Thread: PR24

PR24

I've been using a 29" straight stick baton since 2006 and haven't touched the old PR24 since then. I always felt the side-handle was kind of a gimmick and that "real cops" carried the straight stick. Pretty much everyone in my department now carries a straight stick in some form.

I was at defensive tactics training today and I forgot my baton so I grabbed a spare PR24 out of the closet to use. It's bizarre how much your brain and body remembers. I used the thing all day, and I got to say, I liked it! I may have to go back to carrying one.

Site Supporter
    Wish I could carry mine again, in limited circumstances...I miss some of the takedowns and controls...I am sure everyone knows the unique sound of a PR24 bouncing along the pavement in a foot chase, right? Or the sight of a running officer reaching down in front of them trying to collect the baton that they kicked or somehow lost from their ring...

pat

My ASP sits in a drawer in the back of my Tahoe. If I need a baton I take the PR24.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

It was a great tool and I'd like to be able to be re-certified with it. I never hit anyone with one but I did a good armlock on a guy in a bar parking lot many years ago.

Like anything, if you trained and knew what you were doing, you could do exceptional work with a PR24. I really liked them for vehicle extractions, take downs and come alongs. During my PR-24 time, it was also when I carried both a huge Sap and a rechargeable Maglite. Those were really my impact weapons, and the PR24 was used mainly for other tasks. When we lost the Saps and post Rodney King, I went back to a straight stick. Technique allowed for me to generate a ton of power out of a straight stick. I broke a guy's femur with a single strike, so they do have the capability of generating a ton of power. Once we went to Asp's, I went to a riot stick when I needed a baton. Didn't take it out a lot, but when folks saw you show up with a riot stick in the ring, it got attention.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I always thought the act of stepping from the squad on a contact and dropping that 26" straight stick into the ring was a lovely and effective non-verbal communication technique.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

The government department I work for contracts with a State LE agency for event security. We organized a public event yesterday that had the potential to be "energetic". So I was pleased to see all the uniformed guys rocking PR24's.

Site Supporter
    Agree 100% on the PR-24. Of course, I think Monadnock doomed its own product with so much of the torso being red and yellow zones. The PR-24 could be really effective with jabs, thrusts, and chops, but there would be the risk of that being an issue in a law suit.

At my current agency, I am allowed and do carry my PR24 in lieu of my ASP.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

The older beat cops I knew when I first got on the job were amazing with a nightstick and used it quite effectively. Considered volatile in our racially charged society, the nightstick quietly died and mostly disappeared from most officers' gun belts; next the nightstick never made it from their POV to the patrol car when going in service. The PR 24 came along and we got certified in its use. I also considered it a gimmick and never achieved any real competence with it so it sat next to my nightstick.

User Tag List