Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is assaulting an officer actually punished?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    A lot has changed since I wore a badge, but I always ensured that Assault on a Public Safety Officer was punished appropriately....... the charges may have been reduced, or even dropped as part of a deal, but the offense itself never went unpunished.
    Did you ever hear Uncle Pat's stories on this? One involved a fairly well known actor.
    #RESIST

Charged yes, actual jail time was rare unless someone was seriously hurt. I had a crazy woman try an bite my thumb off once and that didn't even rate probation in one area of the state I was working at the time.

Jail time? Not likely. Assault on LEO is a misdemeanor here in NC. However, spit on us and it's a Class F felony. Ive had a few fights wherein they were charged with misdemeanors...never a day in jail. I've been bitten twice by humans. Once on the right forearm and once on the right hip. When I got bit on the hip I had arrested the female for hitting another female in the bean with a crescent wrench. She ended up on the street in the fetal position by the time I got my hands on her. About that time that ho' latched on like a snapping turtle and I felt a burning pain. When I looked down all I saw was her latched on...so I responded to the threat. She had "track hair" weaved in...and when I got finished the track hair was laying in the street. I ended up surrounded by about 12-15 people with my back on a lightpole...spraying anyone that got close with OC. I ended up using the cresent wrench to fend off a few people before help arrived. I ended up in the ER to get a tetanus shot...there is more to that story...but safe to say I went home at the end of the shift and we took a few to jail. She pled guilty and got probation.

I wish the courts and legislature would back LE more...I won't hold my breath.

3 years 3 months...and I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Jail time? Not likely. Assault on LEO is a misdemeanor here in NC. However, spit on us and it's a Class F felony. Ive had a few fights wherein they were charged with misdemeanors...never a day in jail. I've been bitten twice by humans. Once on the right forearm and once on the right hip. When I got bit on the hip I had arrested the female for hitting another female in the bean with a crescent wrench. She ended up on the street in the fetal position by the time I got my hands on her. About that time that ho' latched on like a snapping turtle and I felt a burning pain. When I looked down all I saw was her latched on...so I responded to the threat. She had "track hair" weaved in...and when I got finished the track hair was laying in the street. I ended up surrounded by about 12-15 people with my back on a lightpole...spraying anyone that got close with OC. I ended up using the cresent wrench to fend off a few people before help arrived. I ended up in the ER to get a tetanus shot...there is more to that story...but safe to say I went home at the end of the shift and we took a few to jail. She pled guilty and got probation.

I wish the courts and legislature would back LE more...I won't hold my breath.

3 years 3 months...and I'm done.
    I gotta admit you got a snort out of me halfway through your tale, KeeFus. When you're out this way in western NC let me know so I can stand you a beer or other beverage of your choice.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The other "joke charge" is fleeing to elude. Even when the law is very clear cut, like we have in Tennessee, we almost never get prosecutors to pursue it. If they do charge, they always go for the misdemeanor count, not the felony, even when the felony guidelines are exceeded by vast amounts. Apparently the right to run from and fight the police is enshrined in some informal Constitution somewhere.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Assault a Police Officer expect some serious probation. County Attorney charging standards dont you know.

Assault a Police Dog you're getting some DOC time plus some ER time...
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I gotta admit you got a snort out of me halfway through your tale, KeeFus. When you're out this way in western NC let me know so I can stand you a beer or other beverage of your choice.
    Sounds like a plan. We get up that way every few years. I'm currently on my phone at Fort Jackson waiting to see my son graduate Army BCT and I'm on my phone. There is more to that true story...but I will wait until I retire to share it any where.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Sounds like a plan. We get up that way every few years. I'm currently on my phone at Fort Jackson waiting to see my son graduate Army BCT and I'm on my phone. There is more to that true story...but I will wait until I retire to share it any where.
    I'll look forward to hearing it. And congrats to your son. Transylvania County awaits your arrival.
    Last edited by blues; 09-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Having grown up in the deep South, I'm aware that some folks are quicker to bite than others. This propensity is well known to police and correctional workers.

I 2010, I got 4 years on a drunk in Texas that resisted the old non-refusable blood draw by swinging and clawing. Life hasn't worked out so well since, he was convicted of being a habitual offender and deemed not fit for society in the Lone Star State.

User Tag List