Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    You mean, "Up Nort'."

I think I've settled on M-W-F for a couple weeks (base on the @Duces Tecum recovery theory). I do have a question, though:

When I do the rack/press grip, the "ball" of the kettlebell presses uncomfortably on my forearm. Do I:

1) Have a bad grip and need to change it?
    2) Have a cheap kettlebell with an incorrectly sized/shaped handle or "ball"?
    3) Just need to toughen the F up?
    I’m not from here so I don’t talk funny

To answer your question, yes - it could be all or one of the issues. Your wrist should be locked and straight (see ETK). Different bells have different shapes and can affect where they land on the forearm. While not condoned, a pair of terry cloth tennis wristbands can help in the toughening up process. And you will get used to it eventually.

You mean, "Up Nort'."

I think I've settled on M-W-F for a couple weeks (base on the @Duces Tecum recovery theory). I do have a question, though:

When I do the rack/press grip, the "ball" of the kettlebell presses uncomfortably on my forearm. Do I:

1) Have a bad grip and need to change it?
    2) Have a cheap kettlebell with an incorrectly sized/shaped handle or "ball"?
    3) Just need to toughen the F up?
    My hunch is mostly #1.

I believe I have the technique properly. With that caveat, the forearm is not taking the brunt of the KB weight. Your flexed deltoid is and the forearm is to the front of the Kb steadying it in position.

Name:  racked kb.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  22.6 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I’m not from here so I don’t talk funny
    I'm originally from up there, so I can.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My hunch is mostly #1.

I believe I have the technique properly. With that caveat, the forearm is not taking the brunt of the KB weight. Your flexed deltoid is and the forearm is to the front of the Kb steadying it in position.

So, if I understand you correctly, I maybe need to hold my arm more vertically so that less of the weight of the bell is on my forearm. Makes sense.

ETA: So that my wrist and elbow are more in the same vertical plane.
    ― Ennius

So, if I understand you correctly, I maybe need to hold my arm more vertically so that less of the weight of the bell is on my forearm. Makes sense.

ETA: So that my wrist and elbow are more in the same vertical plane.
    Correct rack position:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Correct rack position:
    This looks a lot stronger for the heavier bell than how I do it with the mere 35. Don’t second guess Pavel! 😉
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm not a big fan of Pavel...mostly because of the way he communicates and the whole hype and infomercial style...not saying he doesn't offer good info. I find other sources of kettlebell information more to my taste.

Sorry, comrades.

(Dan John is another I can only take in limited doses...despite liking several of his ideas.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Pavel...mostly because of the way he communicates and the whole hype and infomercial style...not saying he doesn't offer good info. I find other sources of kettlebell information more to my taste.

Sorry, comrades.

(Dan John is another I can only take in limited doses...despite liking several of his ideas.)
    He plays the Mad Russian for all it’s worth, but his research and training has helped me a lot. One could draw an analogy with Ben Stoeger perhaps- hard to take but great instructor and shooter.

Dan John I’d love to have a few drinks with

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My hunch is mostly #1.

Correct rack position:
    Yup, needed to make my forearm a little more vertical to take some of the weight of the 'bell off my forearm. Maybe it's still the novelty, but I'm actually excided to do my workout these past few days, which hasn't been the case for a long time.
    ― Ennius

Yup, needed to make my forearm a little more vertical to take some of the weight of the 'bell off my forearm. Maybe it's still the novelty, but I'm actually excided to do my workout these past few days, which hasn't been the case for a long time.
    My eldest son is an advanced KB user (incl Turkish get ups with 100-125 lb bells) and he concurs with Norville's pic and wonders how I got to my technique. LOL

My recent playing around with each rack position suggests to me that the Pavel form requires greater exertion than the one I demo'd. That could be a disadvantage of mine. The goal isn't easier.

User Tag List