Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEM for a DA revolver fan?

LEM for a DA revolver fan?

After a long absence from the shooting sports and training I picked up my pistols again and started with my favorite semi-auto; a Colt .38 super. Due to life changes and two new jobs my training has been sporadic, fun and isolated to the Colt 1911.
    Yesterday I had the chance to run some drills with the Colt and then my long unused Smith 686. The Colt went as expected and I was comfortable. When I broke out the Smith I thought: don't expect much...
    Boy was I wrong! It felt like an old friend. I last competed with the revolver, I enjoyed the challenge and the long DA pull just agrees with me.

So my question is; if I do want a semi-auto is the HK series of LEM's the way to go? Most like a magazine fed revolver? With a lighter trigger pull? I do have a supply of P30 mags from a long gone DA/SA P30.
    The recent issues with the drop safeness of the VP 9 concerns me and it's not a DA pull, IMO.

The closest thing to a magazine-fed revolver in a semi-auto in my personal experience would be a Beretta 92D/92D Centurion, but they're only sporadically available on the auction sites (but when they are, they seem to be at decent prices).

Otherwise, particularly for a brand-new pistol, I'd highly recommend an HK LEM. My LEM experience is solely with my P30L with the V1 light LEM in .40, but I've been exceptionally pleased with it. It's a different beast than your Smith & Wesson, and, for that matter, the 92D, but it's an easily picked up skill-set, especially for one used to revolvers. Safety, accuracy, durability, reliability are all excellent, and ergos are unparalleled. Another reason to go HK at this point in time is their magazine incentive. For OEM sights, I also recommend the Meprolights that are an optional OEM choice, unless you're set on another after-market sight choice-if so, then go with the less expensive Lumenova OEM sights.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-04-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have a LEM P2000. I shoot it well, and my opinion is that my training in shooting double action revolvers contributes to my success here. I've owned and shot all types of center fire semi autos and am comfortable with all. I think that a LEM trigger is more forgiving than some other types in limiting the probability of negligent discharges. This statement would not apply to a group of optimally trained shooters using the best holster/belt gear. My HK LEM trigger has a long pull but is no way resembles a fine S&W double action trigger. Yet it is manageable. Within the LEM group I think that there are a couple different options offered that differ in pull weight.

I switched from DA revolvers to V1 LEM recently. I like it for the most part and find the transition hasn't been too difficult. The trigger is a long stroke back that is light, it stacks into weight a bit and then breaks.

If you're any good at staging a revolver trigger, it feels a lot like when you're holding the "staged" part of the trigger, aligning the sights, and then pressing the break. That's about the best I can explain the LEM. But you get to the "staging" portion really quick, because there isn't much weight on it.

If you're looking for a rolling "revolver-like" trigger in a semi-auto, then buy a Kahr. Kahr has the most revolver-like triggers of all semi-autos and they're quite good out of the box. Better than 3rd gen Smiths and D-Spring equipped Berettas.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-04-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Not even close to any DA pull. The LEM is like a long travel, heavy Glock trigger.

I've never owned an LEM, but I did get to play with a P30 V1 that was owned by a friend on day. I got pretty solid results out of it by using the same technique that I use to shoot a DA revolver, just roll the trigger back while aiming the entire time, rinse and repeat.

I doubt I could do fast splits with one and have any real accuracy, but for shooting at evaluation pace, it was pretty darn good.

You might be interested in the Sig P250 line. A true DAO trigger that is very agreeable. Sig is discontinuing them to focus on 320 production....they use the same grip modules and magazines. They can be had for ~$400 or so.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Another vote for the p250. I really like mine and wish I got a .380 as well. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could have Rick Helm at Lazy Wolf guns work an HK LEM into a thing of beauty. I have the carry makeover so the trigger at 4.5 lbs. is heavy for competition, but it doesn't feel that "heavy" and the reset is very short. I do like LEM for carry

Site Supporter
    I am that odd guy who liked the DAK over the LEM. A DAK P250 would be my main gun of choice if it existed.

User Tag List