Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    I have settled on Great Lakes Girya for bells. They have frequent sales.

@frozentundra you might find this book helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Barb...5-3f6ee14cf5aa

Edited to add that Geoff Neupert has a lot of great kettlebell oriented programs. I have Easy Muscle by him which is 3 x 20 to 30 minute workouts per week designed for people with reduced recovery capabilities due to age and or stress. You are still definitely putting in some work with that program.
    Thanks for the info. I had just placed an order for a Rouge Fitness E-coat kettlebell just before I saw this post. It's only like $20 more than the Rep Fitness brand from Amazon, but the Rouge is actually manufactured in Michigan. I like to buy American when it's realistic, and this was one of those times.

I wonder if the Great Lakes Girya E-coat bells are made in the same foundry? I googled that page, but the link for kettlebells just gave me an error code.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Dan John's 10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge has been good for me.
    In general I like Dan John's methods.
    Bring this up from 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Well, I suppose I'm mostly trying to build functional strength. I run between 30 to 40 miles per week lately, often doing a half marathon or more distance on the weekends. I'm totally biased towards cardio training, with a bit of zone 5 VO2 Max mixed in . I find it relatively easy and enjoyable. Just put on a podcast or audiobook and cruise.

Been following Peter Attia via his podcast for a little while now, and I guess I'm trying to see if kettlebells could be a good avenue for me to approach my "centenarian decathlon" if you get the reference-Avoid sarcopenia as I head into middle 40s and beyond. Strength training without loosing too much cardio or range of motion would be the goal, but I totally don't know what I don't know about strength training. I thought a 26 lb weight may be good for learning form with Turkish getups or similar, and 35 would be the commonly recommended size to use. I'm only about 5'8" and 150 something pounds.

Also thought of I had a cheaper kettlebell, and it seems like the kettlebell approach works for me, I could buy a nicer one in the future and, then use the cheaper one outside as a beater. I don't mind spending money on health related items, but there is a pretty big price difference between the new crop of Amazon products and the legacy nicer ones.

I really just don't want to buy something that is ergonomically inferior and have that negativity affect form. They look similar, but maybe subtle differences could be there that I'm simply not aware of.
    I think you are on the right track. When I started out with kettlebells I saved money on buying from Walmart. Then I changed to Rogue and spent more money and it is worth it. I've used multiple economy brand kbs where the handle isn't wide enough to avoid pinching the hands in a two handed grip until I get to the #60 bell. My hands anyway.

IMO quality matters in this equipment like most others.

There is a lot of good video content on proper kb technique. The basic hardstyle swing is such a great foundational exercise and its easy to train hard safely unless you don't learn the movement right and make it a squat or upright rowing abortion.

I think this vid breaks it down pretty well.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    ...Then I changed to Rogue and spent more money and it is worth it. I've used multiple economy brand kbs where the handle isn't wide enough to avoid pinching the hands in a two handed grip until I get to the #60 bell. My hands anyway.

IMO quality matters in this equipment like most others.
    Does Rogue ever offer free shipping on their kb's?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Does Rogue ever offer free shipping on their kb's?
    I believe the only time I've gotten free shipping on KBs through Rogue is during their Matte Black Friday sale some years back. I think in recent years they dialed the free shipping offer back a little, but in any case their Black Friday sale is their big event of the year when it comes to deals on product and shipping.

@frozentundra

I'd say, if you want minimal interference with the road work, with the minimum amount of thought out into it, signing up at Dan John University and doing his Workout Generator will get you a version of his Easy Strength, customized to your time and equipment. Worth the cost.

Even doing his ABC (Armor Building Complex) a few times a few times a week, with maybe 50-100 swings (as few sets as you can, up the weight when it's one set).

If you wanted harder work, I would try the Dry Fighting Weight Remix: https://www.reddit.com/r/Kettleballs...eb2x&context=3

I know the folks that modified the original program to be that, and tested it. It works, and will actually make you stronger in a decent timeframe, unlike a lot of kettlebell work.

For general info, that wiki is good: https://www.reddit.com/r/Kettleballs/wiki/index/

For equipment, I personally don't mind cheap. I have a Rogue bell that is nicer than my Weiders and CAPs I got on sale through Walmart, but not enough for me to care. Personal preference, I suppose.

In general, I think that if you are using kettlebells as your primary strength modality, you should have a bell or two you can press 3-8 times or so, and a bigger one you can swing 8-20 times or so. That gives you room to get work done on the important exercises with some time efficiency, without it turning into cardio.

The 10K Swing Challenge is great if you are the person who likes to jump into things. And bear in mind it is a challenge, not a long term workout plan.

A pullup bar and ab wheel are great additions.

I don't love Simple and Sinister. I think if you need truly minimalist, I would drop the Turkish Getups in favor of something more useful.

If all that is overwhelming, just say so, or drop me a PM. I have no technical qualifications, but have trained several people from weak to pretty strong, and helped a number of stronger people with injuries and getting around plateaus. I'd happily advise on a little programming for you if you wanted.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

So, I'm just starting. I'm in my early 50's and would describe myself as "beginner athletic", so I bought a 35lb/16kg/1 pood kettlebell off Amazon, just to start with something. I bought "Simple and Sinister" and... well, I'll need to read it again. I would like some sort of "begin here" guide.
    ― Ennius

So, I'm just starting. I'm in my early 50's and would describe myself as "beginner athletic", so I bought a 35lb/16kg/1 pood kettlebell off Amazon, just to start with something. I bought "Simple and Sinister" and... well, I'll need to read it again. I would like some sort of "begin here" guide.
    Same. (Well, later 50's...)
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

OH you cannot go wrong with Pavel! Smart tough dudes, smarter and toughter than me on my best day make convincing cases for the 16Kg bell. If you learn it right and hit it like it owes you money you can go a long way with a 35/16. 100 swing sets of the 35 were spiritual events for me. LOL
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    100 swing sets of the 35 were spiritual events for me. LOL
    As in, "Please, God, let me die"?

― Ennius

User Tag List