Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do recent events cause you to reconsider the "safety" of your EDC

Do recent events cause you to reconsider the "safety" of your EDC

The Sig 320, Canik, Enel's mallet, and our forum's deep dive into how various pistol safety systems work, have given me a lot to think about when evaluating carry guns. You too?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The Sig 320, Canik, Enel's mallet, and our forum's deep dive into how various pistol safety systems work, have given me a lot to think about when evaluating carry guns. You too?
    Its made me really look toward well tested and utilized platforms. Glock and 92fs seem like two of the most used and tested firearms on our side of the pond. Makes me consider just sticking with those two for the foreseeable future.

Yes, drop safety of carry guns has crossed my mind. The biggest impact is that I am not willing to be a beta tester for pistols like the Gen 5 Glock 19. The next biggest impact has been to reinforce my belief that I require my striker-fired pistols to be equipped with Gadget (SCD). Not drop safety, but another layer of safety when holstering.

Yes. I've ordered an HKP30SK, my first HK. "Has hammer."

Also, I'm taking more seriously Todd's advice not to mess with factory trigger parts.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 09-03-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Yes--I'm feeling good about my decision to go back to carrying a G19 or 43. (Even though the p320c offers a bit of a performance advantage, I found the Glock easier to carry. )

Now that I've determined the 320 is not drop safe, they are shelved until I'm confident the solution is both safe and reliable.

For me, this issue underscores why not to be an early adopter.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Nope. I've never carried any of the new guys. Early on it was revolvers and 1911. For better then a decade, its either Glock or a Beretta TDA.

It's certainly validated some of my existing choices; fortuitously my major platforms are Beretta (92D), HK (P30L and VP40) and Glock (G17, G19, G21, G22, G34). And the venerable Ruger P89, and several 1911s. It's probably added a criteria element to future considerations.

Interestingly, I'd somewhat considered a P320 some time ago, as my primary sponsor is one of their magazine vendors, so I probably could have worked something out, but I decided that it really didn't seem to bring anything critically needed to my table, and then there would have the additional acquisitions of holsters, magazine pouches, etc.

We seem to have had the most open-minded and even-handed approach approach to the kerfluffle, but that's kind of the p-f norm, given the maturity and experience of many of the members.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-03-2017 at 05:56 PM.

No...
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Here is my concern with certain fully tensioned striker pistols like the VP9 and PPQ. Enel and his mallet have demonstrated that the striker can release with the wrong hit at the wrong spot. Leaving aside a dead trigger, which I can deal with, it makes those pistols dependent upon the firing pin block safety to prevent a discharge. The Glock and P10-C have an additional safety, which means two systems have to fail to discharge.

I spend lots of time in the air, and could easily visualize a high G situation. I would really hate to survive a crash, and have my pistol discharge in my appendix holster because of some malfunction, like a dirty pistol with a gummed up firing pin safety not working that day.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Before the P320 flap and the mallet trsts I was reevaluating returning to DA/SA pistols for carry instead of my Glock. Some of the reasoning was ability to make the gun run with one hand. A friend need up getting attacked in a parking lot by a drugged up assailant. He got blind side rushed on his strong side and knocked to the ground. He 3 o'clock carried a 1911. He struggled to clear the pustol from the holster. He struggled for control of the pistol, and struggled to deactivate the manual safety. During the struggle the assailant was gnawing on his cheek. He ended up with significant scars and a change in ehere and what he carries now.

I also thought back to my own deployment experience and thd DA trigger preventing me from shooting someone I would have regretted shooting.

So, I was already in the process of reconsidering my carry platform.

after the P320 "Situation" there were some thoughtful posts and discussion on how the market drove the industry to develop these fully tensioned striker fired pistols in persuit of the lighter, crisper, and faster trigger. Part of this pursuit seems to come from the competition side of things. As the pistols displayed these great triggers for better split times, less pistol disturbance when pulled and a easier shallower learning curve to master, practical shooters running against these pustols in IPSC, and USPSA probably got tired of having their butts handed to them by less experienced shooters. The real practical shooters bought some, and like many gun owners do, they became "invested" in them. They defended using them
    In defensive roles, because it is easier to justify the ammo and training budget on practicing with the same platform you carry. Then running what you carry also offers some comfort.

I'm wondering if there should not be a division of striker fired pistols for competition and another segment for real world combative use. Should there be DA or partly staged striker guns for carry and fully tensioned guns for racing? Are there blurred lines of what competitive practical shooting is and what practical combative shooting is? How many folks here actually compete with the same carry rigs they use for EDC to include holsters and mag carriers. Anyone carry IWB, but race with a competition hanger holster and a half dozen mags on their external race rig belts?

I'm not trying to be preachy or judgemental. Just trying to see how far we in the shooting community have contributed to blurring the lines of sport and defensive shooting.

User Tag List