Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a med kit if you don't already have one...

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Just ordered two.
    FYI, they're back ordered.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Just picked up two of these. No surprise that they are on back order at this point. I am unfamiliar with the 4” ETD but it appears to be similar to an Israeli dressing. The TQ and the Quik clot alone are worth it. I need to find a nice pouch/bag to put it all in. I’m thinking something like this Orca Tactical MOLLE EMT Medical First Aid Pouch (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QHZBE6..._6490Ab196SY8V

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I am unfamiliar with the 4” ETD but it appears to be similar to an Israeli dressing.
    4" or 6" pad on a length of elastic without any pressure bars or doohickeys. Good dressing, no frills. Think of an IBD, H-, OLAES, Cinch, etc without it's defining thing on top. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPD0NzHaPNc
    Last edited by ST911; 04-15-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    FYI, they're back ordered.
    I was able to order one a couple days ago. Receipt says about a two week delay.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I was able to order one a couple days ago. Receipt says about a two week delay.
    Same here.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Hi Risk Customer Services
    This may be a ridiculous question, but...

Could I reimburse myself from my HSA for the cost of some more medical gear??? The IRS jargon on "Medical Equipment" is pretty vague, but first aid supplies are considered eligible. From the FSA Store website; "first aid supplies (kits, bandages, antiseptics) are directly related to the care and prevention of legitimate medical conditions."
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 04-16-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Question for the medical gurus - what's your take on longer or shorter trauma dressings? I've got a standard Olaes flat packed bandage I can fit in my IFAK just barely, and a CLEER Medical trauma bandage that's a lot smaller and will fit better. The Olaes I believe has a 3 meter long tail, while the CLEER has a 24" tail.

Part of me is thinking the longer bandage is obviously going to be more useful should I need it, but the other part of me is thinking the 24" tail is almost certainly somewhat elastic and would most likely end up being used to treat an extremity injury rather than an abdominal one.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    This may be a ridiculous question, but...

Could I reimburse myself from my HSA for the cost of some more medical gear???
    I'm counting on it. I paid for it with my HSA credit card and it went through. The same card wouldn't allow a transaction for a Ankle kit.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Question for the medical gurus - what's your take on longer or shorter trauma dressings? I've got a standard Olaes flat packed bandage I can fit in my IFAK just barely, and a CLEER Medical trauma bandage that's a lot smaller and will fit better. The Olaes I believe has a 3 meter long tail, while the CLEER has a 24" tail.

Part of me is thinking the longer bandage is obviously going to be more useful should I need it, but the other part of me is thinking the 24" tail is almost certainly somewhat elastic and would most likely end up being used to treat an extremity injury rather than an abdominal one.
    The 24" tail will be a bit short for more complex wraps, like if you have to dress a junctional wound with a harness-style wrap on a larger person (think a wound in the armpit, and wrapping round the shoulder and across the back to the opposite shoulder for an anchor....almost looks like you're making a shoulder holster).

With that said, the OLAES is obnoxiously large and I find its components to be gimmicky with a weak bandage. The NAR is my favorite due to the very robust ACE-quality bandage, with the Israeli being really useful because of the loop in the short end that most people don't even realize is there (it makes stump and junctional dressings REALLY easy). I also have the same CLEER EDC bandage as you for use in the BFG Micro Trauma Kit.

If the OLAES barely fits, the NAR will fit quite nicely without busting your seams and still giving you a "full size" wrap. Keep the CLEER one for more size constrained options where it's your only choice (I use the very marginal H&H mini bandage for this purpose, too).
    Last edited by TGS; 04-17-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The 24" tail will be a bit short for more complex wraps, like if you have to dress a junctional wound with a harness-style wrap on a larger person (think a wound in the armpit, and wrapping round the shoulder and across the back to the opposite shoulder for an anchor....almost looks like you're making a shoulder holster).

With that said, the OLAES is obnoxiously large and I find its components to be gimmicky with a weak bandage. The NAR is my favorite due to the very robust ACE-quality bandage, with the Israeli being really useful because of the loop in the short end that most people don't even realize is there (it makes stump and junctional dressings REALLY easy). I also have the same CLEER EDC bandage as you for use in the BFG Micro Trauma Kit.

If the OLAES barely fits, the NAR will fit quite nicely without busting your seams and still giving you a "full size" wrap. Keep the CLEER one for more size constrained options where it's your only choice (I use the very marginal H&H mini bandage for this purpose, too).
    Sounds like the same conclusion I came to. I got the OLAES flat pack bandage in my kit after scotch-taping the excess packaging (did it to my NPA and chest seal packaging too), but it's still a bit snug. I'll probably toss a NAR 4" flat in my next order since I've decided I want to build up a BFG MTKN! as well.

User Tag List