Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Just did my first ever kettlebell workout. I did this one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsC5EnZq-LU

The only thing I couldn't do on time was the single overhead presses (have to work on those).

We'll see how I feel later/tomorrow because right now I don't feel too bad.
    My question now, is "how often?"

I'm still feeling pretty good several hours later, and I'm used to doing body-weight stuff five days a week, so how often should I start with the kettlebells? Two or three days a week (for a couple weeks)? Five days/wk.?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Duplicate.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 01-24-2024 at 01:22 PM.
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

I'm still feeling pretty good several hours later, and I'm used to doing body-weight stuff five days a week, so how often should I start with the kettlebells? Two or three days a week (for a couple weeks)? Five days/wk.?
    The guidelines are based on recovery and are notoriously variable. Basically, if you cannnot meet or exceed on Day Two what you did on Day One, you have not permitted yourself enough recovery days.
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

The recovery protocol just posted is sound.

Or start out trying everyother day with a long cardio day in between each. You need both. Later you'll explore HIIT for a couple a week.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    The guidelines are based on recovery and are notoriously variable. Basically, if you cannnot meet or exceed on Day Two what you did on Day One, you have not permitted yourself enough recovery days.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The recovery protocol just posted is sound.

Or start out trying every other day with a long cardio day in between each. You need both. Later you'll explore HIIT for a couple a week.
    So... try the workout tomorrow and see if I can keep it up. If I can, keep going on a more frequent schedule (every day or maybe several days a week), if not, dial it back and rest for a day or two and do that until I can increase the frequency?
    ― Ennius

Yes, recovery is important but it can take different forms depending on health, age, accumulated injuries, etc. I was born in 1944, so the things appropriate for me would be grossly uninteresting to a young fellow. For example, I can no longer work out at anything approaching a strenuous level. That's the bad part. The good part is that I don't need as much recovery time as a twenty year old powerlifter might require.

What follows is not a recommendation. It is simply an illustration of how recovery periods might be structured to accomodate "heavy" days.

Monday and Thurs: Strength: Chinups and dips (the heavy days: low reps per set, many sets).
    Tuesday and Friday: Endurance: Kettlebell Mile, KB snatches (per "The Quick and the Dead"), and Captains of Crush grippers.

That is not a four consecutive day menu. The Tue/Fri program is sufficiently different that there is no significant conflict with M/Thur. Tuesday and Fridays are, in essence, leg work and relative to the upper body days constitute periods of active recovery.

The chins and dips work opposing muscle groups, generally a good thing. The KB Mile, a whole body exercise that addresses long, slow endurance, interdigitates with snatches which approach sprints in their explosive movement. Having both long-term and explosive endurance worked the same day(s) is surprisingly beneficial. Exercising the grip benefits everything. If you can't pick it up, you can't lift it.

Cordially,
    Duces

If you don’t feel tore up then sure. Pavel has another program of pushups and swings every day (StrongFirst). It’s variable by the individual and intensity.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

So, I'm just starting. I'm in my early 50's and would describe myself as "beginner athletic", so I bought a 35lb/16kg/1 pood kettlebell off Amazon, just to start with something. I bought "Simple and Sinister" and... well, I'll need to read it again. I would like some sort of "begin here" guide.
    I’d suggest ‘Enter the Kettlbell” for some basic instruction and the programming of swing and press. Pavel’s books tend to build on the previous releases.

https://www.amazon.com/Enter-Kettleb...s%2C225&sr=8-1

There are some great coaches in southern WI if you want some professional assistance. Or head up North and I can help

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Or head up North and I can help
    You mean, "Up Nort'."

I think I've settled on M-W-F for a couple weeks (base on the @Duces Tecum recovery theory). I do have a question, though:

When I do the rack/press grip, the "ball" of the kettlebell presses uncomfortably on my forearm. Do I:

1) Have a bad grip and need to change it?
    2) Have a cheap kettlebell with an incorrectly sized/shaped handle or "ball"?
    3) Just need to toughen the F up?
    ― Ennius

You mean, "Up Nort'."

I think I've settled on M-W-F for a couple weeks (base on the @Duces Tecum recovery theory). I do have a question, though:

When I do the rack/press grip, the "ball" of the kettlebell presses uncomfortably on my forearm. Do I:

1) Have a bad grip and need to change it?
    2) Have a cheap kettlebell with an incorrectly sized/shaped handle or "ball"?
    3) Just need to toughen the F up?

https://www.amazon.com/THEFITGUY-Ket.../dp/B08B3NW9X1

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List