Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCM mid-length Carbines

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Not sure. I would have rather bought an MLOK rail myself but I'm not really tied to either platform, and they didn't have any other MLOK rails that I would want (like a Geissele or MI).

Sad panda.
    The announced one awhile back - maybe SHOT?

MLOK is stronger and cheaper to make. Not to mention it will be the new .MIL standard going forward. I like my BCM but I won't be buying anything keymod going forward.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-04-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

MLOK is stronger and cheaper to make. Not to mention it will be the new .MIL standard going forward. I like my BCM but I won't be buying anything keymod going forward.
    I was thinking about this the other night. I had formed the same opinion as above, but then I really took a moment and asked myself, "Why?". I think MLOK is stronger, but doesn't that come at the cost of being slightly heavier? The only thing I direct mount to a rail is a flashlight. Well, perhaps a qd sling mount, but these days I would just go with a Blue Force Gear UWL anyway. For $12 it can mount just about anywhere.

So how strong does the attachment point for my lightweight flashlight really need to be? To me, for my purposes, it boils down to weight difference. If a keymod rail has any significant weight savings compared to the equivalent MLOK, I would probably still go with keymod.

If I had some other kind of gear/capability that needed to live directly attached to my rail, then I would feel differently. As it stands, I've recently switched to a Streamlight DualFuel light on my BCM middy, just to make it a little bit lighter.

All that being said, I have no idea what the weight difference between the available keymod and MLOK rails actually is, and I'm not in the market at the moment. Just something that crossed my mind that seemed relevant to somebody looking to purchase a BCM middy. Either way, I think the barreled uppers are a very high quality tool for the money.

I hear ya. But my AR15s, sans social collapse, are range queens. There's not really any practical difference for me.

When their MLOK version comes out, I'll probably pick one up with a 410SS recce upper.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hopefully their mlok rails and quad rails will be out soon, it appears they have a menu option for them on the website now but nothing listed when you go to those pages.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Keymod is easier to use and it's ghetto as hell with timing nuts.

It's a more elegant version of drilling holes on the plastic handguards and use wing nuts.

BCM 14.5 middys are fantastic. Can't beat the ELW-F with the OG KMR.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I hear ya. But my AR15s, sans social collapse, are range queens. There's not really any practical difference for me.

When their MLOK version comes out, I'll probably pick one up with a 410SS recce upper.
    The buearu is already running all MLOK. Given Fed LE procurement follows .MIL expect to see other fed LE rifles with MLOK over the next 10 years.

Personally, I hate have having multiple systems, especially as keymod goes away and accessories for it dry up. Been down the Betamax road before. Plus keymod looks like shit.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-04-2017 at 09:44 PM.

I'll probably only buy MLOK going forward, though I do have two KeyMod rails and don't feel a need to change. I do love BCM though. Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying anything else. BCM is a great company that makes fantastic products at reasonable prices. Hard to beat. Currently I have one lower, two uppers, and a ton of accessories.

Love my BCM uppers, but at $725 for a complete gun, near term future money is going to the Colt Trooper 6920 with the Centurion MLOK rail.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The buearu is already running all MLOK. Given Fed LE procurement follows .MIL expect to see other fed LE rifles with MLOK over the next 10 years.

Personally, I hate have having multiple systems, especially as keymod goes away and accessories for it dry up. Been down the Betamax road before. Plus keymod looks like shit.
    no offense but what are you running on your rails where it is this big of concern? I say that as someone who doesn't plan on buying keymod again.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 09-04-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Love my BCM uppers, but at $725 for a complete gun, near term future money is going to the Colt Trooper 6920 with the Centurion MLOK rail.
    This is a great option and I'm happy to see it. If they ever start offering these good configurations with lightweight barrel profiles they'll have my money.

User Tag List