Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells

Kettlebells

For those who use kettlebells during workouts- do you recommend getting two of the same weight or a single kettlebell.
    Looking to spend some birthday money tomorrow and quit wasting money years ago on a gym membership.

I can afford a few different ones but want to know if users recommend a set or a single to get started.

Thanks!

Matt
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    For those who use kettlebells during workouts- do you recommend getting two of the same weight or a single kettlebell.
    Looking to spend some birthday money tomorrow and quit wasting money years ago on a gym membership.

I can afford a few different ones but want to know if users recommend a set or a single to get started.

Thanks!

Matt
    I think it depends on what your program is/will be. I'm currently on "the simple and sinister" program put forth by Pavel tsousouline (sp?). It calls for a single bell of each weight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Program dependent. If just starting out you've got far more to worry about with just one bell, let alone two. Add more at heavier weights once you're settled into a program of sorts and identify the need.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Here's a good program from Coach Dan John. You can see what one kB can do for you. http://danjohn.net/wp-content/uploads/cpkb2.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others said, its program dependent.

If you can afford it (sounds like you could), get two different weights if you're doing something like swings and Turkish get ups. A 35 and 52. If you're just doing swings, I'd recommend a 52# unless you're really lacking in fitness. Swings suck no matter what, but don't use a light weight to make it easier.

I bought a 35 to do swings. I read Pavel's book, then tried a session while videotaping my workout. Posted it online and was told my form (which I thought was good) was all f-ed up and it was suggested I seek a coach. Found a coach, who showed me the right way to do swings, and told me that I was using too light a kettlebell. So I bought one of his 52's and haven't regretted it.

The heavier weight keeps the form in check. Imagine lifting a 10 pound box overhead. You can use just about any form you want and not get injured, but the game changes when you're dealing with a 40# box.

I use dragon door kettlebells, and if you can wait until then, on the Black Friday weekend they have free shipping.

EDIT:

I wouldn't recommend the Pavel books but for programming Dan John (as Mark said) is good, as well as Josh Hillis. There's another eBook workout regimen by the Art of Strength that follows Pavel's routine that's decent.
    Last edited by Jay585; 09-03-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I'd start with a single 35-40lb bell for men and 20-25lb for women. That's heavy enough that you can't skimp on form and will have to use decent mechanics.

Kettlebells are a money pit and unless you just want to be good at kettlebell parlor tricks you can get by with just one. If you want two, get a second that's 15-25lbs heavier than the first.

Ader is one of the best brands and pretty common in the DFW area, their warehouse is in northwest Dallas if you want to do local pickup.

If you're just doing heavy swings you can buy a T-Swing handle from Black Widow TG (pictured below) or Hungarian core blaster from Sorinex. You can also DIY one with black pipe, but at some point the pipe with break at the threads, there's a little false economy in the DIY setup if you use it a lot. A local welder can fix up with something like the Sorinex for $75ish.

Name:  swing2.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  46.5 KB
    This one has a longer loading pin and will hold 8 x 25lb plates, and the handles have been shortened to just barely fit my carny hands. Good for Swings and duckwalks, and cost a heck of a lot less than 25-210lb set of bells.
    Last edited by txdpd; 09-03-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    How well versed are you in the techniques behind KB exercises? If not very, I'd suggest getting some coaching. The coach will also be able to recommend based on your program what Kettlebells to get in which order.

The traditional way I've been taught is to get 1 yellow (16kg), then get a second. Then get a green (24kg), then a second. Then a red (32kg), then a second. That pretty much covers everything, but it also depends on your starting fitness level. There are also ways to get more mileage from lighter bells without having to constantly buy more. Keep in mind that for overhead lifting exercises, you can hold the kettlebell bottom-up, and even lighter ones will become a challenge to stabilize--it will really show you if your technique is as solid as you think. The other thing you can do, is take two kettlebells in the same hand, and lift them. There is no rule against it--boom, your two 16kg just became one 32kg.

Also, I would suggest sticking to competition kettlebells. They are all the same exact outer dimensions, irrespective of mass, so your technique does not change. Iron kettlebells do, so how you mount them changes as weight goes up.

This is a pretty good buyers guide, I have found.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Dan John's 10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge has been good for me.
    In general I like Dan John's methods.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Dan John's 10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge has been good for me.
    In general I like Dan John's methods.
    I used to do something similar. Same 10/15/25/50 rep pattern, 50 pushups and a plank during commercial breaks while watching TV. Very rarely did I watch more than an hour of TV.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

If you like training with kettlebells, you should buy this book. It was a game changer for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Si.../dp/B00GF2HP9G
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

User Tag List