; 09-08-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Appreciate the kind words all. I'm glad I was able to keep my shit together to make a difference. As for the actual injury, I may have heard something about "the guy with the barely attached leg"...so if that's what the above means in laymans terms, that's good to know.

Re training...the CPR/First Aid/AED course I took through work was by the American Heart Association, and they do mention tourniquet usage in this one, which I was surprised to see. Their recommendation was to place it a few inches above the wound, not "high and tight" as I've heard elsewhere. In this case as the victim was laying on his left side and had been in a motorcycle accident (I was doing my best not to move him), mid-thigh was the best I could do in short order, and it appears to have worked.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Not to make light of anything in this thread, as I've already expressed my great admiration for the OP's actions, but I'm surprised nobody has posted this bit from Ed C's instagram yet, since it's fresh and made me LoL:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks.
    Another resource: https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/class/search

Classes at our state EMS conferences are open to anyone -- you don't have to be licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Search for NAEMT (National Association of EMTs) courses. NAEMT has a 1 day (or at least used to have) course called Trauma First Response specifically for lay persons.

If you can't find one, you could also do the "BCon" class, which stands for Bleeding Control. It's an abbreviated class for a few hours specifically structured for the DHS "Stop the Bleed" active shooter outreach program, trying to teach office workers and whatnot how to stop/slow massive hemorrhaging. I think they teach TQ use, but if I'm mistaken then someone please correct me.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any course offered by a large teaching organization. There's lots of small instructor shops out there teaching TCCC stuff that may come through your area....you have to search for them.
    Is there another name for the Trauma First Response Class? The NAEMT site doesn't list that one:

Attachment 23652
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List