Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is assaulting an officer actually punished?

I personally will not dismiss:

- Fleeing/evading charges (within reason -- the "he went on for two more blocks after I blue-lighted him" ones I don't deal with)
    - Assaulting an officer (to include spitting).

That's not an official policy, just my own thing in my own little kingdom.

Long story .. Short version had a fight with a Cop in the 70's.
    He lost badly . I let him arrest me .. I truly could have wasted him with my bare hands.

Went to Court .. big shot Lawyer got me out of it with nothing on my record.
    The Cop hit me first during a traffic stop at 2am .. I was working as a Bouncer (doorman) at the time.

I did not start the fight.
    My lawyer worked out at the Gym and only charged me 100 bucks .. The good old 70's.

When I went to become a CO years later nothing was on my record .. since than I have helped out a few Cops having problems on the Street.
    Now at 64 .. I would help defend a Cop with my last drop of blood .... if he or she was in a life and death situation .. That's not a BS line and anyone who knows me would know that.

I've seen our state judges dismiss assault on officer charges because getting hit is "part of the job".

However, a few years ago I was in a fight with a convicted felon who had 2 firearms on him, and tried unsuccessfully to take my gun from my holster. The US Attorney's Office picked it up and hammered that guy. They even charged him with felon in possession for the few seconds he had his hand around the grip of my gun. He got 23 years.

A guy pulled a gun on our deputies; got shot for his trouble, and is now serving 15 years in prison with five more on probation to follow.

Two nights later, a guy pulled a gun on a cop in the neighboring county, got shot for his troubles, and he got probation.

The two counties are in the same judicial circuit with the same district attorney and the same judges.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

1: Deputy winds up in a fight in a minivan. Perpetrator gets the Deputy's gun and says "I got you now bitch!" Shot gets fired and a bystander intervenes. Deputy isn't hurt. Perpetrator gets 7 years probation..........
    2: Officer gets struck by a car fleeing a traffic stop and gets minor injuries. Perpetrator gets 3 years probation.
    3: Officer gets his food spit in at a restaurant by one of the employees. Perpetrator gets 1 year community corrections.
    4: Illegal alien tries to stab a narcotics officer during a reverse. Charge gets dismissed in settlement.

I can go on. These were just the first four I thought of.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Very compitent deputy prosecutor took the case and destroyed suspect, her lawyer, and her family.
    Good.

I realize that the source has its own biases but this is pretty par for the judicial course:
    https://bluelivesmatter.blue/judge-s...robert-french/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Very interesting responses. I was just curious if healthcare and LE were similar with regards to "minor " workplace violence and lack of actual response, and it seems they are identical.

I don't know, but where I work you'd better have good health care insurance if you hit or spit on a cop. And no copper with any experience expects any more justice from the courts than the bad guy does. Coin toss for all involved.

User Tag List