Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling tonneau cover for pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I had a vinyl tonneau cover on a Chevy pick-up for a long time. The old school, roll it by hand type and it worked well, both in weather proofing the bed and storing open. I kept a broom stick in the bed to make rolling it up easier. It did shrink a bit after a few years but just shortening the bows a bit solved that.
    Same experience here. Fifteen years old and the only thing that went bad were the snaps on the corners but the Velcro still holds. The soft cover also lets you cheat a little when stuff is taller than the bed rails and you can get to stuff in the front with out taking the cover completely off. Not as secure as the hard covers which do a better job of keeping the honest people out.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I may change my mind, but right now I'm not considering
    1) soft covers of any kind
    2) hard covers (I.e. Fiberglass) of any kind other than rolling
    3) any sort of tri-fold regardless of hard or soft
    4) camper shells

I have various amounts of experience with all of these types, and that's experience is the reason that today the bed is totally uncovered. Hard rolling is the only option I see for me. And preferably one that can support 200+ lbs, and has rack/rail options for over th bed. Tool storacpge in/on the can would be a major plus too. So far the Truck Covers USA is the only one I know of that has all three.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    None of the rolling covers that I'm aware of claim 100% waterproof. Hell, even my old camper shell cover wasn't! What they do is gutter and hose the water from the top and the can to drain holes to get it out of the bed. Key is to keep your dry stuff up off the floor. For me, the lack of 100% dry doesn't matter.
    A thick rubber bed mat to keep stuff up off the floor is worth it, let's the water channel underneath.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    I have had a Retrax One cover for about 5 years now. I bought it on the recommendation of a guy I work with. The only thing I don't like about it is the amount of bed space it takes up in my little 4 foot bed ( crew cab frontier).

Mine isn't totally waterproof but that's more a function of my bed than the cover. They supply weatherstripping for you to put along the bottom edge of the tailgate, but the gap in mine is too big to seal that way. The drains have not clogged up in spite of the amount of leaves, pine needles, etc that get on the thing.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I have a Bakflip F1
    https://bakindustries.com/p-8215-bak...-overview.html
    and am very happy with it. There are lots of options, but not so many for my 8' bed when I bought it. They have improved the seal so you can shut the tailgate with the cover closed, a significant improvement. Avoid anything with aluminum on the top surface, it will dent (the F1 is aluminum on the bottom, and it gets dented closing it on top of stuff.

This is looking very interesting to me. Especially the fact that it is easily removable. Best can-size would be no-can-size.
    https://www.peragon.com/truck-tonneau-covers-features/

I wonder if it is compatible with any rack systems?

Site Supporter
    None of the rolling covers that I'm aware of claim 100% waterproof. Hell, even my old camper shell cover wasn't! What they do is gutter and hose the water from the top and the can to drain holes to get it out of the bed. Key is to keep your dry stuff up off the floor. For me, the lack of 100% dry doesn't matter.
    My revolverx2 is virtually rainproof. In a downpour, I get a minor leak in a corner where the cover system attaches to the bed. No leaks in the "rolling" channel. You can get some water intrusion where the bottom of the tailgate meets the body of the truck but that is not a cover issue. I like the revolverx2 - I just wish it aged better. It is quite secure - you can break in but you would have to work at it.

Rolling tonneau cover for pickup

I've been looking at these
    https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/covers

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collec...v-sxs-carriers

Can be set up to load utv/atv on top, they do carry a load well. Pricey for sure, just another option.

FYI I have no experience with this cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 09-10-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

This is looking very interesting to me. Especially the fact that it is easily removable. Best can-size would be no-can-size.
    https://www.peragon.com/truck-tonneau-covers-features/

I wonder if it is compatible with any rack systems?

Looks like this "rack hack" would work perfectly!

Just not tower compatible for longer items like canoes etc.

Rob,
    If you try one of those please post an update with your impressions. I ran across those a while back and had forgotten about them.
    For some reason, I wonder if they are prone to rattling? They just look...noisy...to me. Totally speculative.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List