Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells

After focusing on endurance running the past year, I got weak so I'm going back to Rob Shauls (Mountain Tactical Institute) programs since they've served me well in the past. My joints are too bad for heavy lifting these days so I pick his programs that rely on db/kb/sandbags, plus it can all be done in the barn so I don't have to go to a gym. Currently I'm in week 3 of a program aptly named... Humility.

Atomic athlete (loosely related to MTI) has similar programs that I've had success with.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

It's 2024 now - has anything changed in this space?

I see that a budget company called Yes4All has moved into the Amazon arena with powder coated options. Wondering if they are providing a real value, like a Holosun, or if they are somehow inferior in their geometry or execution?

I do a lot of cardio, and I work in a somewhat physical job, but have very little experience with strength training outside of basic body weight stuff. Unfortunately, being in a rural area, there are no trainers available to me locally (the local gym doesn't even have a trainer of any sort). Thought I'd perhaps benefit from getting some lighter options to learn certain of the movements as well as a 35 LB option that seems to be standard. I'm not a real big guy, in my early 40s, and the last thing I want to do is develop an injury.

A couple of Bells and a copy of Simple and Sinister (Pavel) will do you good…

On another note, someone told me their kids called Kettlebells “Jethro Balls” (From Beverly Hillbillies) and I thought it was hilarious.

@frozentundra, what are you looking to get out of them?
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    It's 2024 now - has anything changed in this space?
    are somehow inferior in their geometry or execution?
    Not really. It's just a metal ball with a handle. Unless you need "competition" kettlebells, just get something with a decent finish. I got some years ago that had a hard rubber base pad, which is nice, but not necessary, and I have one without it, and it doesn't bother me.

Thought I'd perhaps benefit from getting some lighter options to learn certain of the movements as well as a 35 LB option that seems to be standard. I'm not a real big guy, in my early 40s, and the last thing I want to do is develop an injury.
    Be cautious, as you can go too light to start, and it will allow you to do things like swings (the most basic KB movement), with poor form. Get something heavy enough that you need to use proper form. I usually recommend starting with about 20-25% of your body weight, and moving up once you learn proper form.

Also, stay away from the "American Swing" (aka CrossFit swing), unless you are prepping for a CrossFit competition. The American Swing is horrible for your shoulders, and back. Stick to the Russian swing.

https://breakingmuscle.com/rationali...wing-is-wrong/

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    @frozentundra, what are you looking to get out of them?
    Well, I suppose I'm mostly trying to build functional strength. I run between 30 to 40 miles per week lately, often doing a half marathon or more distance on the weekends. I'm totally biased towards cardio training, with a bit of zone 5 VO2 Max mixed in . I find it relatively easy and enjoyable. Just put on a podcast or audiobook and cruise.

Been following Peter Attia via his podcast for a little while now, and I guess I'm trying to see if kettlebells could be a good avenue for me to approach my "centenarian decathlon" if you get the reference-Avoid sarcopenia as I head into middle 40s and beyond. Strength training without loosing too much cardio or range of motion would be the goal, but I totally don't know what I don't know about strength training. I thought a 26 lb weight may be good for learning form with Turkish getups or similar, and 35 would be the commonly recommended size to use. I'm only about 5'8" and 150 something pounds.

Also thought of I had a cheaper kettlebell, and it seems like the kettlebell approach works for me, I could buy a nicer one in the future and, then use the cheaper one outside as a beater. I don't mind spending money on health related items, but there is a pretty big price difference between the new crop of Amazon products and the legacy nicer ones.

I really just don't want to buy something that is ergonomically inferior and have that negativity affect form. They look similar, but maybe subtle differences could be there that I'm simply not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I really just don't want to buy something that is ergonomically inferior and have that negativity affect form. They look similar, but maybe subtle differences could be there that I'm simply not aware of.
    This.

I like my Rep Fitness bells best. Ergonomically sound, appropriate texture. Flat base.

https://repfitness.com/products/kettlebells-kg

https://www.amazon.com/stores/RepFit...1-974E39F230A9

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Rep has good stuff, and I have some of their equipment, including one of their barbells. Rep is like the Holosun of fitness gear. They are a US company, selling mostly Chinese made stuff, but its generally regarded as quality gear.

Generally this site, www.garagegymreviews.com/ , has good reviews, but seem a bit biased in favor of REP lately. Here is their recommendations for Kettlebells:
    https://www.garagegymreviews.com/best-kettlebells

I have settled on Great Lakes Girya for bells. They have frequent sales.

@frozentundra you might find this book helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Barb...5-3f6ee14cf5aa

Edited to add that Geoff Neupert has a lot of great kettlebell oriented programs. I have Easy Muscle by him which is 3 x 20 to 30 minute workouts per week designed for people with reduced recovery capabilities due to age and or stress. You are still definitely putting in some work with that program.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

User Tag List